Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Strange electical dash problem

When I start out in the morning and fire up the Motorhome, everything on the dash works. If I stop for fuel or lunch and shut off the engine then start up to go again, the radio/gps, windshield fans, mirror controls, usb port, and HVAC including the fan, AC, and Heat will not come on.

The next day everything works again in the morning, but, not if I stop along the way. I have checked the fuses, connectors in the compartment and in the dash, and spoke to Forest River. We are all stumped.

Any ideas would be great. I have an XCR Freightliner Chassis, 360HP 6.7L Cummins both 2019 chassis and coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #2

Sounds like a 'heat soak' issue to me. What happens is that while you're driving, you're getting a near constant flow of air over some component or connector. When you stop, the latent heat is stuck there around whatever is causing the problem and has to dissipate without help from road wind.

Does just sitting for an hour with the engine off help bring stuff back sooner? Two hours? Three? Or is it only overnight?

That's just a guess of course. You know your machine, does that sound plausible?

Of course, checking out the underside of the dash for a loose connection would be high on the testing list too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:34 AM   #3

You need look at a schematic and follow all of those back to a common point. A failing self resetting breaker would be high on my list.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I would look for a relay that might not be latching.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post

Talk to Forest River, again and ask if they install auxiliary ignition relay (and/ or circuit breaker) to power their equipment .
If they do you need to know where, and what it looks like.
Then ask where the power comes from to activate the relay; you know it's from the ignition switch , but where they tied in to the Freightliner wiring .
Sounds like all the Freightliner wiring is working , just issues with the coach builder's installed items.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Sounds like a 'heat soak' issue to me. What happens is that while you're driving, you're getting a near constant flow of air over some component or connector. When you stop, the latent heat is stuck there around whatever is causing the problem and has to dissipate without help from road wind.

Does just sitting for an hour with the engine off help bring stuff back sooner? Two hours? Three? Or is it only overnight?

That's just a guess of course. You know your machine, does that sound plausible?

Of course, checking out the underside of the dash for a loose connection would be high on the testing list too.
Usually takes over night, thanks for your info
Old 06-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I spoke to Forest River and the electrical engineer said there is no relay on those items. He said get a tech out to look at it.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #8

Sorry, I would find it very hard to believe that you don't have an IGNITION SOLENOID that is controlled by the ignition switch.

If you don't have one, all those loads, including the high amp ones would have to be powered through the ignition switch itself. That would quickly burn it out.

Find the ignition solenoid and test it the next time this happens:

One large lug will have chassis battery voltage all the time. If you have been on the road, it should read above 12.7 VDC.

The other large lug should have exactly the same voltage with the ignition is ON.

Let us know what you find.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I spoke to Forest River and the electrical engineer said there is no relay on those items. He said get a tech out to look at it.
Ignition relay /solenoid ; as Brett says all the added loads would easily overload the ignition switch and if it was shutting down the engine and Freightliner gauge functions would quit too .
Have you found the fuse panel for all the Forest River dash functions that quit when hot ?
Are those fuses in a box , marked BCC ( Battery Control Center )?

Can you post pictures of any fuse panel you find for the Forest River items ?

Tags
dash, problem