RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The set on our 2003 went to 60,000 when I traded it. This coach is four years old with 41,000 miles and no cracking. I expect them to get there ok.
Something funny when I was looking at used motorhomes in 2008 .. if look at the in side dual on 90% had issues and if guy said new tires . They were always tires just at the rated limit . And brands at the lowest end of quality Spectrum. Funny how that works. So used motorhome s just go with idea just so you can drive it to the tire shop lol it's just how the class A world works. lol and great point for used salesman to know about.

Itasca66

Good rule of thumb you see michlin tires on a used rig . Check the date code. lol.
Itasca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
Something funny when I was looking at used motorhomes in 2008 .. if look at the in side dual on 90% had issues and if guy said new tires . They were always tires just at the rated limit . And brands at the lowest end of quality Spectrum. Funny how that works. So used motorhome s just go with idea just so you can drive it to the tire shop lol it's just how the class A world works. lol and great point for used salesman to know about.

Itasca66

Good rule of thumb you see michlin tires on a used rig . Check the date code. lol.
I don't think I would run any tire past seven years, but that's just me. I find the same to be true with trailer tires. Most 15 and 16" trailer tires are made in a foreign country and I have not had good luck with them. They also have a size and rating that just barely exceeds the axle rating. I am ordering a new open one and will insist they build it for 16" tires to replace the 225X75/R15 standard. I can then select a tire that will give me a 20% safety margin. Why don't the MH manufacturers offer an upgraded tire as an option instead of making the consumer in some cases have to load them to max pressure for max capacity. By adjusting my tag suspension, I can keep all positions close to or below 90% capacity. Not everyone can do that especially without a tag.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #17

Yes tires get interesting I bought Gs for my motorhome that only needs Es they work fantastic. Took care of all known issues .
I can only put max 80psi do to rim specs . And down the road 65psi to 70psi and there all season steel belted radial. They run about $150-$200 now . They were only $100 a tire in 2009. Hankook F19. With tires you need to cut throw marketing hype and look what there really made of . Yes guy at tire shop was cussing me those Gs are so stiff he had trouble getting them to seat on a 6 inch rim rofl. Check out a G tire sometime you'll think holy **** 👍

Itasca66
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itasca66 View Post
Yes tires get interesting I bought Gs for my motorhome that only needs Es they work fantastic. Took care of all known issues .
I can only put max 80psi do to rim specs . And down the road 65psi to 70psi and there all season steel belted radial. They run about $150-$200 now . They were only $100 a tire in 2009. Hankook F19. With tires you need to cut throw marketing hype and look what there really made of . Yes guy at tire shop was cussing me those Gs are so stiff he had trouble getting them to seat on a 6 inch rim rofl. Check out a G tire sometime you'll think holy **** 👍

Itasca66
Last fall I installed 4 235X85R16 G rated Good Year G614's on my enclosed trailer that only needed E's. $1200 installed. A great tire. After my son went to them a few years ago on his implement trailers, no more tire failures.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Last fall I installed 4 235X85R16 G rated Good Year G614's on my enclosed trailer that only needed E's. $1200 installed. A great tire. After my son went to them a few years ago on his implement trailers, no more tire failures.
Yes do a search they make boat trailer tires that are D's trick there is you need to get heavier rims .

Itasca
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #20

Stay away from made in China And Korea because their quality control is not up to our standards. They are cheaper in every aspect.
My coach came with Michelins and I like them. On my last coach I put on Continentals. Now FMCA has discounts on them along with the Michelins. Remember when a tire blows on a coach it almost always causes a lot of damage to the coach!
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #21

I will keep you posted hankook F19 Gs are South Korean. There design for tandem axle trailers also beside RVs. The company gave me the tire pressure weight chart
So I'm doing everything by the book . I had michlin before that. Ride and handling was better with hankook tires. I thinking because of stiffer sidewalls. I'm running a 1992 p37 ( p30 chassis )
750-16s F19 so far I'm very happy with them . They did great in mud also . You just don't know until you try them .👍😁

Itasca66
Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Hate to burst some bubbles but some of the best tires are now coming out of S. Korea and China. And many are with familiar brand names on the sidewall. Michelins can come from Russia,China, USA, Europe. same with other brands- it is a world market out there. Having said that there are also some east Asian brands that are not the least bit recognizable and should be looked at with a lot of skepticism.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #23

Commercial Member

All tires have Sulfur as part of their cure system. Any smell from new tires should go away in a few days unless you are in closed area.
Of course as a tire engineer I kind a like the new tire smell. Ya I know, strange
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Hate to burst some bubbles but some of the best tires are now coming out of S. Korea and China. And many are with familiar brand names on the sidewall. Michelins can come from Russia,China, USA, Europe. same with other brands- it is a world market out there. Having said that there are also some east Asian brands that are not the least bit recognizable and should be looked at with a lot of skepticism.
That makes sence with my finding on hankook tires I have. 8 years no sign of cracking or issues yet . And ride very nice after I used the hankook tire psi to weight chart for my weight rig . I was very very surprised at the ride it gave a 12,300lb rated rig F19 7.50 16 but it was a gamble in 2009 I could not anyone that used them for reviews and I just went for it . And no I don't have any sales interest of hankook just a happy customer.

Itasca.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
All tires have Sulfur as part of their cure system. Any smell from new tires should go away in a few days unless you are in closed area.
Of course as a tire engineer I kind a like the new tire smell. Ya I know, strange

So.. why is it the tires I bought in 2015 still smell like manure on certain days??
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #26

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
So.. why is it the tires I bought in 2015 still smell like manure on certain days??

Not sure. Have you tried a simple wash of the tires using same soap and cloth you would use on the side of the RV?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought 2 toyo 154's last year that smelled for months. Then 4 rears that smelled for about a week.

Whats different?

Mike

Tags
advice, tires