Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #29
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dickfrompasadena:
I have DishNetwork and just take one of my receivers, I have 3 with DVR, and put it in the motorhome. There is no extra charge for this. I have had to call them to help me with a setup while I was on the road and they were very responsive. My problem was caused by not using the receiver for a period of time. They disabled it and had to reload/reactivate it for me. They told me to hook it up in the house when the motorhome sits for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've been through that a bunch of times. Just call Dish Network and insist that all you need is for them to re-activate your receiver(s) on their end. You don't need them to go through their standard try this or that and you don't need to hear that it's your switch. Once it's done it will take a few minutes and you'll once again see that you'll have all your channels back to normal. No need to take it back to the house.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
ET is right. I call at the beginning of the camping season and when the tech gets on line, I simply state that my receiver had been powered off all winter and I need it reset. They are very accomodating.

Not only would the receiver need to be powered up all winter, but also connected to the dish. I never had wanted to invest in the extra stuff to run a 3rd line and have the 3rd receiver connected year round.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
John, my dish net reciever seems to need rebooting even after a few weeks of non use. I have to call up and ask for just a reboot.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #32

SteveG, I entered my zip to find green dot locations near my home and it said none available. That's enough for me to veto the idea.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #33

Rvers with Dish Network can now receive the east and/or west coast major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) when on travel outside your local area. It's through a separate company - All American Direct - but you receive the networks through your Dish control box and antenna. You have to fill out a RV Waiver and fax it to All American with a credit card number. Once activated you'll receive the Atlanta and/or San Francisco major networks on Dish channels 241-248. All 8 channels cost $79 for 6 months and supposedly Dish will reduce their monthly bill by the same amount that you are paying All American.

Dish subscribers can go to channel 240 for information and a website address for All American Direct.

You only receive on one control box--the one you tell them you use in your RV.

I just subscribed to both sets for a 2 month motorhome trip we're taking this fall.

Larry
lcsmith6922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #34
ET

Since I have dish at my home I receive local channels for around $5 extra a month under my plan. There is no need to use anything else. The local channels are from my home city of Wellington so no matter where we travel we still see our local home stations without extra boxes and with all 4 of our TV's.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so no matter where we travel we still see our local home stations without extra boxes and with all 4 of our TV's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It sounds like you don't travel very far from home. The local networks are spot beamed so they will work close to home but no all over the US. How far away from Wellington have you traveled and still received your home networks?
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #36
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It sounds like you don't travel very far from home. The local networks are spot beamed so they will work close to home but no all over the US. How far away from Wellington have you traveled and still received your home networks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you get an opportunity you might want to give Dish Network a call to verify this and ask about requesting an RV Declaration to receive your LOCAL channels wherever you travel, (mostly for no permanent home address.) Or you can select Local's from the East Coast based in Atlanta or the West Coast based in San Francisco. Whatever the case my basic point is that anyone can get NBC, CBS, ABC & Fox for $5 a month with Dish. I guess Dish figured out a way to bypass those spot beams.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you get an opportunity you might want to give Dish Network a call to verify this and ask about requesting an RV Declaration to receive your LOCAL channels wherever you travel, (mostly for no permanent home address.) Or you can select Local's from the East Coast based in Atlanta or the West Coast based in San Francisco. Whatever the case my basic point is that anyone can get NBC, CBS, ABC & Fox for $5 a month with Dish. I guess Dish figured out a way to bypass those spot beams. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
By law, Dish cannot by-pass anything. There are still a very few markets which have not yet been converted to spot-beam, but really, very few. You cannot get a waiver to get your locals anywhere, it's the law.
If you are interested, the reason that Dish subscribers must use All American for there DNS networks is because Dish thumbed their noses at the law and said they would provide whatever they wanted to whomever they wanted. The Government stepped in and made them shut down ALL of the DNS services to ALL of their subscribers. Yes, one day, everyone with Dish Network lost their DNS. It took a month or so but All American stepped in to fill the gap and now things are good again for all Dish Network subscribers. Because of this Dish Network loses ALL of their DNS income! The next time you are thinking of fighting one of the laws firmly set on the books you might want to consider the ultimate consequence.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #38

Texas Boomers Club
I was in Montana last summer watching ABC/CBS/NBC and FOX from New York City. My billing and service address is in NJ.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was in Montana last summer watching ABC/CBS/NBC and FOX from New York City. My billing and service address is in NJ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course you were when you are a DNS subscriber with DirecTV. The issue would being able to receive your home Network programming outside your home area. If by chance your account (with DTV) is registered in NY or LA you will get the major networks anywhere you travel. Dish Network subscribers would see the same thing if there account is registered in San Fran or Atlanta.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For anyone else that would like to know for sure...

Call Dish Network at 1-888-825-2557 and ask them this: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is so much bad information available for DTV and Dish you may or may not get an accurate answer. What I can tell you is that you are not "allowed" to receive this programming and if it is spot-beamed, you cannot receive this programming no matter what you are told. To understand a spot-beam, imagine a flashlight shining on a globe. If you are inside that beam (usually 200-400 miles in diameter) you will get a signal. If you are outside that beam you "cannot" receive that signal.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #41
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I setup an account with Dish and have a permanent address such as 1234 Big Lane, West Palm Beach, Florida 33403 and I include local channels in my programming and if there are local channels available in my billing zip code, will my local channels follow me where ever I go if I take one of my receivers in the coach? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine don't due to the spot beaming.

I took receivers to Florida this past winter and everything worked except the locals. Same thing happened when I went to Missouri last summer too.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
I don't know what to say. Last year I was not fulltime yet so I had not yet contacted DishNetwork and completed the waiver. I setup my dish in Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower and Montana. At all locations I received my normal NYC local programming on 2 (CBS), 4 (NBC), 5 (FOX) and 7 (ABC) as I do at home.

Maybe their NYC spot beam is more like a giant flood light.