Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

Steps not working

Steps will not go out or go in.

Background: We drove from Spokane Washington to Melbourne Beach Florida with no problems with the steps. But now we have been parked since October 31.

There was one instance where I needed to start the engine to level the coach and by design the steps came in, but when I went to put them back out, after I was done leveling the coach and the engine was off, they wouldnt go back out.

I fiddled with the salesmanship switch where you turn off the chassis power and the coach power, I fiddled with turning the power off and at the 30 amp circuit panel as well as starting the rig and they wouldnt work, and then just as I was putting some wood out in order to step up, I open the door and all of a sudden they went in and out, in and out, in and out and finally stuck out.

So I thought I would eventually get to troubleshooting it but tonight we had a bit of an emergency and I had to start the engine and lower the front jacks, the steps went in and now I cant get them back out.

Ideas?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If you have Kwikee steps, likely you have corrosion in the connector under the stairs. Remove power to the stairs first, then crawl underneath and disconnect the connectors going to the step controller, clean out as best as you can, then try again. The controller, and the motor both can go out on the steps. I have provided the troubleshooting guide for the steps, if in fact, they are Kwikee.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001628.pdf
Old 12-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Steps will not go out or go in.

Background: We drove from Spokane Washington to Melbourne Beach Florida with no problems with the steps. But now we have been parked since October 31.

There was one instance where I needed to start the engine to level the coach and by design the steps came in, but when I went to put them back out, after I was done leveling the coach and the engine was off, they wouldnt go back out.

I fiddled with the salesmanship switch where you turn off the chassis power and the coach power, I fiddled with turning the power off and at the 30 amp circuit panel as well as starting the rig and they wouldnt work, and then just as I was putting some wood out in order to step up, I open the door and all of a sudden they went in and out, in and out, in and out and finally stuck out.

So I thought I would eventually get to troubleshooting it but tonight we had a bit of an emergency and I had to start the engine and lower the front jacks, the steps went in and now I cant get them back out.

Ideas?
Well Sir,
First off, just for your info, it's *Salesman* switch, not "Salesmanship". Not that, that is that important. Second, that salesman switch, also known as the House battery switch, unless it's been modified, controls the power from THE HOUSE batteries only, not the chassis batteries. Maybe you have TWO battery control switches on your coach? Anyway, as far as your steps working, then not working, then working, as has been suggested, surely sounds like a potential bad connection or corrosion somewhere, and especially a ground.

And also, as has been suggested, do be ultra careful working on those steps and laying around them or anywhere near them with power hooked to them. Human fingers and hands don't pose even a minor threat to them as they extend and retract. Be careful!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #4

Steps issue

Ive had the same issue.

I used a magnet to test whether it is the sensor and issue is intermittent, so probably not the sensor.

Therefore it is likely the motor or connection. I unplugged and replugged the connection. No change.

I cut power to the steps with the switch. Then tapped lightly on the motor and steps now work for a few iterations. It likely is a motor issue with a bad spot. I tap whenever there is an issue.

Your issue is likely a sensor, connection or a bad motor.
donasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donasher View Post
Ive had the same issue.

I used a magnet to test whether it is the sensor and issue is intermittent, so probably not the sensor.

Therefore it is likely the motor or connection. I unplugged and replugged the connection. No change.

I cut power to the steps with the switch. Then tapped lightly on the motor and steps now work for a few iterations. It likely is a motor issue with a bad spot. I tap whenever there is an issue.

Your issue is likely a sensor, connection or a bad motor.

The Kwikee service training manual covers all models.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
First off, just for your info, it's *Salesman* switch, not "Salesmanship". Not that, that is that important. Second, that salesman switch, also known as the House battery switch, unless it's been modified, controls the power from THE HOUSE batteries only, not the chassis batteries. Maybe you have TWO battery control switches on your coach? Anyway, as far as your steps working, then not working, then working, as has been suggested, surely sounds like a potential bad connection or corrosion somewhere, and especially a ground.

And also, as has been suggested, do be ultra careful working on those steps and laying around them or anywhere near them with power hooked to them. Human fingers and hands don't pose even a minor threat to them as they extend and retract. Be careful!
Scott
HA! Got it, Salesman switch. Sometimes I don't even listen to what comes out of my mouth....even on paper, so to speak.

Yes, two switches, one for the coach one for the chassis.

So I finally got around to removing the tin covering from the motor/gear area so I could tap on the motor and inspect the wiring. So far tapping hasn't produced any improvement and just eyeballing the wiring hasn't shown me anything.

I plan on getting into it more today, first thing I'll do is remove the two grounds and clean them, although visually they look fine. Then after that...not sure what to do.

Logically, the motor and gear box must be find as it retracts when I start the engine, just not going out....Hmm, I see where someone said to use a magnet to test the switch, not sure how that works, but I put a magnet on the frame side of the switch, nada.

Guess I just need to start checking on the connections. Oh, I did remove the cotter pin and pulled the pin holding the stairs up so I could use them. Looks a little funny with a step ladder by the door, only way we could get in and out.

One thing I did notice is my ATS switch doesn't appear to be working. Related? Not sure. And what I mean is, I normally hear a 'clunk' when I turn off the salesman switch (at least I 'think' I do) and I'm not hearing that now. So I went over to the front of the rig where the box with all the connectors, fuses and relays are and there's a test button that you can push to actuates the ATS switch manually, and it didn't work. I've done this before and it produces that 'clunk' sound, but this is the 1st time it hasn't done that. Related? Not sure, but sort of makes sense that it might be....BUT..simple things 1st!

