Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have to turn my key on to the accessory position and sit and wait for about 10-15 seconds before turning it further to the start position, otherwise the motor will not even attempt to start.

I think it is part of the self check cycle for the brakes (I hear them running and a small beep) OR the passive security system...it has a key tag like thing that has to be in the vicinity of the alarm before it allows the coach to be started.....I think.....or maybe all of them are like that....?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
This happens to me on occasion.

Getting ready to leave park, Close door, Start engine,, Turning key directly from OFF to Start,, Steps START to come in but when voltage goes down (Due to starter engagement) current increases (normal in an inductive motor type circuit) and the controller says to itself "End of travel" and shuts down, steps still out.

Open & close door they come in

Turn off Step Switch, open and close, they come in (Since the controller THINKS they are in turning off the step switch is not enough)

Solution:

Turn off step switch BEFORE starting or open door after starting.

Added assessory: A Door switch (mine is a JEEP model) mounted on an L shaped bracket (Lowes/Home Depot) on the fixed housing, switch is placed so when the steps are FULLY RETRACTED the top step presses on the plunger,, Swiched lead is connected to a large LED on dash, other side of LED connected to accessory or ingnition circuit, Steps in LIGHT OFF.
You have a problem key on.....steps in ...........period
Old 11-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, If I turn the key to ON, pause, then START, the steps retract

But if I turn it from OFF to Start, the controller things they have retracted.

I do agree this is a serious design flaw on the part of the steps.

My jeep door switch at least indicates the steps out for me.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Yes, If I turn the key to ON, pause, then START, the steps retract

But if I turn it from OFF to Start, the controller things they have retracted.

I do agree this is a serious design flaw on the part of the steps.

My jeep door switch at least indicates the steps out for me.
If the steps don't come in while you are holding to start position that is understandable, as soon as you release the steps should come in. Wired correctly with the key on a wire from a "hot when key on " location will close the steps. Every MH builder could get that circuit anywhere it is handy. Many circuits are by-passed when the key is held to "'start" on any brand vehicle. Your #2 example above is going thru the hot on circuit so fast it cannot react.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My steps did not retract once when we first had the motorhome. I am not sure what happened. It had the old battery in it at the time. Now that I have a new battery it has not happened since.

I now check it every time from my passenger mirror.

When it stuck out I was driving through a construction zone and rubbed the curb and bent it slightly. Had to put the bend treatment on it to straighten it out so it would retract again.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Agreed.

That feature quit working on mine, and I haven't been able to solve it.

So, I relied on the 'Step Out' light in the dash, until it quit working. I haven't been able to solve that either.

So, now I close the door and turn the 'Step' switch off so the step cannot extend. I just have to remember to do it.

So, I could adjust the mirror so that I can see the step. Problem with that is, on my coach, when I do that I can't see the traffic behind the coach.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #21

Saving chins

On my Itasca, the batteries r under the inside steps, hard on the back, when servicing them. By accident I put a magnet against the screen door magnet and the steps retract. Out of the way of the chins.
rfonte649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is helpful Diagnostic Videos - Power Gear you can do without the $18 pigtail just pay attention to the colors.

WATCH YOUR FINGERS and anything else you wish to keep attached to your body.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Kwikee says to lube the steps monthly for proper operation.
Depending on the weather and the salt spray you may need to lube them even more frequently. Last year we stayed at a campground in Florida right on the coast. We were there only 3 weeks, but the salt spray made the steps inoperative when we were leaving. Luckily some other campers noticed it. It took almost 15 minutes under the coach and 1/2 a can of WD-40 to get them working properly.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If I leave the door open, the steps will not retract while the engine is started/running...I shut the switch off while set up because I put little fence like things around and behind them to keep the pups from running under the coach and have had to adjust the levelers on occasion, I leave the door open, start it and adjust then shut it off and the steps stay out.....but if the door is closed, they always retract if out or stay put if in.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #25

It was my understanding that switch for cutting the power so the steps stay put had gone away after about 2008 models because of people falling out, not realising the steps weren't extended. I though they're only tied into whether the engine ignition is on. When you shut it off, the steps extend - no option.

There have been instances on ferries, where vehicles are very close together, that steps have dinged the car alongside when they extended.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
If I leave the door open, the steps will not retract while the engine is started/running...I shut the switch off while set up because I put little fence like things around and behind them to keep the pups from running under the coach and have had to adjust the levelers on occasion, I leave the door open, start it and adjust then shut it off and the steps stay out.....but if the door is closed, they always retract if out or stay put if in.
You are correct the door will ultimately control step movement. Engine or key on, door closed steps closed. Lot of logic going on down there. First MH trip we took DW was last in, motor was running steps came in, she had of course forgot something, opened door stepped out onto the moving steps (opening). Broke the crush gear slugs in the motor, fell on her butt. Tied the steps up, stopped at Wal-Mart bought a stool and finished our week long outing.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You are correct the door will ultimately control step movement. Engine or key on, door closed steps closed. Lot of logic going on down there. First MH trip we took DW was last in, motor was running steps came in, she had of course forgot something, opened door stepped out onto the moving steps (opening). Broke the crush gear slugs in the motor, fell on her butt. Tied the steps up, stopped at Wal-Mart bought a stool and finished our week long outing.
Glad your DW didn't get hurt!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Right

Quote:
You are correct the door will ultimately control step movement. door closed steps closed.
That is true of my steps, depending on the position of the "2 position" step switch.
In one position... "door closed steps closed, door open strep extended".
In the other position.... the door has NO affect on the step operation.

BTW, on my coach there are 2 fuses for the steps.
One in the chassis battery "hot with ignition" fuse panel...for the "retract step when key is ON ....(15 AMP)
Another in the house battery "always hot" fuse panel.... for the "operation of the step with the door"... (30 AMP)

Mel
'96 Safari, 2 step Kwikee
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps, travel