Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Question Step Cover Blues

I have a 2004 HR Scepter PDQ. The Step cover is operated by what appears to be a DC motor similar to a Slide motor. There are two activation switches, one on the driver and one on the passenger side. The cover has stopped working. However, when I press on either switch for either direction(in or out) I can still hear the motor momentarily try to engage but the cover doesn't move. I can manually move the cover in or out, so there doesn't appear to be binding.

I have checked the connections at the switches and lubricated both switches but, no improvement. There doesn't seem to be any access to the motor nor can I see how the front end of the motor is attached to the threaded bolt which causes the slide to move in or out covering the stepwell.

The motor is located inside a space of approximately six vertical inches between the floor and a steel panel encasement. Has anyone had any experience with this type of configuration or, does anyone no where I could possibly obtain a copy of a Build Sheet (yeah, right) that would indicate an access point? The only alternative I see would be to cut an access hole in the steel plate from underneath over the generator, which pulls out.
edmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don’t know if yours is like mine. Mine is air powered and I can get to it by opening the door and pulling the cover out and then going up form the bottom step.

I can then remove some bolts that take the front vertical part off giving me access to the piston.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just had to reconnect my cover. Bit of twisting and contorting, but I pulled it all the way out AND up and used the switch to extend the screw all the way out. I crouched down and could see where the arms connected on each side of the slide. I then worked by feel to force the arms back into the obvious holes. Took me about 40 minutes of fumbling. But it worked ... back to a functional cover.
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Mine is DC powered. The access you describe is different from my configuration.

Thanks for the info anyway.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #5

My problem is I can't reach back far enough to get to the motor which seems to be where the problem lies. The arms (guide rods) are installed correctly.

Thanks anyway
Old 03-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandDeb View Post
I just had to reconnect my cover. Bit of twisting and contorting, but I pulled it all the way out AND up and used the switch to extend the screw all the way out. I crouched down and could see where the arms connected on each side of the slide. I then worked by feel to force the arms back into the obvious holes. Took me about 40 minutes of fumbling. But it worked ... back to a functional cover.
I did this. Standing on the bottom step and looking inward, pull the step cover all the way out. Lay down on the steps and look up at the underside of the step cover and its control mechanism. You'll see the jack screw that the motor turns, and the trolley that rides in and out on that jack screw. The trolley has two arms. Those arms engage the step cover, moving it in and out as the jack screw rotates. The arms have likely become disengaged.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmount View Post
My problem is I can't reach back far enough to get to the motor which seems to be where the problem lies. The arms (guide rods) are installed correctly.

Thanks anyway
If the arms are engaged, the step cannot be pulled out. Is that what you have?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
My owners manual had the brand listed, i went to their web site and found the drawings. Mine has a screw in the carpet that releases it for access - slightly visible if you are standing outside looking at the cover.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

The following pictures files and links may help. They most certainly will not fit your setup exactly since these things are "snow flakes".

I fought mine for a long time and only recently found a thread on how to actually take the whole assembly out. Someone will probably come along and attach that thread. The person took the time to make a great video so stay tuned.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ste...elp-58243.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step cover (not necessarily Endeavor.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	278166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step cover repair 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	278167  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Step cover repair 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	278168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step cover repair 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	278169  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf _Stepwell Indiana step cover mechanical drawing.pdf (2.47 MB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Step cover (not necessarily Endeavor).pdf (100.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf Step Cover Schematic.pdf (73.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Step Cover.pdf (265.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf Stepwell trim.pdf (291.5 KB, 17 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #10

Thanks again. I will take another look as soon as we get home from this trip. Seems as though we have the same configuration.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmount View Post
Thanks again. I will take another look as soon as we get home from this trip. Seems as though we have the same configuration.

Did you resolve your issue? I just made a video of mine. They come out rather easily.

It is possible you have two bad switches but the design of mine lets the thing stick closed if not exercised often. When it is retracted it pushes against a rubber grommet and the grommet is not lubed on mine. Thus trying to let the cover out probably puts a strain on the switches and ultimately ruins the contacts.

Hopefully mine will work for a long time now. At least I can get to the wire to the motor and know exactly how mine is wired.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
YC1

https://youtu.be/Fjph5p0Ye5c

Here is the video

Tags
cover