Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
We had a new W/M open in our city. All new pavement, etc.
A group of Rvers showed up, formed a circle in the parking lot.
Jacks down, slides out, barbecue set up and "happy hour" started.

An employee from the store came out and asked them to put up their
jacks as they were damaging the new pavement.
Needless to say, someone had too much happy hour and the next thing
the police were involved. A major fight ensued, several arrests. vehicles impounded, and the final result......Big signs saying..NO OVERNIGHT PARKING

I have always believed in the rule of treating people the way you want to be treated. Why do we need rules laid out to make this happen.

Most Rvers are very friendly and considerate people.
There are those that feel they do not need to obey the rules.
These are the same people that do not pick up after their dogs, wash their
rigs even though the park rules say "no washing", etc.

If we all pulled together instead of getting on our high horses to defend
this behavior, we will not lose all the good things about belonging to a
great group of people. I have met a lot of great people since I started RVing.
I want to keep believing in the good part of someone.
That story should have made the papers, when was it and what city ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #58

Lets use the common sense etiquette rules as posted.
I rarely stay at Walmats but certainly appreciate the option.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I never realized there were so many that stay or have stayed at a Walmart. I have never stayed at one and always found it easy to find a reasonable campground when I get ready to stop for the night. Might stay one day if it was an emergency but never as just a layover.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I never realized there were so many that stay or have stayed at a Walmart. I have never stayed at one and always found it easy to find a reasonable campground when I get ready to stop for the night. Might stay one day if it was an emergency but never as just a layover.
How late do you drive to? Finding a campground at 9 pm and pulling out at 7 am seems like too much hassle.

If I was stopping earlier then a campground would make sense. But I figure I'm 150 or 200 miles further down the road with a park and sleep.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Well one thing we have found, because we are not retired, is that we can take a trip or leave for a long weekend Friday night. Getting on the road at 7 and put in 3 hours before we stop. Depending on which direction we are going there is not always a campground near by, nor do we want to go through all that hasle at 10pm or so.

I have found that having a motorhome allows you to look at traveling in a different way. You dont have to marathon drive to get from A to B. You can divide up your time and drive segments in different ways then you could or may have thought about in the past. Whether its a truck stop, a CampWally or just stopping at an off ramp... it really does not matter because you are already home and you can think more about what you want to do rather then where you have to get to
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
We had a new W/M open in our city. All new pavement, etc.
A group of Rvers showed up, formed a circle in the parking lot.
Jacks down, slides out, barbecue set up and "happy hour" started.

An employee from the store came out and asked them to put up their
jacks as they were damaging the new pavement.
Needless to say, someone had too much happy hour and the next thing
the police were involved. A major fight ensued, several arrests. vehicles impounded, and the final result......Big signs saying..NO OVERNIGHT PARKING
Walmart in local community turned into a 'stealth campground'.
Same RVs showing up night after night along with other RVrs.
Trash, urine bottles, stains around storm drains, panhandlers etc.
I don't intimidate and I would get the 'creep feeling' if I went there after dark.

Shoot out involving vagabonds and police finally caused City Council to act....'NO Overnight Parking' ordinance immediately passed without opposition. March 2015

Now if they would do something about the 'overnighting' along Hwy 260----might get resolved spring of 2017 when hwy expansion project begins.
Contractors don't put up with thieves.

YEAH!!!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #63

More to the original question and problem... Running a gen in a boondocking situation like CampWally should not be an issue as long as you use common sense.

As for the fuel... You average Class A gen is only 5-8k. 4 on low side and 9 on the high, but average 5-8. In generator real terms, these are very small compared to commercial and construction class generators. Your fuel consumption gas or diesel will be somewhere around .6 gal per hour again relevant to gen size. So even if you run the gen all night (assuming a 10 hour stop) you are only burning 6 gal of fuel or $12-$14 at current fuel prices.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not sure how chairs, grills and leveling jacks relate to dumping food particles, trash and coke cans in dump stations.

I have never seen an RVer leave anything behind in Wal-Mart.

Plenty of slobs tossing stuff out of the car windows in Wal-Mart though.
Twinboat: Are you just trying to argue? The post is about people abusing their host generosity. When they do this, the host takes away their offer of help. Wal Mart does not pretend to be a campground. They are offering you a place to spend the night, not a place to camp. Grills, chairs, etc are a sign of camping not stopping for the night. Go ahead and make fun of people that are trying to warn others. Just don't complain when Wal Mart stops campers from overnighting.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
When the state of Maine took W/M to court to stop the overnighting, they lost.
The reason they lost was due to the word "PARKING'.
W/M says they allow overnight parking and refused to discuss the word "camping".

That being said.....many local towns and cities are passing "no overnight parking"
laws, NOT the store.

This is a good reason to call and ask first. When you arrive ask to see the manager on duty and find out where to park, expectations, etc.
Common courtesy for everyone.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, generator