Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #15

I would go wider than 15'. If you store a Class A with slides on both sides or a similar 5th wheel, and you wanted to extend the slides while working on the coach or getting it ready for a trip or cleaning up after a trip, you wouldn't have much space to walk around the coach. Also, consider putting in some pull-through units with overhead doors at each end. I also vote for 50A service in case you have to work on the electrical system. I should say that I live near Denver so indoor storage is probably more important than in KS. Most larger indoor RV storage in this area seems to be condo ownership rather than rentals.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyRV View Post
Hi - I have access to some land and as part of development we are considering building large, luxury motor RV rental storage units in South Johnson County, KS. ..........
What's your potential market? How many registered luxury MH or 5th within...... what? 75? 100 miles? Subscription rate-- 10%?? 15%?? Any competition? How are they doing? Someone mentioned storms; F4, F5 tolerant?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #17

Thanks for all your great suggestions. We are in the very early stages of planning, so I have been researching what similar facilities charge, what amenities they offer, etc. Since I'm no expert, I figured the best people to ask about RV Storage would be people who are helping others via online forums and RV clubs, which is why I've posted on multiple sites. Sorry to appear to be spammy :-) I believe the more input we have on this idea, the better outcome we will have. I wouldn't want to build something that sits empty, or ends up being useless for the customers we've built it for!

As noted in several posts, there are a few other facilities in the area, so we wouldn't want to replicate exactly what they are doing. My understanding is that those facilities are at capacity, which is where the idea to build a new one was sparked. In addition, only one of those (Carriage Houses) is in Johnson County, and the others are a 45-60 minute drive northeast from that area.

It sounds like we probably won't need a dump station in each bay, and I'll keep asking around to see what people recommend about power. We may be able to provide 15 amp power for some, and more for others with a different price tag. Maybe we also have larger units that are wider that 15', and a pull-through option as well.

Tornado, hail, and other weather damage is always a concern here in Kansas, so in addition to building the facility with that in mind, we will need to ensure adequate insurance coverage in case of a catastrophic weather event. Kansas actually has some of the worst rates for hail damage in the nation, so the RV owners I've spoken with are especially concerned about protecting their vehicles.

Thank you again for your ideas, these are very helpful! I appreciate you all sharing your wisdom with me!
AshleyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
My suggestion on power would be to pre wire all units and add 50A if requested by the user at his cost. I rent a 45' x 14' and have had trouble keeping the batteries charged up as the inverter/charger will pop the button on the switch plate. With the rent at $315 a month it would take me well beyond 10 years just to pay off owning my own building not counting the cost of the land. There are at least two condo type facilities in our area that seem to have been sold out. Many of them are used by small repair shops or small businesses that want secure storage for their repair trucks etc. Do not limit your customer base to those using only RV's and you will be successful. Lots of classic car owners out there that don't have shops at home or can't store because of zoning.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #19

I used to store mine in the caves. It was $200 per month based on length of 39' but you drop them off and they drive them down into the caves for you. You can't go down there. It's very secure and of course there's no risk of hail, tornados, rain, snow, etc and no need to winterized because it's about 60 degrees year round. You call ahead and they will have your coach or trailer waiting for you to pick up. It was very convenient. There was little damage from constant sun.

I live on the Missouri side so I wouldn't be interested but Johnson County KS is a very affluent area and I'm very sure that you would not be allowed to park your RV in your driveway so I think there might be some interest in what the OP is proposing. I actually think if I lived on the KS side I would be interested if pricing was reasonable.
Marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I applaud your query here.

There may be a market for higher end storage facilities in that area. Perhaps even making extra services available such as washing, detailing & maybe have service guys available to fix the little things that come up. I like to do things myself when I can, and I know a lot of folks here do as well, but there is also a world of people that would rather pay someone else.

While storing in a cave will have a certain weather advantage (storms & winter) they won't have a good location advantage.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I live in Johnson County Kansas, it is a suburb of Kansas City that Leawood, Overland Park, Olathe, Shawnee, Merriam, Lenexa and other communities.

I currently store my unit in a cave and have since 2001. Very secure, climate controlled by underground with temperatures about 65 degrees year round, humidity controlled.

Negative for me is the distance from home (about 33 miles), no dump, water, or electrical. It would be nice to have a community dump (even if you charge per dump), fresh water, and 15-20 amp electric, and a wash bay would be really nice.

Obviously your price per month would need to be competitive, but I have always thought storage in Johnson County KS or South Kansas City would be a huge opportunity if you offered some amenities. I personally am not looking for a "man cave" garage, I would like a secure safe storage facility.

Most areas in Kansas City area will not allow RV parking at your home (homes association restrictions) which I am good with, but the trees are too low for me to safely take my unit to my home to get water, wash or load/unload.

I use my unit more in the cool/colder months than I do in warm weather, so not having to winterize is huge to me plus the protection from the sun, hail and temperature extremes.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage