RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Strange electrical issue?

2004 Revolution DP
Onan 7500
Xantrex MSW inverter
Dedicated PSW inverter for Fridge wired to same 12v cables that feed MSW inverter
4 6 volt house batteries

I am currently on a trip and using 50A shore power.
My front slide operates fine. The rear slide just clicks. At first i thought the slide motor was bad but, during trouble shooting it found the following.

Voltage at both inverters was 13-14 volts.
The generator would not turn over.
Using the transfer switch made no difference.
When i start the coach engine. Let it run for just a few minutes and shut it down, all returns to normal.

After I let things sit awhile the slide clicks again and generator doesnt turn over.

Start engine, shut down and all is good again

All 110v is fine.

Your thoughts?
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
2004 Revolution DP
Onan 7500
Xantrex MSW inverter
Dedicated PSW inverter for Fridge wired to same 12v cables that feed MSW inverter
4 6 volt house batteries

I am currently on a trip and using 50A shore power.
My front slide operates fine. The rear slide just clicks. At first i thought the slide motor was bad but, during trouble shooting it found the following.

Voltage at both inverters was 13-14 volts.
The generator would not turn over.
Using the transfer switch made no difference.
When i start the coach engine. Let it run for just a few minutes and shut it down, all returns to normal.

After I let things sit awhile the slide clicks again and generator doesnt turn over.

Start engine, shut down and all is good again

All 110v is fine.

Your thoughts?
Do you have a house style fridge powered by an inverter? Just curious.

13.4 is normal for a charging inverter or alternator. Both the generator not starting and the slide not working sound like a low battery or some other reason the items are not getting correct power like a loose battery connection.
Starting the engine for a few minutes seems to point to a low battery except for the other slide still working fine which puts that theory in question.

If you wait until it happens again and take a pocket knife (a cheap one) and dig it into the connection between the terminal and the lug on the cable or just wiggle the connections to see if it changes anything or it is loose. Once the inverter charges it will shut off and monitor the batteries. Just to make myself clear you do mean inverter and not converter?

Please post results and maybe we can get to the answer.

Good Luck, Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #3

Yes i have a residential fridge.

Batteries are full. I only need to start engine then power off to fix problem.
Not on long enough to charge.

Im thinking a Battery Control Center issue.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

Try turning the key to on without starting the engine. Turn it off and see if the slide works. If it does I would take a look at the relays in the battery area. There should be one that is not staying closed. Check the voltage on both side when the system is working and when it isn’t. Might help pin point it. Post some pics of the area if you need help with what to look at.
rcflyer1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

You are spot on. Turning the key on/off cured the problem.
After the problem returned i removed the BCC cover and started to reseat the connections on the control board. As soon as I did the solenoid clicked and started to hum and all was good.

After i get home, I'll use some dielectric grease on the connections

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Per fleetwood you should run motor while operating slides.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
You are spot on. Turning the key on/off cured the problem.
After the problem returned i removed the BCC cover and started to reseat the connections on the control board. As soon as I did the solenoid clicked and started to hum and all was good.

After i get home, I'll use some dielectric grease on the connections

Thanks for your help.

Check the voltage on the 2 small connectors of the solenoid. If there is voltage and the solenoid is not “clicked” on tells you it might be the solenoid. If there is no voltage it’s something prior to the solenoid.
rcflyer1201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical