Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #15

Xantrex Technology Inc. - Recreational Vehicles

This site has a good deal of information about Inverter set-up etc.

We have the RS3000 Inverter with auto generator start to recharge the batteries and control panel. It monitors battey temps, 3 different charging rates based on the discharge of the batteries and monitors the electrical system of the coach. We had a warning code of Low AC Input Line 1 and found the neutral had started to fry the terminal on the coach cord where it was tied into the motorhome. This terminal was never 100% tight from the factory and could have result in a major disaster had the Control Panel not shown the problem. We had a couple issues at first but that was from the installation not the product but the issues were addressed and everything has functioned fine since. I only wish I had purchased 6V batteries but since I already had 2 - 12V batteries I just bought 2 more.
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #16

Okay...I made a deal. 3600w (9000w surge) pure sine. No switch. No charger. I'm planning on 4 6v batteries and I think I have a good spot for them. I'm okay using the shore power plug, so no switch necessary for right now. But I'm worried about getting a proper charge on the 6v's...I'm planning on 2 in series and 2 in parallel to get the 12v. So, could anyone help with the proper configuration and hardware of the chargers? I plan to put a remote swich on it (them) and only turn it on when I have shore power. But I'm worried that I won't get a good (or full) charge with a float system..or 3 stage... with the four batteries in this set-up. Any help you could give would be wonderful. I'm off to buy batteries tomorrow...so if anyone has suggestions in that regard, I'd appreciate it. I don't even know were to start on that little quest...Fresno, CA is the closest big burg.
magwa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by magwa1 View Post
Okay...I made a deal. 3600w (9000w surge) pure sine. No switch. No charger. I'm planning on 4 6v batteries and I think I have a good spot for them. I'm okay using the shore power plug, so no switch necessary for right now. But I'm worried about getting a proper charge on the 6v's...I'm planning on 2 in series and 2 in parallel to get the 12v. So, could anyone help with the proper configuration and hardware of the chargers? I plan to put a remote swich on it (them) and only turn it on when I have shore power. But I'm worried that I won't get a good (or full) charge with a float system..or 3 stage... with the four batteries in this set-up. Any help you could give would be wonderful. I'm off to buy batteries tomorrow...so if anyone has suggestions in that regard, I'd appreciate it. I don't even know were to start on that little quest...Fresno, CA is the closest big burg.
i am using a schumacher battery charger. ref:
SC-6500A - 65amp 20<>10 amp 2 Amp with Engine Start
check out this website before deciding on which batteries to buy:
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
have fun!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #18

The Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i am using a schumacher battery charger. ref:
SC-6500A - 65amp 20<>10 amp 2 Amp with Engine Start
c!
Thanks, Dan. Do you run the charger for 4 X 6v batteries, 2 in series and 2 in parallel? If you do, where do you connect the charger in the line of battery cables? At the terminals that finally feed the inverter, or some other place in the battery cable connections? The reason I ask is that I don't want a smart, or 3-stage charger to read the closest battery and top it off and then stop delivering anything but float to the other three. That's why I was wondering (and hoping that it's not an issue for $$$ sake) if I have to get four chargers. But that REALLY sounds like overkill.

Thanks also for the battery encyclopedia.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by magwa1 View Post
Thanks, Dan. Do you run the charger for 4 X 6v batteries, 2 in series and 2 in parallel? If you do, where do you connect the charger in the line of battery cables? At the terminals that finally feed the inverter, or some other place in the battery cable connections? The reason I ask is that I don't want a smart, or 3-stage charger to read the closest battery and top it off and then stop delivering anything but float to the other three. That's why I was wondering (and hoping that it's not an issue for $$$ sake) if I have to get four chargers. But that REALLY sounds like overkill.

Thanks also for the battery encyclopedia.
when i was using the schumacher (i got it from schucks) for 2 12v flooded cell deka's in parallel, it charged both of them ok while hooked up in parallel except when i wanted to do a desulfation (or equalization) charge. then i had to separate them. the schumacher desulfation charge brought them back to maybe 60%.

this charger looks at my 2 6v lifeline 300ah agm batteries hooked up in series as a single 12v battery. i charge them negative cable to neg term on one battery and positive cable to pos term on the other battery with a jumper cable from the other positive battery terminal to the other negative battery terminal. just like they are hooked up for use. i do not disconnect them for charging although i do turn off the moho battery switch to keep from back feeding to my converter. clear as mud. look at the pictures.

it is possible that to do an equalization charge with 4ea 6v batteries in series- parallel you would have to charge them in pairs. otherwise, they should charge in series-parallel ok, all 4 at once just as they are hooked up for 12v use.

equalization charges are done infrequently (maybe every 25 cycles) on flooded cell batteries and very infrequently on agm batteries, maybe every 75-100 cycles, if at all.

it is important to use the same battery size, make and model in your whole battery bank. it helps if the batteries are the same age also.
i would not even consider using gell cell batteries in a moho. they are to problematic.

you are welcome for the battery info. i got it myself from this forum a couple of years ago when i was deciding if i needed new batteries and what to buy and am just "paying it forward".

on edit: if you are going to use 4 large batteries instead of 2 like mine, you should probably get a charger with more that 10-20 amp capacity.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my "house" a single pair of U-2200's (220 amp hour six volts) will hold the inverter for overnight running the parasitic stuff, a Motosat DOME and a Dish or DirecTV DVR.

I would suggest 2 pair of six volt batteries or the equivlent in 12 volt deep cycle with a 2,000 watt inverter

To keep it simple, use something with a built in transfer switch such as (But not limited to) the Xanterx Prosine 2.0. and put in a proper sub panel.. Way, Way, Way easier than playing with cords. and not much more expensive

The prosine also charges the batteries if shore/generator power is present.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #21

Follow up and Final Question

I ended up with a 3600w Airpax Dimensions pure (true) sine, a Go Power smart charger, and two 12v 170Ah batteries (made for the telecom industry) I'll wire in parallel. All (except the shore power cord I'll plug in when in use to "hot up" the 110 plugs) are separate from the automotive and house battery electrics in the 26ft Airstream MH.

For you in the know, do you think I *have to*, *should*, or *shouldn't* ground the 12V battery pack to the MH chassis? Airpax info has me grounding the inverter to the MH chassis.

Wiring diagrams for inverter set ups I've read seem to either only address inverters plumbed into set ups that are already on board. In that case the battry packs are obviously grounded to the MH chassis. Where I see the system that's not integrated into the coach (separate from the existing system), there seems to be no indicator that the battery bank should be grounded. In fact, some of...if not all...of the separate solar set-ups using controllers, batteries, inverters, and panels for a charge seem to avoid grounding, making the system a loop.

If you say I *should* ground the batteries, is a #8 gage copper wire (like the one I used with the inverter's chassis ground terminal) big enough. In fact, could the batteries and inverter chassis share the common ground wire going to the MH chassis?

BTW, and on a separate note, the main leads to the inverter from the battery bank are huge...4/0...about 3/3". Fused with a 500A fuse....

Thanks again to all.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #22

Many excellent 12v deep cycle batteries can now be found, like you did. I use 3 Trojan J-185H's at 215 AH each. They are used in floor machines. I have a Xantrex 3000 watt inverter, the Xantrex 80 amp inverter, 400 Amp fuse, a shutoff switch, a transfer switch. They are not grounded separately. Xantrex amp meter.