Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Steps Stuck Retracted

The steps had been working fine, but it has been parked only a short time and when I wanted to go in the steps would not open. The light comes on. And the coach is plugged in at my home.
I have tried WD40 because I see rust. And that is what the dealer told me I could use. I had tried to find Kwik Lube and had no luck.
Because the light comes on, I don't know if it could be an electrical trouble? of fuse? Does anyone know?
If it were a fuse, any idea where I might find it?
Thanks for the help.
Carol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you hear the motor run for the steps when you open or close the door?
If not then the problem is somewhere 'upstream', possibly the switch on the door.
I'm not sure what kind of switch you have on yours, but look along the door frame to see if it's been bumped out of place or anything like that.

BTW, regular WD40 is not necessarily great for the steps because it attracts dirt. However they do make a dry lubricant that works nicely
https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-300052-...wd+40+dry+lube
Old 01-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

Try tapping lightly on the motor with hammer. Make sure you are clear of moving pats. Sometimes brushess will sit on flat spot. This is temp fix if works
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Do you hear the motor run for the steps when you open or close the door?
If not then the problem is somewhere 'upstream', possibly the switch on the door.
I would disagree. While it is possible that a switch failed it is much more likely the motor died. This can be tested by unplugging the motor and hooking a battery or battery charger to it and see if it moves. Testing this will be much easier then trying to trace switches and wiring.

Additionally you should use a basic gear grease on the drive motor and connecting gears. You can use silicone spray or other lubricant on the step slide areas. You do not want to use grease anywhere you or your clothes might touch during operation. When you replace the motor you will have to grease the new assembly.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

On my Itasca, circuit breakers are behind an outside door under where the driver sets. I try to keep my steps well lubricated because they are exposed and subject to damage from corrosion.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
In fifteen years, I probably worked on 500 steps.
we always started with the simple things first. The system has no stops. The motor stops when the controller senses a rise in amp draw. 80% of the time it was the gears binding. We always started with one person under the motorhome and another opening the door. Make sure there is very little background noise. Open or close the door while listening for a very faint click. If the motor is getting power and the gears are in a bind the controller will shut off power after a couple of seconds. If you hear the click, loosen the three 5/16 screws in the gearbox cover. Remove the cover, clean the gears, lubricate all the gears. clean and lubricate all the hinge points.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #7

What he ^^ said. While you're down there, I would also remove the motor from the step gears, hold it and make sure it operates when you open and close the door.
My steps are enclosed, not open like the majority of coach steps. They were a little painful to work on.
My coach has a couple fuses for the step and one was back in the electrical bay, the other in the dash.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
It hasn't been mentioned here so it's worth saying. Be VERY careful to keep your hands and body clear when working on the steps. They can move suddenly and there are a lot of painful pinch points whether the steps or extending or retracting.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
In fifteen years, I probably worked on 500 steps.
we always started with the simple things first. The system has no stops. The motor stops when the controller senses a rise in amp draw. 80% of the time it was the gears binding. We always started with one person under the motorhome and another opening the door. Make sure there is very little background noise. Open or close the door while listening for a very faint click. If the motor is getting power and the gears are in a bind the controller will shut off power after a couple of seconds. If you hear the click, loosen the three 5/16 screws in the gearbox cover. Remove the cover, clean the gears, lubricate all the gears. clean and lubricate all the hinge points.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only thing to Add is check the GROUND - in my years this was generally the problem.

They are located in a spot that gets lots of road DIRT and Abuse so watch your fingers and clean/lube all the places that might bind, no matter what the issue is.

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
steps stuck retracted

Thanks everyone.....looks like I have my work cut out for me!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kwikee steep problem

There is a you tube video on hoe to repair stuck steps. I had the same problem with mine and this guys fix worked. Two other RV owners I know had the same problem. The guy in the video does an excellent job. I have learned to go to you tube first when I have a problem.

Larry Cordell

Orlando, Florida
lecordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

No cost to fix

I had the same problem on my 2005 Winnebago 32V. There was power to the motor but no movement. I had my wife open the closed door to trigger the steps then I gave a quick kick on the back edge of the lower step with the heal of my shoe from underneath the coach. Bingo! the step extended. I then used some WD40 and exercised the steps four or five times. Then I added white lithium grease to the hinge points as best I could. Not a single problem since then. Give it a try, no cost involved.

Tombones
tombones49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps