Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
SteerSafe for blowouts

Most of the discussion about the SteerSafe stabilizer deals with instability problems while driving in wind, etc. My MH is solid as a rock while driving in gusty crosswinds, meeting 18-wheelers, etc. My interest in the SteerSafe is protection in case of a blowout on a front tire. Have any of you had a blowout on the front while using the SteerSafe and what was your experience with it? Your opinions are very much appreciated!

Oh yes, one more question. Did you install the SteerSafe yourself or have someone else do it? How long did it take?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not convinced you need one for that purpose, but maybe it depends on driving skills. Review this video and I think that is all you need. Just my $0.02

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'm not convinced you need one for that purpose, but maybe it depends on driving skills. Review this video and I think that is all you need. Just my $0.02

Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page

GREAT info!!! Thx!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #4

Joe:

Good to see you came over from the other side to a MH. Nice looking box.

I had SteerSafe on a P30 chassis. No tire problems but felt better with it installed. On a wish list for the Freightliner.

Did the install in a couple of hours, easy DIY.

Regards
Jerry
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

Do not have the Steersafe but have the Safe-T-Plus Steering Control and I had a left front blow out while doing 70 mph(legal speed). One hand on wheel and never felt it. But sure heard it like a cannon shot and the left front dropped down. Killed cruse control and left the exhaust brake slow me down until I could pull off road. The Safe-T-Plus Steering Control paid for itself many times over that day.

No conection with Safe-T-Plus Steering Control, BUT a very happy customer!
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks! I was near Deming, NM when I started the thread. I was hoping to get them installed but the message on the answering machine said he had gone to an RV rally. Oh well, hopefully I can order them and install them myself if I decide to try them. Any other comments will be appreciated!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

I have a related question; I'm new to driving my National Dolpin 34DP. I'm noticing that the steering seems a little "vague" in that it seem to wander around when I'm driving, particularly in areas where the city pavement is worn or uneven. Is this a normal thing with a DP? Would one of the steering control systems mentioned here help that?

I haven't driven the unit enough to get accustomed to it, so maybe it's not a problem, but some input would be appreciated.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
GREAT info!!! Thx!

Kathryn
+1 here too.
fae
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
I have a related question; I'm new to driving my National Dolpin 34DP. I'm noticing that the steering seems a little "vague" in that it seem to wander around when I'm driving, particularly in areas where the city pavement is worn or uneven. Is this a normal thing with a DP? Would one of the steering control systems mentioned here help that?

I haven't driven the unit enough to get accustomed to it, so maybe it's not a problem, but some input would be appreciated.

Tom
When posting, drop your font size and take off the "bold" ... no need to yell.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
When posting, drop your font size and take off the "bold" ... no need to yell.

Kathryn
Don't mean to sound snippy but...could you provide him some information to his question?

Tom,

I have the same question of others. I'm in the process of looking into some kind of steering assist to help with a minor amount of wandering I have.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our rig handles great. When we got it Lazydays installed the Tyron system. Pretty nice setup... Here is a link to their site and right on the homepage there is a video.

http://www.tyron-usa.com/tyronusa-applications.htm
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the Blue Ox TruCenter and it made a world of difference in the way it drives!
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

Lost a tread with SS and the steering wheel just gave a little shake, lots of noise though!!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know I am probably dragging this a bit beyond the OP's original intent but perhaps this is a good thing?

First, I believe that steering assists can be helpful in the blow out scenario regardless of any handling characteristics. Let's go a bit further...

Beyond the steering assists, is there a logical order of progression for handling upgrades? I saw a video recently that explains why gas chassis benefit from front and rear stabilization bars to minimize the tail-wagging-the-dog syndrome. Apparently diesel chassis are not as susceptible because of design differences. Because of these differences, the long overhang of a gas want to sway/yaw side to side more easily and when adding a toad that tendency gets more pronounced. (It is a working theory anyway.) So...

It would seem that the first step in overall handling improvements would be to start at the back and then work forward. It makes sense to me that if we control that sway/yaw in the back end, steering wandering would be more improved. Simply by adding steering stabilizers can not correct back end sway. Of course, if there were no cross winds, passing trucks, or uneven roads then only adding a steering stabilizer for managing a blow out might make sense for that feature.

Any thoughts?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote