Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #1

Storage for winter indoor garage - jacks down?

Storage for winter indoor garage. Should we put our jacks down a bit to get some weight off the tires?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum Class A 38ft MountainAire
Frappier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:17 AM   #2

Absolutely, put plywood or some sort of barrier between the tires and your flooring. Keep your fuel tank full and add an additive. Running the engine, or gennie (Gas or Diesel) an hour every 30 days under a half load is harmful and wasteful.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frappier View Post
Storage for winter indoor garage. Should we put our jacks down a bit to get some weight off the tires?
Never use the levelers to raise the wheels off the ground - it can bend cylinder rods. Using them to reduce the amount of weight on each tire is plausible. When the levelers are extended the rods are exposed leaving them vulnerable to rust pitting. Being inside will help prevent this moreso than being outside, but it certainly can occur. Likewise it's not always feasible to raise and block the unit off the ground. For extended leveling I use a thin coat of bearing grease wiped on with a paper towel to the exposed rods. This helps prevent rust pitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
..... Running the engine, or gennie (Gas or Diesel) an hour every 30 days under a half load is harmful and wasteful.
Absolutely incorrect. Not sure if you have a diesel or gas rig but in either case the rule of thumb is not to run the engine during extended storage unless you can allow it run up to operating temperatures. If you can't then it's best to allow it to sleep until next season. The worst thing for either type of engine is to start it for a few minutes and shut it off before it's had a chance to come up to operating temps, displace moisture, etc etc.

Generators absolutely must be exercised on a monthly basis. Whether gasoline or diesel the worst thing a generator can do is "sit". It's imperative they be run to displace moisture to prevent oxidization buildup in the AC alternator section of the unit, prevent slip rings from oxidizing, etc etc. Most all manufactuers recommend a minimum of 2 hrs every month under at least 1/2 load. I see comments all the time about someone who has generator problems and they say it's a 2000 model year with really low hours on it, like 50 hrs.

A well exercised and used generator is a happy and healthy generator.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #4

Its also a good idea to run your AC's when running the generator. This will exercise the AC units.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have heard a lot of stories about how bad it is to run your motor until you can bring it up to operating temperature. Quite frankly I do not agree with those opinions. I think it is better to get it up to operating temperature if possible but if not I think it is better to start it up and run it for a short period on a regular basis. For one thing it get oil circulating around in your engine. It has all the external items with bearings such as alternator, water pump, hydraulic pump those items get to rotate and do not sit in one position for months at a time. It also lubricates various seals which will dry out if left sitting for too long such as the valve stem seals. I have let engines set on vehicles for months that I have not used and it did not appear to be good for them with valve seals starting to leak oil by as the top of the list. I start my engine on my DP every month and let it run for a short period of time. Usually I let it run until it warms up to operating temp but if I have to shut it down earlier than that I do not worry about it.

Now everyone that wants to show me how wrong I am go ahead and you can send me the associated tests etc. I can pretty well make a test that will show anything I want it to. Interesting fact about Goldwing motorcycles. Honda years ago wanted to see what would happen if they did not change oil on their engine in a Goldwing. They drove it 100,000 miles without an oil change. It did not show any significant wear versus one that had been changed every 3000 miles. I like to change mine but that is probably because I am a sucker for all the hype.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To answer the original posters question. Do what you think feels good for you to do. If you are more comfortable with the jacks down put them down if you are more comfortable with them up leave them up I frankly do not think it makes any difference. Unless you are running nylon tires ( do they still make those) You will not get a flat spot on your tires from the weight. Pitting on jacks are a possibility but frankly those are chrome plated rods on the jacks and think about people that are full timers. Those coaches spend most of their lives with the jacks extended and how many posts do you see on here about people having trouble with the jacks having pitted rods.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

All I can say is that my Spartan owners manual states to store the coach with the levelers down. That's what I do. Whatever you decide to do is probably not disastrous either way.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #8

I spoke to Spartan, they recommend jacks down, don't run engine, do run generator for two hours and turn on the A/Cs units. Spartan explained why you don't want to run your engine while in storage if it will be sitting for a long period of time. I also got the same information from the Cummins NE when I had my rig services before our summer travels.

Entegra CS also said to exercise the three A/Cs.

Give Spartan a call for your own piece of mind. I fingered they would know as they built the chassis.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Frappier,
Up or down, it matters not. Do what makes you sleep at night. Michelin and HWH agree. Don't believe me, call them to make sure. More importantly, do not leave the tires on concrete. Put plastic under each tire.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, indoor, jacks, storage, winter