Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 01:22 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I use WM, I park as aauummm does-- actually reversed because of our configuration-- driver side to the curb, usually at the edge of the lot, often with a treeline. This allows us to extend LR and BR slides, but we leave the passenger side Kitchen slide retracted, and its no problem. No jacks down.

One thing to recognize about WM overnights is that they are not always "free". They are almost always convenient, but sometimes not "free". We did a WM overnight two summers ago in hot weather where we ran the gen for 14 hours. If the time of year dictates that you run your gen for heat or a/c, you might be better off to drive a few miles to a campground where you can plug in and have a nicer view. I calculate that my generator costs about $2.75/hr or more to run, so we consider that now. YMMV......
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #16
laj

for me its not the money saved its the convenience. i can come as i want, and always plan first night there so i can stock the mh. i use gen. as wanted, but usually never, and dont have jacks so thats never an issue.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We ask the manager if it's ok to put out the slides. They have ALL said yes it's OK. We find a somewhat secluded area so we will not have a problem, then go ahead and extend ALL slides.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
When I use WM, I park as aauummm does-- actually reversed because of our configuration-- driver side to the curb, usually at the edge of the lot, often with a treeline. This allows us to extend LR and BR slides, but we leave the passenger side Kitchen slide retracted, and its no problem. No jacks down.

One thing to recognize about WM overnights is that they are not always "free". They are almost always convenient, but sometimes not "free". We did a WM overnight two summers ago in hot weather where we ran the gen for 14 hours. If the time of year dictates that you run your gen for heat or a/c, you might be better off to drive a few miles to a campground where you can plug in and have a nicer view. I calculate that my generator costs about $2.75/hr or more to run, so we consider that now. YMMV......
Yup ... I'm right at $2 per hour with current diesel fuel cost.

But, as mentioned, sometimes it's the convenience and proximity to your route that matters.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 AM   #19

I've been using Wally World Coast too Coast Campgrounds for ages and love it. I didn't hear anybody mention a large thanks to them. So at this time I'd like to extend a huge thanks to Uncle Wally for his hospitality from ALL OF US. And remember always leave it better then you found it.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #20

Thanks all for the replies. I had done a google street view of the store lot and it seamed level. Really see no need at this point to put jacks down. We only want to stay till morning then head on our way. I would never make it a camp ground site in a WM parking lot lol but I guess there are always those that believe it is their right to do so not a privilege. We'll have someone with us so it would be great to extend the slide for that friend to sleep. I'll ask the manager when we get there if the slides are ok. Thanks for the photos I like the thought process and we'll park so the door is to the store for a little extra safety.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Good advice! It helps to scope out the store layout in Google Earth also. You will want to stay away from the entrance that the semis use to go to the dock area. WalMart semis can come and go all night long!
I use the Allstays app on my I-Phone to look at the best approaches and places to park. Just like Google Earth but more convenient since the app finds the Walmart and then allows you to zoom in immediately . Some of the newer parking lots can be difficult to maneuver around the curbing with my 41 foot rig towing the Tahoe. So I look at the situation before I get in trouble.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not sleep without slide out as the bed is in one of the slides and it's blocked if they are in, Do not always put out main slide though.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #23

We never park in a Wal Mart parking lot. We're not rich by any means. But if we can afford a moho we can afford an rv park. Besides you never know who is coming to knock on your door in the middle of the night..Question is : will you answer the knock ????
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
as far as putting the jacks out. what is the cross sectional area of a tire as it is setting on the pavement. Is that small section of tire smaller than the pad of a jack. And what about a semi trailer tire. Some of them way half again to double what a motorhome does. What is the cross sectional area of the tire on them versus the size of a jack pad. I think the issue of putting jacks down and damaging the parking lot is not as big an issue as most people think. In very hot weather I would be more worried about it but not in cooler weather or mild weather.
I have no idea how many pounds per square inch a large coach generates when it uses it leveling jacks. I do know from personal experience that my brother in laws 40' American Eagle leaves half inch to three quarter inch deep depressions in asphalt when he uses the jacks on it. I still have the marks on the road in front of my house where he has parked it and that was 6 years ago. Lighter units may not leave marks but I have seen first hand that heavier ones can.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is an example of just the opposite of a WM parking lot. This is in Williston, ND, Jan. 2012. The picture does not show it all, the entire parking lot was nearly full of RV'rs looking for a place to stay while working there. Actually many of the vehicles in the picture had people sleeping in them too, guess where they cleaned up?! Obviously this situation has changed since then and campers are no longer permitted. At one time WM was even selling from their lot one room living cubes. This is what happens when a good thing is abused for sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1694.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	58551
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #26

I feel safer in a Walmart parking lot then some CG. They have security riding around all night. And you can jump back on the road quickly the next morn. We get food, rent DVDss. I had manicure once and hubby had a haircut!
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
I have no idea how many pounds per square inch a large coach generates when it uses it leveling jacks. I do know from personal experience that my brother in laws 40' American Eagle leaves half inch to three quarter inch deep depressions in asphalt when he uses the jacks on it. I still have the marks on the road in front of my house where he has parked it and that was 6 years ago. Lighter units may not leave marks but I have seen first hand that heavier ones can.
The voice of reason! Besides, I'm not even going to do the math... it's their property and their hospitality. If they ask me not to use my levelers, I'm not going to since I still have the choice to go elsewhere. The least I can do as an appreciation. My sincerest thanks to Walmart for their hospitality!
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We have not overnighted at a Walmart. Where we have overnighted thou is State Welcome Centers, Rest Areas, Truck Stops and of course CGs. We have seen RVs in strip mall shopping centers, large malls parking lots and well just about everywhere and including Walmart. We even saw one that had plugged into the light pole in a strip mall shopping center for some electric.

There are several ways/apps to get information on where Walmarts and rest areas are. Some are free and some are not. The app I use is free - Trucker Apps: My DAT Trucker Services | CDLLife - it has truck stops, most fuel prices, big rig friendly hotels (just in case) with discounts, rest areas and walmarts.