Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #57

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After following this thread from the beginning, all I can say is I sure am glad I subscribe to Directv. $4.99 a month for extra receiver, and $ll.99 for DNS. I live in rural area, and have no channels I consider to be local. Guess I could move to either New York or Los Angeles, then DNS and local coverage would be the same.

Dieselclacker
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #58

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After following this thread from the beginning, all I can say is I sure am glad I subscribe to Directv </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's really just as easy with Dish Network assuming that you want to use the DNS service. There is a lot of confusing information posted here, but if you are using DNS you either get it directly from DTV or through All American with Dish Network. You still get E and W networks with both services NY and LA for DirecTV and Atlanta and San Fran for Dish.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #59
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
After following this thread from the beginning, all I can say is I sure am glad I subscribe to Directv. $4.99 a month for extra receiver, and $ll.99 for DNS. I live in rural area, and have no channels I consider to be local. Guess I could move to either New York or Los Angeles, then DNS and local coverage would be the same.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm dropping Dish Network and just going with available cable or using my Batwing for any available HDTV signals. For internet I've been using Verizon broadband with a USB727 and getting 1200-1400 kbps down and 600-800 kbps up for $60 a month with allowed 5GB.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #60

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have had Dish network for over two years and I got a extra receiver from my daughter. I got the numbers off the receiver and the smart card and called dishnetwork to make active. When I got the bill the charge was not $4.99 but $19.99 extra over my regular monthly bill. It took several calls to find out why. It seems the receivers have to be hooked up to a phone line. I was cutting the power off on the receiver at home and no was to get phone service at a campground. This was the $15 a month extra charge. One guy with Dish network told me I could not get out of my contract I had for over two years. I called the attorney general office and got a form to fill out. I called Dish network one last time and found out I can get off Dish network. I am still holding the form from the NC AG office , but I am suppose to off Dishnetwork August 1 and on Direct TV the same day. Direct TV does not have to have phone hookup.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
diandtom, you are correct on no phone line requirement for Directv. Telephone line is only necessary if you want to purchase special pay per view events or movies. I have subscribed to Direct for over 12 years, been using it in the motorhome for over 5 years. Service is good, but like everything else, is getting expensive.

Dieselclacker

Dieselclacker
Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Service is good, but like everything else, is getting expensive </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is for sure true. However, since it is the major expenditure for our "entertainment" dollars, we feel it is worth the $3.50 a day it is costing. We just cut out HBO and some other mostly unwatched channels to reduce the cost. But, for our convenience, we also maintain 3 receivers in the stick and one in the coach.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #63

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm dropping Dish Network and just going with available cable or using my Batwing for any available HDTV signals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wow, no satellite TV! No thanks! Maybe if you only over-night in high-end parks for you only travel now and then you could get away with cable and over the air, but not me, no sir!
I've seen campground cable and their is so rarely anything good on the Networks that I need ALL of my channels. No Discovery channel, History, Food Network (got to keep the wife happy, too!), Fox News (not really, just making a point), The Weather Channel, Military, etc. Where to stop?
I understand that there a lot of folks who watch a lot less TV than I do but I really like my TV and I want the ability to find something somewhere whenever I choose. If all else fails I can watch what I have recorded on my DVR!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Just wanted to ask if anyone has a comment/s on a top of RV coach mount style Winegard® Crank-up Satellite Dish priced around $200.00 from camping world. Just wondering if it was worth putting the dish on top of my coach, or just get the bubble mount and forget it. Which is best for digital? I just have directTV/looking to upgrade if possible.
http://www.campingworld.com

DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #65
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had the crank up on the prior coach and have KingDome on this one. I could find a satellite almost as fast with the crank up as the KingDome does "automatically".
Both are a pain in trees and we always carry a dish with us if we are going to be gone for a few weeks.
State parks here in Georgia have a lot of trees and we will invariably have on on the south side of the site. With the movable dish, I can usually find a hole in the foliage and hit the satellite.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #66
ET

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:

Wow, no satellite TV! No thanks! Maybe if you only over-night in high-end parks for you only travel now and then you could get away with cable and over the air, but not me, no sir!
I've seen campground cable and their is so rarely anything good on the Networks that I need ALL of my channels. No Discovery channel, History, Food Network (got to keep the wife happy, too!), Fox News (not really, just making a point), The Weather Channel, Military, etc. Where to stop?
I understand that there a lot of folks who watch a lot less TV than I do but I really like my TV and I want the ability to find something somewhere whenever I choose. If all else fails I can watch what I have recorded on my DVR! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow... You must watch a lot of TV then! No thanks! We're only in our coach about 60 days a year on average and when we're at one of our homes the only time we really watch TV is if there's a special program on that my wife likes such as American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, So you think you can dance, etc., which we record on the Tivo at house 2 which has cable included. For HDTV I did have to put a 4 bow-tie UHF antenna in the attic. Also when we travel we take along the newest DVD's that we can get from Blockbuster just incase the weather turns bad. So since we don't fulltime we look at staying in the coach the same way we do when we go on our cruises, (we both dive and love the water,) where I'm sure most would agree, why stay in the room when theirs so much more to do. The company of our friends, checking out fun things to do in a new area and meeting new folks is what we concentrate most of our time on. Besides much of our time seems to be centered on our Westie Kids, Nikki & Willie which we rescued 4 years ago. Taking them for a walk or taking them for a walk, and of course taking them for a walk! As far as the news and weather, default page CNN and weather.com.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #67

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We're only in our coach about 60 days a year on average </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Enough said!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #68

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just wondering if it was worth putting the dish on top of my coach, or just get the bubble mount and forget it. Which is best for digital? I just have directTV/looking to upgrade if possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First, none of this has anything to do with digital TV. All satellite broadcasts are digital and always have been. Only the over-the-air TV reception is effected by the upcoming digital change-over.
Second, if you are referring to being able to receive HDTV programming, neither of the systems you mention will be able to receive this programming from DirecTV. If you just want to receive the standard DTV programming plus the East and West Coast Distant Network programming then either antenna will work. The Winegard manual dish does tend to flop around in the wind and can become unusable. The dome has a smaller dish and therefore does not perform as well as an open face dish. Rain fade occurs more often and sooner with a dome than an open dish. The Winegard is by far the least expensive option, followed by the manual King Dome and then followed by all of the automatic domes. The MotoSAT open face dish is priced a bit above the automatic domes (no wind problems) and then a dome that will allow you to watch TV while in-motion is the most expensive.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
diandtom, you are correct on no phone line requirement for Directv. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We've been both Dish Network and DirecTV customers, and have never had ANY of the receivers hooked up to a phone line and never had any problems and were never charged anything extra. Of course, we never had any fancy receivers such as the TIVO-like ones that record programs.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Telephone line is only necessary if you want to purchase special pay per view events or movies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You don't even need a phone line for that, since with both Dish Network and DirecTV, you can order PPV online at their website.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Telephone line is only necessary if you want to purchase special pay per view events or movies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not the way it works with the Dish Network I have through AT&T. No phone line...extra $5.95 per month. As soon as the contract expires.....Adios Dish for me.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote