Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Still Confused About Charging

Still having the issue where the house batteries don't charge from the alternator. I replaced the very first thing that comes after the alternator which is a motorcraft relay with a signal wire on the small post. BTW, everything about power on my coach works (batt shut off switch..etc), except charging house batts from alternator. I am suspicious that it's the Intellitec 01-00055-000 battery disconnect relay solenoid based on what I've read on this forum. However, that seems to me to just be a shut off and nothing else. It appears that I do not have the BIRD on my 2000 Allegro Bay F53 so I'm wondering if there is some kind of isolator or something else to check. I'm still hopeful y'all will tell me it's the relay mentioned above because it's cheap and easy to get to. Should I replace it and see what happens? As always, I'm appreciative of your help. Thanks...Martin <><
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 AM   #2

Here is what i would do: With RV not plugged in to shore power, Turn on your house batteries and then check the voltage of your haouse batteries with a digital meter. Check the voltage of your starting battery. The voltages will be different. On the solenoid check you mentioned, check both big red wires to ground. One side should be the starting battery and the other the house battery. This solenoid only energizes after you start the engine. Start the engine and the read the two side of the solenoid again. It should now read charging voltage on both sides. If you don't the either the solenoid is bad or it is not energized. This can be determined by measuring the little signal wire to ground as it should be 12v with engine running. Hope that helps.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Test Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra1 View Post
Here is what i would do: With RV not plugged in to shore power, Turn on your house batteries and then check the voltage of your haouse batteries with a digital meter. Check the voltage of your starting battery. The voltages will be different. On the solenoid check you mentioned, check both big red wires to ground. One side should be the starting battery and the other the house battery. This solenoid only energizes after you start the engine. Start the engine and the read the two side of the solenoid again. It should now read charging voltage on both sides. If you don't the either the solenoid is bad or it is not energized. This can be determined by measuring the little signal wire to ground as it should be 12v with engine running. Hope that helps.
I assume you are talking about the relay that I replaced just downstream from the alternator, not the Intellitec one that I referred to. Thanks.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #4

Correct. Mine is mounted to the right of the radiator when looking under the little hood on the front of my RV. Hope yours is the same.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You might also want to consider posting your question in the Tiffin Owner's Forum:

Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum - iRV2 Forums

Since every manufacturer seems to have their own take on how they wire up these kinds of systems, someone there with your exact setup may be better able to figure out if things are working as intended or not.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
The intellitec relay is the latching relay that kills the 12V to the coach. If it fails, the lights in the coach go out when you unplug the coach. You have a second relay or else you have a isolator that separates the batteries when you turn of the engine to keep from depleting the engine battery while parked.

Tags
fuse, charging