Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Strangest Thing You Have Seen Done to a Motorhome

What is the strangest thing you’ve seen intentionally done to a motorhome? Today I was at the body shop getting a window chip repaired. In the next bay there was a Tiffin Allegro Bus that the new owner was having a repair done to the side of the bedroom slide because the prior owner had put a doggie door in the side of the bedroom slide complete with brackets to hold up a ramp so the dog could get up to the slide. This contraption was visible in the slide was out but not when the slide was in. The repair appears to be fairly straightforward, but that’s a crazy thing to do to an expensive motorhome.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
but that’s a crazy thing to do to an expensive motorhome.
People by bunkhouse models to bring their kids/grandkids along. Now that's crazy!!

LOL

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #3

A few years ago I saw a Class A where the owner had taken a storage bay and installed a screen (that was only visible with the bay door open) with a small doggie door, the idea being that the pooch could either sit in the bay (which did have a fan in it by the way) behind the screen, or with a small screen door open could run down a small ramp into a wire pen. When traveling they would just close the bay door.

The really interesting part was that the bay had an opening from the storage bay to the *inside* of the coach, with small ramp, which was accessible either when parked or when in motion. Their dog was medium-sized (I forget the breed...some kind of a mutt I think).

The dog seemed to love it...it was in and out all day long, which is what got me interested enough to ask the owner to show me the setup.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All white 40' motorhomes.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #5

I recently sold my Class C. The buyer bought it because there was a little access door from the rear bedroom into an outside accessible, full width cubby. He said he intended to put the cat’s litter box in the that cubby so the cat can traverse between inside and that cubby unimpeded. Smart.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
All white 40' motorhomes.
Those may be due to faded graphics. I have seen some where the old decals were just removed because the decals were old and faded.

Of course then there the prior rental units where the rental company removes their graphics prior to resell.
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a Allegro traded in that had two twenty penny nails drove in the bedroom walls to hang coats on.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #8

I have the chain half of door lock chain on door of biggest pass through bay. I was wondering if someone had slept in there in MHs history. Maybe it just to fasten or hang some item, who knows.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I was at an RV park in T or C, NM and saw a motorhome with a tow bar welded to the front.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #10

- Back when I was an RV tech (1994-95) we cut a giant door into the side of a brand new Monaco Windsor and added a hydraulic lift for wheelchair access. It came out looking and working very nice but it was scary when we were doing it.

- I've seen a class A M500 chassis Travco converted to 4wheel drive.

- I've seen a class A Travco that had a homemade slide cut into the side. Complete with garage door tracks for the mechanism. It rolled in and out by hand and was kept in place with hardware store latches.

- Seen an older gas class A that had a door added to the rear. The owner attached a ramp to ride his motorcycle up and in. Must have had twin bed setup. Getting bike back down was the challenging part.

- I've seen plenty of wild paint jobs, including several flame jobs.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

We all wonder what to do with the thousand-pound tube TV's mounted above the windshield. Saw one RV where the dude took it out and put a fake fireplace in there. Just sorta crammed it in. I understand how he felt, but felt a real fireplace, or just a fire might have been a better move.

ETA: my rig has an old 286 computer crammed into the dash. Which was evidently intentional.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner

....trying to get that last spot at the CG.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post

....trying to get that last spot at the CG.
I had forgotten about that bit... HA HA ... Classic! Thanks!
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I was at an RV park in T or C, NM and saw a motorhome with a tow bar welded to the front.

Was it a tow bar or a set up for a trailer hitch? Using a front hitch would make launching a boat much easier.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motor