Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Question Stereo system amplifier upgrades

I have a 2002 Itasca horizon 39" I need to upgrade my stereo system amplifier.
My current system powers the 7 speakers in the main section of my MH. I takes inputs from both the radio and the TV (I've replaced the old CRT) The new TV is digital, The old one was analog. Seems the amplifier is also Analog. And i cannot get tv output to my speakers, i can get the radio to play fine thru the speakers.
Have any of you upgraded your speaker systems? what did you do? What did you replace the amplifier (brand Model)with so it all stays 12 volts so i can use same speakers for radio while driving down the road.
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

I plugged an optical cable into the amplifier from the TV. My amplifier has the DVD and VHS in it made by Sony. I am going to replace it with a theater system amplifier.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

tried the optical converter, and the analog to digital converter but no JOY
Old 11-09-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

I separated my dash radio & stereo (AV) speakers because my Class A overhead speakers are crappy.

I bought a low-profile AV receiver (similar to a Marantz 1504) that connects to my DISH sat TV receiver, Apple TV, and BluRay player.

Then I bought a 5.1 speaker system that connects to the Marantz AV receiver. You could use a sound bar instead of a multi-speaker 5.1 system.

The end result is great sound with great video.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #5

Yes, have to admit the only bad thing about the optical converter is the TV must be receiving 5.1 or it won't output to the amplifier. I also looked at sound bars but for now am using the built in speaker system. Will follow this thread as I am interested in how you make out.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I replaced my old tube TV with a new LED. Connected the TV to my old analog home theater system with this device:

I set up the TV sound for external speakers (optical) and it didn't work. Checked a bit more and found I had to change the output from 5.1 to PCM. Works well and the sound is so much better than the TV speakers.
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #7

Question

Tried this didn't work, I am using a sound bar Sony TV Sony sound bar. Sound stinks when you are 10-15 feet away great with in 5 feet blows your head off when you walk out or in the door.
I don't want to have to rewire speakers Through walls, slide outs, and i don't want to have 2 sets of speakers one set for Dash radio one set for TV.
I'm looking to replace the old Analog amplifier that is wired in and mounted in the floor behind the brake pedals in my itasca.
I have spent about a hundred dollars on different converters. I want to do right the 1st time and get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
I replaced my old tube TV with a new LED. Connected the TV to my old analog home theater system with this device:

I set up the TV sound for external speakers (optical) and it didn't work. Checked a bit more and found I had to change the output from 5.1 to PCM. Works well and the sound is so much better than the TV speakers.

Tags
upgrade