Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Storage Ideas

Maybe some of the more experienced Class A folks can share some of the methods they have developed for keeping the outside compartments free of clutter. Photos would be great. I am still trying to organize things.
Thanks in advance.
Pete
Zman1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #2

Oh Great!

Now "fire-up" is gonna pop in and shame us all.......
Old 06-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

Here is one idea for you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	206124  
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Oh Great!

Now "fire-up" is gonna pop in and shame us all.......
It took me several minutes to settle down from laughing too. Thank you Sir for your "nice" comment. To the OP, in the pictures below, what you're seeing is the result of 24 years of experience in outfitting brand new fire trucks when they arrived at our repair facility. This was an overtime assignment for me, outside my duties as a regular fireman. Now, this type of thing is not to me, being "OCD" or in anyway anal. To me, organization is just plain simple and efficient. If and when one needs a particular item, you know EXACTLY where it is. And, because it (and many other items) have their own spot, it gets put back in its place.

Obviously, Mr Powell's seen my system. (cracking up again) Now, what and how I do things, quite possibly might not apply to all RVers and their equipment/storage needs. Some things just need to be in a box. I don't like boxes so, I have minimal items that need to be in only ONE box. But, that's just me and my system, yours may be different. One of my goals in doing this is to keep the floors of my compartments as clutter free as possible. Well, try as I may, that's pretty tough to do, based again on certain items. Pretty tough to hang a fully loaded three-drawer tool box on a wall!

Anyway, take a look and see if anything sparks an interest. This kind of stuff is fun for me and, it produces organization at the same time.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	206143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	206144  

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	206145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	206146  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
(sigh) I may have to block Fire_Up just so that I don't have to feel the shame of my semi-neat, but trashy by comparison, basement storage.
Of course on second look I see that he's got a squeegee stored with fishing equipment. I'm pretty sure the storage gods frown on that sort of thing.

Kidding aside, that looks great there Mr Fire, nice work!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fire up, nice ideas. Got me thinking again..........

Here's another idea for my spare slinky hose and ladder. I have complete dead space above the propane tank in the fuel/propane tank compartment. Took some PVC pipe and square PVC fence posts from Lowes. The compartment goes full width, so access is easy from either side. The red bolt just holds the ladder from vibrating out.

Name:	Fuel compartment.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	206161
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Aaahhhhhh,
You guys are getting the "MacGyver" disease I've had for decades. If one has any ability to sit back and think; "Hmmm, what could I do here, in this compartment that would make things better and more efficient?" Then, if you've got some basic tools, either some scraps of whatever laying around or, go buy some, and just put together some ideas towards a finished product. Sometimes the MacGyvering doesn't always go as planned. So, re-do it.

Pretty much no one's born with all the manufacturing/fabrication/alteration/ and repair skills. They have to be acquired and, improved upon. Experimentation is the name of the game here. When we were outfitting fire trucks, our motto was:

The heaviest and most used tools and equipment was to be mounted low and in front. The least used and lightest tools were to be mounted up higher and, towards the rear of a compartment.

Did that theory ALWAYS work, heck no. But, it was what we aimed for. Motorhome compartments have WALLS. For many items we all carry and use on a semi-regular basis, those quite possibly can be put or mounted on a wall so that the floor of a compartment is kept clean and or, for more heavier items that cannot be mounted. (i.e. Tool box) Now, not everyone's got the background in welding for metal fabrication that would be needed to form and weld up the shelf you see in my picture with all the fluids in it. But, that same exact type shelf, can be made of WOOD.

Some 3/8" or possibly 1/4" Birch plywood (very high quality plywood with ZERO voids in it) can be substituted for aluminum in many cases. A saw, some glue, some screws and, you've got yourself a shelf. And, you've eliminated at least some items from the floor area of a compartment. The more you clear from a floor, the more space you have for those intermittent carried items, stuff you have for only one trip or, a return to home trip etc.

One of the things that need to be taken into consideration is, when mounting brackets/holders etc. on wall, keep in mind what's BEHIND those walls you're drilling or screwing into. Water tanks don't play well with drill bit or screw tips. (REALLY don't ask me how I know about that one). There are commercially made tool holding brackets made that will work for lots of different applications of what you're trying to hang on a wall. You just want to make sure that it's the "capture" type of bracket/holder. That is, you can't just lay a tool on a bracket and expect it to be there at the end of a days travel.

It must be mounted with some kind of bracket that captures or, holds whatever you've inserted into it. You need to use force to take it off the bracket is what I'm trying to say. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage