Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 01:06 PM   #43

Again, hard to go wrong with any of them in this group!

A few more $.02's:

-Have you asked the competitors for pricing? And ask them to quote it with an included extended warranty. (And take sometime to research these, and tell them specifically the EW you would be interested in.) Quite often large dealers have good EW's that they of course like to add to revenue on by selling at time of purchase. You might be able to get a 'package deal' tat includes a new coach, and EW at their costs. (One extra year of Manufacturer Warranty is nice. But having a EW on an expensive high end coach, can sometimes be worth more then one extra year warranty.)

-Color choice is for sure personal. And many of the newer high end coaches are going with darker color schemes. I personally like lighter to maybe medium darker colors for two key reasons: 1) Easier to keep clean. Dark colors really show the dirt! Especially below the basement belt line and behind the Drive/Tag wheels. 2) Darker color coaches are harder to keep cool. A 45' with 3 13.5K AC units, can have a hard time maintaining temperatures. Upgrading to 15K can help (And probably OEM on all of these coaches(?).), but still working hard in higher and humid temperatures. Another factor an owner of a 42' dark color coach mentioned to me, is the higher costs of electricity, when staying at a park for longer periods of time, where you pay for the electricity you use.

You of course, can keep the change on my $.02 - and go have a blast. Oh, and since you mentioned budget, does the 2018 Entegra's come at a higher price point?

Best of ongoing luck!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #44

All good .02 Smitty!

I've always had black pickups and cars... look the sharpest when clean. They do get dirty or dusty before lighter ones. Those two coaches (I pictured) have gray in the rear wheels area and back cap. Should be reasonable considering you guys are calling it a black coach.

I already have a De-ionizer that works well on the rinses to keep blacks looking black (and shiny). My Motorcycle on the other hand I want to stand out (visibility).

Color me simple!
Top_Speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #45

Now comes fuel milage?

Staying within the Entegra line (here in this post anyways), I've been reading lots about many satisfied Anthem owners and why they did not upgrade/or chose the Cornerstone (money of course being the biggest).

So in considering the Anthem, I understand it will be "only" on a K2 chassis and no passive steer tag axle. Lighter front end and rating also, but pretty much the same shell and floorplan (a tad less bling like a plain ceiling fan in master, not as much inlay floor tile sets etc)... I guess I can deal with these.

BUT! One PM had a pretty good point (if this is true?). The Anthem w the 450 will get better mileage than the Cornerstone w the 600.

Now I understood this 450 vs 600 going into my coach search, but I thought the 600 used a taller rear-end gear ratio, and it could do this because of the additional hp or mainly torque. This gear ratio (keeps) the RPM's down slightly which offsets (or at least close enough) that the mileage comparison isn't of concern between these 2 models?

Chime in please, I plan on doing a lot of miles smiles and if this is a concern and a recognizable difference, then the Anthem may be my choice.

Much appreciated any thought and genuine answers
Old 11-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #46

You'd buy an Anthem and are worried about fuel mileage?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #47

I do agree that it would seem that someone purchasing a multi-hundred thousand dollar coach would be concerned about fuel mileage/costs, ...

BUT I also realize that folks like me who have grown up/always been concerned with costs savings can never really move away from that mindset, no matter how successful or wealthy they may later seem to others.

It's just built into our being.
and, as someone else said, it may be WHY they are able to purchase a coach of this cost... : )

I have a smaller ISB6.7 300hp that gets 11.5mpg ave for my 26k lb coach, though I'd like an Anthem's room and amenities with the same mpg average.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You'd buy an Anthem and are worried about fuel mileage?
Absolutely! I'm a business man. And traveling over 25K mi/yr adds up, especially if diesel goes back up close to the $5/gal mark.

I currently run a Chevy/Duramax 2500HD pulling my current 34' 5th. I had a Ford F250 diesel prior which did not get nearly the mileage, and I would not go back (to a Ford diesel) mainly b/c of this.

I'm not being cheap, just planning ahead and trying to be smart. If the Anthem w the 450hp is only microns ahead of the 600hp Cornerstone then no, I'm steering back towards the Cornerstone. But if the Anthem is like 20% better? I sure could deal down and take the 450hp Anthem.

I don't plan to 'Park' (sit) that much, so it's just some smart long distance thinking... and yes, maybe that's why I have some extra cash for toys? lol.

Back to any mileage differences w Anthem vs Cornerstone users?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #49

So taking some simple figures:

25K /yr at 6mpg = 4,166gal x 2.75/gal = $11,457
25K /yr at 8mpg = 3,125gal x 2.75/gal = $ 8,594
-----but now lets figure if fuel goes back up-----
25K /yr at 6mpg = 4,166gal x 4.95/gal = $20,622
25K /yr at 8mpg = 3,125gal x 4.95/gal = $15,469

In perspective, it's not a lot when considering these are both $350K and $500K coaches outright. But mind you if fuel goes back up and in a 10 year span you save $50K/yr in fuel? last I knew, $50K (for a 10 year modest life span) is no dog food! and in 20 years; it would be a $100K savings! Yuup, $100K gets your attention, eh? lol.

So my mind thinks this as; not as the coach already costs X amount, so what's a little more for fuel? You try to be as smart as you can in every department, fuel consumption with these 'behemoths' should be a consideration to some kind of level. Like said, if it is minimal between these two coaches, then yes... who cares! But I should know this one question before jumping into the 650hp Cornerstone.... and yes, the Anthem is like $150K less!

Cheers
Old 11-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #50

Edit correct the 50K Savings were for the 10 yr span, not per year.. but that would be nice!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #51

No offense...just struck me funny.

