Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2022, 06:18 AM   #1

Stress Crack in Windshield

Not sure how but now have a 1 foot stress crack in the lower portion of my windshield. Assume that means full replacement.

Should I report it to my insurance (Safeco) first or call around to glass shops first?

Anyone know of good glass shops in Winchester VA area or other northern VA areas?

What is a ballpark total cost for replacements?

Appreciate any insight you can provide. Happy travels!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2022, 06:33 AM   #2

First check with your insurance carrier and see if they will cover it. In FL they will. Do a Google search, there are 2 I believe nation wide RV windshield glass repair business's with local repair shops. I've had mine replaced by one of them.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The replacement cost for a single piece windshield my '18 Entegra Anthem in June of '18 was more than $4K.

A call to your insurance company is probably a good first step. Many policies have a zero deductible for windshield replacement.

The insurance company may have recommended installers in your area. Although this is likely your first windshield replacement, you insurance company has dealt with many and is likely quite familiar with glass installers near you. Also, it's likely safe to operate with that crack for some time so that if you find it a better choice to drive some distance to an installer with a good reputation, it's probably safe to do so.

You might want to explore the cause of your stress crack. It would be unfortunate to replace the cracked windshield only to crack another because the root cause of the stress fracture hasn't been addressed. Often, flexing the frame during leveling, particularly a diagonal corner out of level, can result in a stress crack.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #4

With Geico California RV windshield $50 deductible is a separate option - additional $150/every 6 months, otherwise the deductible is $500. Ugh.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:07 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My windshield was also a bit over $4K that the insurance covered minus $100 deductible.
And another $800 for the old cracked gasket & gutter out of pocket as they consider those like tires, a wear/age item.

My guess would also be improper leveling if there are no obvious stone chips. For coaches with only one front jack, that has to be lowered first to act as a pivot point to keep the frame straight.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:22 AM   #6

Just had both front windshields replaced with the seal. I have a 2500 deductible. The seal was my responsibility at 500. I believed three total bill was 5500.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #7

Out of all 50 states, only Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina waive the car insurance deductible for windshield repair or replacement. Other states will cover the cost, minus the deductible if you have compressive coverage, others will require you have a glass replacement rider in the policy.

When I had a windshield replaced, it was around $2000 which included the gasket. I contacted a rather small auto/truck glass shop. They came out to my home and obtained all of the information and then ordered the glass from Dunkin RV Glass systems.

Should you contact your insurance? I would. What do you have to loose? They can tell you if it is covered, how much the cost to you will be, and possibility recommend a shop.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #8

Contact these guys

https://rvglassexperts.com/

They have places through the US and know who does RV glass in your area.

We have used the Oregon location several time for glass work.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #9

Result

Thanks for everyone's advice.

New windshield installed yesterday and all is well so far. Insurance carrier works glass replacement through Safelite Solutions out of Ohio. The Safelite folks were very professional, found a repair place near me and the best part, zero deductible on my policy.

Now we'll see what my insurance rates are next year.

Happy travels!
Old 06-14-2022, 10:00 PM   #10
NXR

Stress Crack in Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver
You might want to explore the cause of your stress crack. It would be unfortunate to replace the cracked windshield only to crack another because the root cause of the stress fracture hasn't been addressed. Often, flexing the frame during leveling, particularly a diagonal corner out of level, can result in a stress crack.

Good point. Some 2021 Forest River Georgetowns were having stress cracks form at the bottom center. The problem was pressure applied from an improperly cut dashboard. The OP has a 2021 Coachmen, also a Forest River brand.

Ray
Old 06-15-2022, 07:30 AM   #11

I've had two replacements in 2 years. One cracked while parked in an RV park. It had snowed in the night. We heard a bang in the morning and saw two stress cracks starting at the lower right corner. 18 months later, the lower right corner of the windshield popped out due to a twisting turn. Was just going to have it reset when they found a crack. Just paid the renewal premium and no increase from either incident.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #12

We have 3 point leveling and I might have caused our windshield to crack by not lowering the single front jack first. Fortunately Kentucky requires glass comprehensive with vehicle insurance so no cost to me to replace the driver side windshield. However, the insurance rep. was familiar with improper leveling, and said they would not replace the windshield a second time without evidence of a rock strike or equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
......My guess would also be improper leveling if there are no obvious stone chips. For coaches with only one front jack, that has to be lowered first to act as a pivot point to keep the frame straight.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #13

We just had our windshield replaced do to a crack. Our insurance, GMAC, covered it 100%. They replaced it with an OEM form the company that actually provides THOR their windows. Cost would have been 3.5k. The windshield is warrantied for one year form the supplier and our policy has no deductible for the windshield.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, wind, windshield