I'll keep looking and report back.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2020, 07:17 AM   #7
YC1

A voltmeter should tell the story in seconds. Or better yet, a cheap 12 volt test light.

Clean a good shiny ground place for the alligator clip and stick the sharp probe into the plug that feeds the motor. Activate it and see if the light comes on. Check both wires that go into the motor. If the light comes on brightly you likely have a bad motor and they are easy enough to replace. I highly recommend taking the whole step assembly down. A simply jack beneath while you remove the four bolts or so and let it down gently. Inspect all the bolts. May are shoulder bolts and I have had several fail over time. With the assembly down you can get to the motor without straining and a set of jumper cables will let you test things.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:20 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That manual is an excellent resource for troubleshooting.

Look at page 36 for a thorough, logical process to identify the problem.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
A voltmeter should tell the story in seconds. Or better yet, a cheap 12 volt test light.

Clean a good shiny ground place for the alligator clip and stick the sharp probe into the plug that feeds the motor. Activate it and see if the light comes on. Check both wires that go into the motor. If the light comes on brightly you likely have a bad motor and they are easy enough to replace. I highly recommend taking the whole step assembly down. A simply jack beneath while you remove the four bolts or so and let it down gently. Inspect all the bolts. May are shoulder bolts and I have had several fail over time. With the assembly down you can get to the motor without straining and a set of jumper cables will let you test things.
But the stairs retract when I turn on the engine, so I think the motor and gears and fine. Maybe I'll ohm out the door switch to make sure that's working.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
US1

Not following this part, how are the stairs retracting when starting the motor? I understand the initial retraction, but for them to retract a 2nd time, they'd had to been extended, which as I understand they wont.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
Not following this part, how are the stairs retracting when starting the motor? I understand the initial retraction, but for them to retract a 2nd time, they'd had to been extended, which as I understand they wont.

Right, when I say they retracted it was two days ago. But this scenario happened a month ago as well, which tells me the motor and gears might be okay....?
Old 12-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
But it doesn’t do anything now, right? Follow the troubleshooting step outlined. You either have a bad controller, or a bad connection.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #13

Trimoot,
If I'm not mistaken, those step motors, just like our awning motor, and our step cover motor, DO NOT have a dedicated ground. Those motors use/have two wires. On my step cover motor, one wire is red, and one is yellow. But, those are what I'd call *reversing ground* motors. That is, and I'm purely guessing here. When asked to EXTEND the steps, one wire is the ground, and one is the positive. But, when asked to RETRACT, those two wires reverse their roles.

So, when you say your steps EXTEND fine, BUT, don't RETRACT, well, without being any form of an expert here, I'm guessing that, a controller sends the signals to that motor to command it to turn in one direction for extend, and the other direction to retract. If you're only getting a signal to EXTEND, then maybe the controller is not sending the signal to turn the the motor in the other direction.

A simple, BUT DANGEROUS experiment/test for this would be to:

1. Maybe disconnect the plug for the two wires to the motor.
2. Rig up two wires from your battery to the area of the plug for that motor.
3. BE VERY CAREFUL in these next parts.

4. Connect the negative from your battery, to one of the pins in the motor plug.
5. Now, just touch the positive wire to the other pin and, observe the motor's reaction. If your steps are already out, you maybe sending power in the manor that want's to keep extending.
6. Or, those steps may begin to retract.

7. A safer way of testing would be to completely disconnect the motor-to-step arm. That way, there's no real danger of the steps moving during these tests.

But, if you get good motor movement in both directions, then you've proved the motor is good and will extend and retract those steps. From this point on, it's about controlling that motor. And that is the controllers duty. How to test that, not a clue.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Trimoot,
If I'm not mistaken, those step motors, just like our awning motor, and our step cover motor, DO NOT have a dedicated ground. Those motors use/have two wires. On my step cover motor, one wire is red, and one is yellow. But, those are what I'd call *reversing ground* motors. That is, and I'm purely guessing here. When asked to EXTEND the steps, one wire is the ground, and one is the positive. But, when asked to RETRACT, those two wires reverse their roles.

So, when you say your steps EXTEND fine, BUT, don't RETRACT, well, without being any form of an expert here, I'm guessing that, a controller sends the signals to that motor to command it to turn in one direction for extend, and the other direction to retract. If you're only getting a signal to EXTEND, then maybe the controller is not sending the signal to turn the the motor in the other direction.

A simple, BUT DANGEROUS experiment/test for this would be to:

1. Maybe disconnect the plug for the two wires to the motor.
2. Rig up two wires from your battery to the area of the plug for that motor.
3. BE VERY CAREFUL in these next parts.

4. Connect the negative from your battery, to one of the pins in the motor plug.
5. Now, just touch the positive wire to the other pin and, observe the motor's reaction. If your steps are already out, you maybe sending power in the manor that want's to keep extending.
6. Or, those steps may begin to retract.

7. A safer way of testing would be to completely disconnect the motor-to-step arm. That way, there's no real danger of the steps moving during these tests.

But, if you get good motor movement in both directions, then you've proved the motor is good and will extend and retract those steps. From this point on, it's about controlling that motor. And that is the controllers duty. How to test that, not a clue.
Scott
You've pretty much got it. But, instead of thinking ground, think return. Normally in a voltage circuit, ground and return is the same thing, but in a reversing motor, it's not. The controller switches positive and negative(return), and is externally grounded. If the motor goes one way, it's gonna go the other, unless the controller is messed up. No sense messing with the motor that way. Best thing is to follow the Kwikee troubleshooting procedures, it won't lead you wrong.

Tags
steps