Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Step-ladder attached to rear coach ladder

I've seen motor homes with a step ladder hanging from the rear coach ladder. What kind of a hanger does this take and where would I look for it. I carry a small 6' folding ladder in one of my compartments but it's just not tall enough for my DP. Really would like to carry my 7' fiber glass step ladder but no compartments large enough.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
I have a combination step/extension ladder strapped to my ladder at the back of my Mirada. I use a set of retractable tie downs that bind it to the ladder, and a combination bike lock to stop anyone stealing it. Only problem is I have lost the combination, but it was a really good idea at the time.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Something like this could support the weight, then use straps to hold it in place: Over-the-Ladder Chair and Bike Rack - Camco 51490 - Bike Racks - Camping World

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

I have seen a lot of folding ladders stored in storage bays. Dont know any model numbers though.

I have a 5-footer that serves my purpose.

I would not want one on my roof ladder. Just my preference.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Something like this could support the weight, then use straps to hold it in place: Over-the-Ladder Chair and Bike Rack - Camco 51490 - Bike Racks - Camping World
Ditto: Using a couple of ball bunjies to stop the rattle and a good bicycle lock mine rides nicely. I can even climb right over mine and onto the rest of the ladder. I use a Little Giant painted to match the RV. Looks great and is a fantastic ladder.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rear ladder is part of the emergency escape system. We would pop the rear bedroom window and step through on to the ladder which is less than a foot to the side. I therefore don't want anything obstructing it. I went for one of these:
GPL Folding Ladders SLD-S6 Single-Sided Ladder - Hand and Power Tool Shop
It folds to a 4 inch cube just under 8 feet long which fits in one of my pass through basement compartments.

If I was attaching a step ladder I'd probably use a bike/chair rack like BFlinn181 suggested, and secure the ladder with some strong bungies.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Hello I have a 7 foot folding A frame ladder in my comparment only 4 inch square when folded up. Its a double sided rung ladder get it at camping world. I hate a ladder on the outside on my roof ladder.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Guy View Post
Hello I have a 7 foot folding A frame ladder in my comparment only 4 inch square when folded up. Sorry but I hate a ladder on my roof ladder.
Same here!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

This works for me. Sturdy, easy to fold up and takes up very little storage space.
Amazon.com: 7' Folding Ladder Rv Compact Ladder Storage Ladder (GPL Compact Folding Ladder): Everything Else
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't much care for coach ladders, except they look nice and DW likes it. I have one of these Werner ladders: Shop Werner 16-ft Aluminum Multi-Position Ladder at Lowes.com=

It folds to a 4 ft unit. It hangs nicely on my rear coach ladder, using the same hanger bFlinn suggested and a few bungies. It would fit in the belly, but I prefer the indoor storage for more important things. As an 8ft a-frame, its high enough that I can see the roof. At full extension, 16 ft will get me securely onto the roof.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use the same bracket BFLinn suggested.. Use a couple of bungees to secure ladder to bracket . Never moves , never rattles. A 6ft alum step ladder . But I like the idea of the folding 8 ft ladder that goes into basement better . It's a cost thing .
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #12

I also would like to be able to carry an 8' folding ladder but my compartments wouldn't accommadate this length, which is why I only have a 6 footer. And these folding ladders aren't all that stable when you get up over half way. And the cost factor enters in for me too. Several years ago I purchase a 3' step stool to wash windows with, then realized I needed something higher, thus the 6 footer. I have a 6' aluminum step ladder and a 7' fiberglass one at home so I'm kind of ladder poor. So carrying the 7' fiberglass step ladder will be the cheapest and easiest way out for me.
Don't like one on the back of the coach either but sometimes we don't have that many choices.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #13

I carry a Cosco 13' multi-position ladder in our RV, bought it at WalMart for $39.95. That tells how long ago. It's been in the RV ever since. I never liked climbing that OEM ladder, even when I was young. Now my age makes the OEM ladder off limits. The Cosco ladder is so much easier to use around the RV, and much more stable than an ordinary step-ladder. Seldom do I have to get on the roof, but this ladder is great for all uses. It fits into a storage compartment easily without occupying a lot of space. Check the WM price before paying what Amazon wants.

Oh, did it mention carrying a ladder strapped to the ladder looks cheezy? DW said so, it must be so.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ray In , although I do carry the step ladder on the back of the MH, I agree with your wife , It does look cheesy , Like a Gypsy almost . I have one of the " Little Giant "
knockoffs . Bought it for the fiver we had several years ago. At 40 lbs it is just too heavy for my taste . Still looking for the ideal solution