We, too, grew up pinching pennies and saving, saving, saving. We never had a debt other than a house and we paid those off early. Cars were always paid for with cash. Credit cards were paid in full monthly. When we went full-time our RVs were paid in cash. Of course, when we bought ours prices were different than what you are talking about. We 'only' paid $150k for our new special-ordered motorhome but we traded a house for it. So we understand about saving where you can. We could never afford to buy a comparable motorhome new nowadays. Prices have skyrocketed.

25,000 miles a year is a LOT to put on a RV. We full-timed and traveled constantly but only put on an average of 7,000/year. You must be planning to go cross-country many, many times a year! Once parked we used the economical car to get around. We also cut costs by staying out of RV parks for the most part - either using public parks or boondocking in remote area. Everyone travels differently, for sure.

Good luck with whatever one you choose and enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
I suspect your driving style, how heavy you load it, whether you tow a vehicle, and generator use will affect the mpg more than the difference in an ISL and an ISX.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #53

It's not just MPG over the years. Two key points a bigger engine will provide are:

1) A safety edge in acceleration, and sure hill climbing too.

2) More importantly to me, is the higher braking HP ov ghe BIG BLOCK engine, via Jake Compression 2 or maybe 3 Stage.

Those are two key sacety related items the bigger engines bring to the party.

Best of luck on your choice!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
No offense...just struck me funny..........

25,000 miles a year is a LOT to put on a RV...........
It's all good
Miles and Smiles? Not only for snowbirding in multiple (warm) loca's but we do follow a motorcycle rally group around, and it's coast to coast Spring to Fall. It could be 20K mi. some years I suppose.

I hear ya on the RV price rise, not only inflation but the gadgets and fancier layouts that have really piled up the prices. People see, people want I guess (to some extent of their budget).

Our 34ft fiberglass body painted 5th is considered "fancy" with a satellite dish and all, but in 2017 models standards?.... not!

Jealous of you full timers! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
It's not just MPG over the years. Two key points a bigger engine will provide are:

1) A safety edge in acceleration, and sure hill climbing too.

2) More importantly to me, is the higher braking HP ov ghe BIG BLOCK engine, via Jake Compression 2 or maybe 3 Stage.

Those are two key sacety related items the bigger engines bring to the party.

Best of luck on your choice!
Smitty
I've put those 1 & 2's^ on my weighted scales Smitty! I have reports that the Anthems 450hp as sufficient enough ponies or more importantly torque, but the 600hp/1950 TQ with FULL Jake Brake capabilities might tip the scales more towards the CS, and could come in handy out West when pulling a trailer with a car and 2 motorcycles in it..

Speaking of reports, a Cornerstone owner messaged me that he gets 6.8mpg average (w toading) for his Cornerstone 600hp.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
It's all good
Miles and Smiles? Not only for snowbirding in multiple (warm) loca's but we do follow a motorcycle rally group around, and it's coast to coast Spring to Fall. It could be 20K mi. some years I suppose.

I hear ya on the RV price rise, not only inflation but the gadgets and fancier layouts that have really piled up the prices. People see, people want I guess (to some extent of their budget).

Our 34ft fiberglass body painted 5th is considered "fancy" with a satellite dish and all, but in 2017 models standards?.... not!

Jealous of you full timers! Cheers!

I've put those 1 & 2's^ on my weighted scales Smitty! I have reports that the Anthems 450hp as sufficient enough ponies or more importantly torque, but the 600hp/1950 TQ with FULL Jake Brake capabilities might tip the scales more towards the CS, and could come in handy out West when pulling a trailer with a car and 2 motorcycles in it..

Speaking of reports, a Cornerstone owner messaged me that he gets 6.8mpg average (w toading) for his Cornerstone 600hp.
I've owned both Anthem&Cornerstone. It's true the Anthem will get you there, but the Cornerstone kicks it up several notches. As far as fuel economy if you drive them the same there won't be a mile per gal difference. The 600 turns about 300 rpm less than the 450 due to higher gearing. You can't go wrong with either one, but the Cornerstone is a joy to drive. It's also not just about the 600 Cummins, there's also the Spartan K3 chassis verses the m/m chassis for the Anthem. Someone above mentioned the K2 chassis for the Anthem,but it has the mountain master not the K2.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:32 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty123 View Post
I've owned both Anthem&Cornerstone. It's true the Anthem will get you there, but the Cornerstone kicks it up several notches. As far as fuel economy if you drive them the same there won't be a mile per gal difference. The 600 turns about 300 rpm less than the 450 due to higher gearing. You can't go wrong with either one, but the Cornerstone is a joy to drive. It's also not just about the 600 Cummins, there's also the Spartan K3 chassis verses the m/m chassis for the Anthem. Someone above mentioned the K2 chassis for the Anthem,but it has the mountain master not the K2.
Thank you! Now this is the chime-in that I was waiting for!

300 rips doesn't sound like much, especially if this is measured at 70-75mph?. But remember these are "very" low RPM engines (as all diesels are, at least compared to Gasser's). So <thinking> 300 RPM's less could actually be a 5-10% reduction in RPM's. Hence maybe why the mileage is a wash between the two, and what I mentioned (guessed) a few posts ago on speculation why the two engines may be close in mileage.

This will weigh heavily (for me) to go with the Cornerstone and the 600. Another efficiency/longevity way of thinking here? 10% less RPM's?, 10% less friction and overall wear on the engine!. And, low RPM's and lubricating fuel is where diesels excel for longevity in the first place!

Cheers and Many thanks!

Tags
entegra, newmar