Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
Thank you! Now this is the chime-in that I was waiting for!

300 rips doesn't sound like much, especially if this is measured at 70-75mph?. But remember these are "very" low RPM engines (as all diesels are, at least compared to Gasser's). So <thinking> 300 RPM's less could actually be a 5-10% reduction in RPM's. Hence maybe why the mileage is a wash between the two, and what I mentioned (guessed) a few posts ago on speculation why the two engines may be close in mileage.

This will weigh heavily (for me) to go with the Cornerstone and the 600. Another efficiency/longevity way of thinking here? 10% less RPM's?, 10% less friction and overall wear on the engine!. And, low RPM's and lubricating fuel is where diesels excel for longevity in the first place!

Cheers and Many thanks!
Actually, it's better than 10%. If you figure max rpm is 2400 the Anthem turning 1800 at a given cruising speed the Cornerstone is turning 1500 which, if my calculations are correct, is about 12.5 to 13% fewer rpm plus keeps the 600 closer to the max torque range.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #58

I get 7.5 mpg. I can move 200 miles for under 70 bucks. Mileage? It's all about adventures in the toad!
Buy what you like.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #59

Based on what my friends say that have Cornerstones they are in the low 5mpg range. My 16 Anthem is always a solid 8mpg no matter how I drive it. I sure would like to have the power of the 600 - just can't justify the price. You can't go wrong with any of the coaches you are considering. My experience with Entegra (2 coaches) makes me not consider anything else. The 2 year bumper to bumper warranty can't be beat.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #60

Same with the Anthem we had, around 8mpg figured with calculator. Cornerstone around 7 figured the same way.
I don't know what's going on with your friends, but I've had a 16&17 Cornerstone and never got below 6.5, even in Mt and Wy.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy10 View Post
Based on what my friends say that have Cornerstones they are in the low 5mpg range. My 16 Anthem is always a solid 8mpg no matter how I drive it. I sure would like to have the power of the 600 - just can't justify the price. You can't go wrong with any of the coaches you are considering. My experience with Entegra (2 coaches) makes me not consider anything else. The 2 year bumper to bumper warranty can't be beat.
Low 5s is lower than I've heard for the Cornerstone. But if so, 8 vs let's say 5.2 is a very considerable difference.
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
I don't doubt there are some folks getting low 5 mpg in a Cornerstone, but the same person getting low 5's in a Cornerstone will get 5.5 in an Anthem.

Driving technique, speed, using cruise control (using cruise lowers mpg), hill climb technique, towing, generator usage, loading, tire pressure, outside air temp, along with several other factors affects mpg.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Unless you need the prestige of a new coach, why not look at a used Newell or Prevost. They are nearly custom made by craftsmen who take pride in their work as opposed to a mass manufactured box on the same chassis as what ever lesser models the mass producers shovel out the door. The other thing is, in many cases the owners of the premium model DPs can afford to spoil their ride and maintain them, they are built on the strongest of chassis, with the best of materials. I think no one comes away from the dealer with a mass produced motorhome that doesn't need several visits back to get every thing sorted.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I don't doubt there are some folks getting low 5 mpg in a Cornerstone, but the same person getting low 5's in a Cornerstone will get 5.5 in an Anthem.

Driving technique, speed, using cruise control (using cruise lowers mpg), hill climb technique, towing, generator usage, loading, tire pressure, outside air temp, along with several other factors affects mpg.
I'm with this, I also think some of the CS owners may also tend to pull the heavier cars etc... cause they can, and without much notice. It also may have been one of the reasons why a Cornerstone w 600hp/1950FtTq was chosen in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Unless you need the prestige of a new coach, why not look at a used Newell or Prevost. They are nearly custom made by craftsmen who take pride in their work as opposed to a mass manufactured box on the same chassis as what ever lesser models the mass producers shovel out the door. The other thing is, in many cases the owners of the premium model DPs can afford to spoil their ride and maintain them, they are built on the strongest of chassis, with the best of materials. I think no one comes away from the dealer with a mass produced motorhome that doesn't need several visits back to get every thing sorted.
The Spartan K3 chassis is in these same high-end shopping brackets, and with a 20K lb front end, I believe it matches the Prevost and Newell. The 600hp on the Cornerstone however is unmatched by the Prevost's.

Okay, here goes a lot of "really's" lol.....
I really do love the Newell and Prevosts. The matching (up-leveling) slide-out floor is really nice, but I don't really have to have it. Cabinetry and finish is supreme, but again, I don't "really" have to have them. The one thing that I really dislike on the Prevosts is that split windshield. I understand why they do it (cost/replacement), but it still looks shoddy IMO.

The prestige thing (for me) would be the 2 Mfgr's you speak here, not that one will be brand new or not. When I think prestigious, I think of Prevost honestly, and not just a brand spanking new one. The Deal maker in the end (so far) is Entegra's 2 year bumper-bumper warranty. I'm sure I'll have tweaks and fixes if I go with an Entegra, but they'll at least be covered... and maybe even at one of their roundup/event-rallies at that!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
That two year warranty sounds good, but if you can't work out the bugs in one year...you have a problem coach. Also, all the big items...engine, transmission, generator, etc have their own warranties.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #66

Received a ton of info on the Anthem (450hp) vs the Cornerstone (600hp).

Consensus is from PM's and other Forums/blogs (past Anthem owners who have naturally migrated up to the Cornerstones)...

If you drive the Anthem at super slab speeds (65mph+) the Cornerstone will be the same if not even better than the Anthem due mainly to the taller rear end gear ratio. Anything under slab speeds however, the Anthem is generally a ~1-mile/pg advantage.

I've had most report on the 600hp CS averaging around 6.5, most towing. A few (now CS owners) say they have seen no difference in fuel mileage vs the past Anthem they've owned.

Most however say they don't keep track, or care to... understandably. Some also have mentioned they just don't know exactly what their generator or aqua hot has consumed in heavy day to day camping.

So maybe we can blah blah wash this concern away.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #67

It's not just HP, and MPG, and ability to have power reserver. The BIGGER BLOCK engine, provides added safety via high BRAKING HP with the Jake Compression Brake. The bigger the displacement, the higher the Braking HP.

If you can afford either, and both meet your needs, I always recommend leaning towards the biggest block engine available.

(Note: You've seen my other advice, about buying a Prevost and making it what you want. Or maybe a Newell and upgrading it as needed to your likes. And if going 'new', Newmar will customize where as most others will not... So this is just between these two Entegra's, a fine coach!)

Ongoing best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #68

Just a quick note we have owned 6 newmars Essex and king air but my dealer of 20 some years sold and my salesman left so I ended up with a 2017 eagle heritage. knowing that every new coach has problems this one takes it to a new level no seal on door side front slide flooded living room over night along with the dash cluster beeping upwards of 15 times a day and to many other things to list left at factory over a month and all is the same,only 5 months old when you call customer service it like talking to robots hope this helps out.
sr3jr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
Had the Anthem...now the Cornerstone (Fire Red BTW). Once you've driven the Cornerstone for an extended distance, you'll know why I upgraded, and I loved my Anthem.

As to American Coach Heritage versus Cornerstone, just ask MHSRV about which coach they recommend (I spoke with Carl). WRT Newmar...London Aire is on a par with Cornerstone (JMHO) and can be had for somewhat less than the Essex (and in better colors, JMHO).

Last, if you want to see a beautiful coach, at MHSRV, take a look at the walnut interior Foretravel Realm. It is beautiful, plus you get the pneumatic slides versus the ugly slide toppers...yes $230k more, but a really nice coach on a K3 chassis with 600Hp.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr3jr8 View Post
Just a quick note we have owned 6 newmars Essex and king air but my dealer of 20 some years sold and my salesman left so I ended up with a 2017 eagle heritage. knowing that every new coach has problems this one takes it to a new level no seal on door side front slide flooded living room over night along with the dash cluster beeping upwards of 15 times a day and to many other things to list left at factory over a month and all is the same,only 5 months old when you call customer service it like talking to robots hope this helps out.
Ron (I believe?), and I responded to your PM's.
I really liked the AC's Eagles Heritage's interior floorplans, slideouts and glossy cabinetry option THE best of any of the '3' I'm considering. But, after hearing not only your dislikes and a couple of others?....

American Coach is now out of my lineup (shopping).

I still loved that dash/cockpit, but if it has issue's with alerts going off all times of the night? and, they're not even addressed or resolved yet? I'm out on the digital dash. :( sad face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Had the Anthem...now the Cornerstone (Fire Red BTW). Once you've driven the Cornerstone for an extended distance, you'll know why I upgraded, and I loved my Anthem.

As to American Coach Heritage versus Cornerstone, just ask MHSRV about which coach they recommend (I spoke with Carl). WRT Newmar...London Aire is on a par with Cornerstone (JMHO) and can be had for somewhat less than the Essex (and in better colors, JMHO).

Last, if you want to see a beautiful coach, at MHSRV, take a look at the walnut interior Foretravel Realm. It is beautiful, plus you get the pneumatic slides versus the ugly slide toppers...yes $230k more, but a really nice coach on a K3 chassis with 600Hp.
Love that Fire Red! I'm slightly favoring the Elec Blue however as it's a bit more subtle (for me) but wifey likes your Red much bettah!... my say on this however as I have final say on exterior

I'm out on the Foretravel, I'm sure it's awesome, but my budget is 500K and I can land the CornerStone <ordered in> fully loaded including tax staying close to budget.

I've had a lot of "you don't want a black coach" PM's. To me, black looks the best clean, but hardest to keep clean of course. All my vehicles have been black, but none this large. I have a de-ionizer wash (actually only use it for rinse) system that makes it much easier than most think, but what are your thoughts? The gray in the back seems to make sense in this also?

Always detailing my cars, trucks and bikes just makes me naturally want to keep "it up" to a showroom clean/shine as well. I'm sure once I get older I will bow out on this more

Tags
entegra, newmar