Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #1

Strange electric issues

We have a 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire gasser on a F53 chassis. Yesterday I went to the stoarge unit to exercise the generator. I leave it plugged into 120v shore power when not in use. When I got there I unplugged it, checked the coach batteries and all was fine. Then I ran the generator on heavy load for a little over an hour. When that was over I shut down the generator and had no battery power. So I plugged it back in for about 20 seconds and when I unplugged it again I had full battery power. This happens repetitively. No battery power but if I plug it in for a short period the batteries come back. Anyone recognize anything here? Thank you
Brutas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My first thought, check the battery terminals. When it has no power, use you meter on volts and go from each battery post to the terminal and see if you can find where you losing the voltage. That's the easiest to fix and most common problem for vehicles in storage.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
on some units if you have a salesman switch, battery disconnect, it controls a solenoid and it supplies voltage to a gang of multi-breakers some that automatically reset and some that you have to manually reset. You may have a multi-breaker in that system that is opening and then resetting when it cools some. Just a thought not knowing your system.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #4

Transfer solenoid is sticking.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

What is that ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #6

Take the battery terminals off, clean them and reinstall. Don't just look at them, even if they look OK, remove, clean & tighten.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Do you mean transfer switch? If so, I agree. The sticking is caused by unknowing owners switching power sources under heavy loads, which burns the contacts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #8

No power to AC

No power coming out of ems board to my front AC unit any ideas
Robbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #9

Where is the transfer solenoid on the Mountainaire?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #10

Your having a 12 volt issue. It has nothing to do with the auto transfer switch. That switchs between shore power and generator power, not battery power.

Plugging it in starts the battery charger. The charging of the house batteries may be burning thru a bad or dirty connection making it connect.

You say you plug in and all works. When you unplug it still works. How long does it work ?
Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #11

When I unplug from shore power the lights do not work. Sometimes they come on later. Last time we were out they came on about 10 minutes after unplugging. When we got back to the storage garage they were still working but when I went back the next day there was no power again. Batteries always show full charge throughout all this on the multimeter.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

When you are having 12 volt issues check the ground, if it looks good, check it again. The vast majority of 12v issues can be traced to a bad ground from the battery to the chassis, especially on older coaches. Usually this is a simple as following the negative battery cable to a place where it is bolted to the frame. Remove the cable, clean both sides of the connection to shiny metal and then start trouble shooting other issues if your problem isn't solved. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #13

Here's the latest. The batteries continue to power the lights and stairs for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes after unplugging from shore or turning off the generator. Voltage at the batteries is 12.5 v. At this point I checked the converter with the multimeter. registered only about 2 v coming out of the converter. Jumps up to 12.7 when plugged in. Sound like a bad converter? I have 2 IOTA's DLS-45 in parallel.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

Nothing comes out of the converters unless they are plugged in. They send out charging voltage to the batteries.

If your seeing 2 volts without being plugged in, that's a problem. The wires hooked to the converters go to the batteries. You should see battery voltage.

I think your going to have to find the battery disconnect switch and jump it.

Tags
electric