Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 05:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Storage Facility Requiring Me to Carry $1M Liability Coverage

We store our motorhome in a heated indoor storage facility. I got a call that they were reviewing tenant insurance policies and now require anyone who plugs into electrical to keep batteries charged to carry $1M insurance liability coverage.

We have stored at other places in the past and never been given limits of liability coverage that were required. Our contract also did not specify this. We of course carry full coverage (as do all tenants) but not to those amounts. They said the coverage was to protect their property should something happen like a fire. At nearly $400/mo rental I would expect the facility to carry sufficient liability insurance for their property.

Is this common or are they trying to pass their insurance burden on to renters?
mmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:52 AM   #2

We keep our motor home at or house but we have a boat at a marina it requires 1mill
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstump View Post
We store our motorhome in a heated indoor storage facility. I got a call that they were reviewing tenant insurance policies and now require anyone who plugs into electrical to keep batteries charged to carry $1M insurance liability coverage.
I haven't ran into that with MH storage but I have seen some MH fires attributed to inverters or fridges that may be the driving force.
I wonder if you only plugged in a 2A batty maintainer whether the requirement would still apply?
I don't "plug the MH in" but have permanently mounted and wired 2 maintainers that are powered by one extension cord.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #4

I'm not sure how many units are stored in the facility you are using but if you think about it one million dollars wouldn't go too far if there was a few higher end RV's stored there.
Check with your insurance company for a rate quote. The facility would probably have to be listed as an additional insured.
This is one reason I remove my batteries and take them home after I park my MH where I store it. The owner requires all batteries be disconnected and nothing is plugged in. At home I can charge them and I can use them in my enclosed race trailer if I need to.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstump View Post
Is this common or are they trying to pass their insurance burden on to renters?

It is both. I'm a landlord and although I don't require my tenants to carry liability insurance I have thought about it and many landlords do require it. If they overflow the bathtub or start the place on fire it's my insurance that takes the hit right now, and the attendant increases in my premiums for who knows how long. If they have insurance it's there insurance that takes the hit. Looking at it from the landlords point of view why should they pay for your potential negligence?
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #6

Have you checked with your insurance carrier to see how much extra that would cost? I doubt it is that much money in relation to your monthly cost to store your vehicle.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #7

If it was your RV that had a short and started a fire you would have some liability involved. The fellow next to you with a high dollar RV might be in line to sue you for the value of his RV. Chances are it wouldn't be just one either. Then there is the value of the building, loss of business for the building's owner etc.
It's a sue happy world out there. Better to be protected than not.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I carry a $2M umbrella policy...not that expensive and covers a lot more than just our house or MH. If your rig started the fire that totaled the facility, $2M is probably not enough.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #9

An umbrella policy is probably the best way to go here.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

The added liability coverage is not very expensive. I'm surprized that you are not being required to list the storage facility as an additional named insured. Practically all marinas in FL require that and it does not add anything to insurance costs.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #11

I got a 2 million dollar umbrella policy and it actually reduced my overall total yearly insurance cost for the house, motorhome, vehicles, barn etc. The umbrella covered things my other policies already covered, so when the agent reduced the duplicate coverage it brought down the overall cost.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #12

Premier RV of Oregon had a fire in November 2017 at their indoor storage facility. Here is an article about the costs. I am not sure if the number includes the cost to the damaged and totaled RVs.

www.come2oregon.com/premier-rv-of-oregon-moves-past-fire/
Old 10-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Once again the iRV2 community comes through! Many thanks for all of your input, and ideas. Your experience is very helpful. The facility would like us to add them as covered entities but is not requiring it. The good news is we have an umbrella policy that will cover us, but I wanted to confirm the appropriateness of their request before sharing that level of information with them. I feel more comfortable now.

The suggestions to remove the batteries are good ones. Unfortunately our coach’s systems require constant power. Proof that bells and whistles = complexity. I did used to remove the battery from our travel trailer to charge at home in winter.

Many thanks again for sharing your experience and perspectives. It is so nice to be reminded that we are not alone in this crazy RV adventure. ��
mmstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #14

How do they know if you got the insurance added? Photocopy? Seems an easy workaround, if you know what I mean....
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage