RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Stepping over the line

Now that we have our toad in hand so to speak (bought our toad last month), we are getting more serious about the MH purchase.

We have been casually looking at 38-40 ft DPs which has been our target length. However, I come across several 42'ers with tag that would be within our budget. So my question is, besides cost to operate, interior room, ride and ability to get into certain campgrounds, what should we expect if we went with a 42' vs 40'. It seems like that is the cut off point between large and extra large.
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
Now that we have our toad in hand so to speak (bought our toad last month), we are getting more serious about the MH purchase.

We have been casually looking at 38-40 ft DPs which has been our target length. However, I come across several 42'ers with tag that would be within our budget. So my question is, besides cost to operate, interior room, ride and ability to get into certain campgrounds, what should we expect if we went with a 42' vs 40'. It seems like that is the cut off point between large and extra large.
Don't sweat the campgrounds..Yes there are a few that you would have a time getting into BUT...
There are always others that you will fit into..(and use the toad to go see the sights)
The longer the wheelbase normally better the ride (tag axle even more so)
The extra 2 ft of length means more storage,and a little more spread out of the interior.
Driving/handling maintenance is same same..Don't sweat it.. 25 miles later you will be mellow..
What ever You end up with.. BE SURE to have an independent inspection done BEFORE you lay down any money..(Ugly surprises are no kind of fun)
Buy the QUALITY & DESIGN...NOT the BLING distractions..
Just somewhere to peruse....

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
all about you and comfort.
I have close friends, stated with a 38 ft. went 2.5 years, felt they liked it very much.
Went to a 07 Monaco, 45 footer.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I moved from a 40' to a 42' (nearly 43') tag last year in June. Went from Ontario/Quebec/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia/Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/New York/Ontario and it drove much better than my 40' when I did the same trip.

I never had a problem with a site and stayed at both public (state/provincial parks) and private campgrounds. I just checked to make sure they were big rig friendly on good sam or other sites. You can put your length in when booking state parks (I use Reserve America), though you may only get 30 amp which is really minor.

We now have four slides and are not close to being fully loaded with all our stuff though DW keeps trying!

The only con is that I have two vice three storage bays but still have plenty of room. The PO pretty well had the MH optioned out and we are very happy with it, planning our first snowbird season.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I started at 36 feet because of posts on forums that was Max for public campgrounds. Did not take long to learn that is BS so traded for a 40 foot single slide DP. Once we started snow birding went to a 42’ tag with 4 slides and 14 years later upgraded to a 45’. During the summer we use mainly public CGs...USFS that do not take reservations our favorite.

Once you drive a tag axle coach you will not go back to it now tag coach.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=saddlesore;4388745]Don't sweat the campgrounds..Yes there are a few that you would have a time getting into BUT...
There are always others that you will fit into..(and use the toad to go see the sights)
The longer the wheelbase normally better the ride (tag axle even more so)
The extra 2 ft of length means more storage,and a little more spread out of the interior.
Driving/handling maintenance is same same..Don't sweat it.. 25 miles later you will be mellow..
What ever You end up with.. BE SURE to have an independent inspection done BEFORE you lay down any money..(Ugly surprises are no kind of fun)
Buy the QUALITY & DESIGN...NOT the BLING distractions..
Just somewhere to peruse....

Yes, I am reading through other posts like the buy one 1,000 miles away. I certainly do intend to have a professional inspection and fluid analysis. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Depending on the state in which you reside, you may need an endorsement on your driver's license for a motor home over 40'.
parks0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

Check out RV.org. They rate RV and have information to help with the selection and making a deal process. Good RV hunting.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks0412 View Post
Depending on the state in which you reside, you may need an endorsement on your driver's license for a motor home over 40'.

Good to know!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:

Dot laws I have seen are over 26,000 lbs gvw, or air brakes, or 10,000 trailer

Only in SOME states require non commercial cdl cdl medical card not required Out of state what ever your state and lic plates on riq require.'

I have had cdl for 40 years and it might be a good idea for any thing over 30' or air to have the training
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
DW has question

Thank you all for your input!

My DW is asking if it harder to drive/maneuver a 42' vs 40' or 38'.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Even tho I would have no problems passing a test for a "RV" enhanced drivers license or having the coach pass an safety/enviro inspection, (have held a CDL for over 50 years) We are still planning to call SD as our residence state..

The less gov interference/taxes and regulations the better...
It seems that there is always "too much month at the end of the money"..
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:

Not much, just takes a few miles/days of driving to adjust...don't sweat it.
Once "on the road" the ease and comfort factors will "over rule" any anxieties..
Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
NO, NO, NO a 42’ will have a tag axle which gives a tighter (better) turning radius because of the shorter wheel base to the drive axle. On the highway it eliminates any porpoising and being pushed around by trucks or a strong crosswind. NO WAY would I go back to a non-tag axle rig even in a shorter length. Monical did make a bishop floor plan in 38’with a tag axle which would decrease some of your storage area in that short a length.

Pretty sure Colorado does not require a special license to drive a large motorhome… Look on the back of your license and it should tell you. If you are not familiar with airbrakes it would be worth the five minutes to have someone explain their operation and how the dual air system works. Also, that you have to manually set the parking brake every time you you get out of the drivers seat.