RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Storage Procedure

Could you guys please let me know if I did the right thing? This is new to me.

I put my coach into climate controlled indoor storage last Thursday, in Elkhart IN. Very nice clean facility with lots of security.

I plan to leave it there about one month. Batteries were fully charged when I left the coach there. The facility has my keys and is willing to start genset or motor, at my request.

What I did:
- Turned off all circuit breakers
- Turned off salesman switch
- Turned off inverter at remote panel
- Turned off both battery disconnects
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe you will be fine... that is nice they are willing to start your engine and generator on call... I would do that on week 3 just to peak things up... Can't hurt...
Bill
Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0GEN View Post
I believe you will be fine... that is nice they are willing to start your engine and generator on call... I would do that on week 3 just to peak things up... Can't hurt...
Bill
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #4

We store our adventurer for 2 months during the holidays and 4 months during the summer. I turn off all the energy users then open the battery disconnects at the batteries. I also dump all the holding tanks including the fresh water and water heater.

When we return after 4 months I close the disconnects and the coach starts up instantly.

In my experience there would be no reason to start the coach in the month you are gonna be gone. If the batteries run down in that short of time then something is likely wrong with them and it needs to be investigated.
AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
Could you guys please let me know if I did the right thing? This is new to me.

I put my coach into climate controlled indoor storage last Thursday, in Elkhart IN. Very nice clean facility with lots of security.

I plan to leave it there about one month. Batteries were fully charged when I left the coach there. The facility has my keys and is willing to start genset or motor, at my request.

What I did:
- Turned off all circuit breakers
- Turned off salesman switch
- Turned off inverter at remote panel
- Turned off both battery disconnects
I don't think you should worry about turning off any circuit breakers. You didn't say, but if the coach is connected to 120 volt power during its stay, I'd leave everything on except the invertor. You'd need to make sure the chassis battery is getting a charge and if not, attach a stand alone fully automatic battery charger/maintainer to it.

If there is no 120 volt power supplied, then turning off the salesman switch and disconnecting the chassis battery is probably a good idea. The batteries, if in good shape, should have no problem holding their charge for a month or two.

Personally, I'd rather not have anyone messing with my coach if it could be helped. But if you do insist on having the guy at the facility go into your coach to run the engine and genset, then you need to make sure he knows what he's doing. I'd rather be there if something went wrong.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Pduggs, I would also empty the ice maker since the fridge will be off.

Mark
Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Pduggs, I would also empty the ice maker since the fridge will be off.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I did dump the ice and left frig doors open.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I don't think you should worry about turning off any circuit breakers. You didn't say, but if the coach is connected to 120 volt power during its stay, I'd leave everything on except the invertor. You'd need to make sure the chassis battery is getting a charge and if not, attach a stand alone fully automatic battery charger/maintainer to it.

If there is no 120 volt power supplied, then turning off the salesman switch and disconnecting the chassis battery is probably a good idea. The batteries, if in good shape, should have no problem holding their charge for a month or two.

Personally, I'd rather not have anyone messing with my coach if it could be helped. But if you do insist on having the guy at the facility go into your coach to run the engine and genset, then you need to make sure he knows what he's doing. I'd rather be there if something went wrong.
Agreed. I donít intend to have them start my coach but if I am delayed in getting back to the coach, I will have them check it.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

I donít think the battery disconnects turn off the carbon monoxide or propane detectors. This tiny draw is enough to drain batteries in several weeks. Better to disconnect the negative battery cable to ensure NO power can flow.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I donít think the battery disconnects turn off the carbon monoxide or propane detectors. This tiny draw is enough to drain batteries in several weeks. Better to disconnect the negative battery cable to ensure NO power can flow.
I noticed the lights on the detectors was still on, after I shut everything off. Our plan is to take the coach out of storage in about two weeks. I am hopeful that the batteries will hold up till then.

Tags
storage