RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 AM   #1

Stuck and in trouble

Ok so this is urgent we have a 1989 pace arrow just spent our savings on it we took it on a short trip from portland to hood river and now it is stuck in a rite aid parking lot and could be towed away at any time . so let me start from when we went to look at it to buy it it wouldnt start tried to jump it nothing put our battery from our tahoe in it and it fired right up . so we drive it for a day and someplace in portland get stuck wont start again this time i am able to jump it. Again it happens i go and buy a new battery still wouldnt fire up ended up starting the generator and then it fired . again this happens so i chamge the starting solenoid it started but i realize next day i chamged the solenoid for the generator blond moment so we drove it up here thinkinv if nothing else we could use the generator or get a jump if we needed to get it started well nither jas worked i changed the correct solenoid now and mo change thing is through out this all we have had random starts like it aint the battery i dont believe. We put everything we had into this home and we cant afford to loose it if u have any ideas please let me know any follow up questions ill try to answer if i can thank u
Rickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 02:55 AM   #2

Gas engine?
Try taking the start electrical cable ends off the posts and clean the ends with either a wire brush or sandpaper.
Does the engine turn over but not start?
I need more info as to just what the starting procedure does but not start.
Do the other electrical components that work off the start battery work? Like lights, gauges, etc.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 AM   #3

Gad engine yes turn key and nothing happens when i turn the ley off it clicks once i am getting power to all the lights and stereo
Old 09-26-2020, 03:00 AM   #4

Gages all work as well
Old 09-26-2020, 03:39 AM   #5

Call a tow truck and take it to an auto repair shop.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:53 AM   #6

Do the headlights go dim when you try to start?
What makes the "click"?
What brand engine??
Does the engine turn over but not start?
Engine getting fuel?

Try removing and reinstalling the hookup on the back of the ignition switch.
If you can, try using a little "percussion persuasion" (whack the damn starter housing with a hammer) on the starter while someone is trying to start the engine by turning the ignition key.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Assuming you don't have a ERS (emergency road service) to pay for towing? If not, suggest you get one. No motorhome owner should be without one, imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:44 AM   #8

stuck

Make sure battery cables are clean at all connections. Ping starter with a hammer while somebody holds the key in start position. May or may not work but does not cost anything. Be safe and block wheels.
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #9

Remove and clean all your cable connections from the battery to the starter. Makes sure the ground strap from the frame to engine is cleaned as well,Does the starter click when the key is turned to the start position. Did you replace the solenoid on the starter. You can remove the starter and get it tested
Old 09-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Assuming you don't have a ERS (emergency road service) to pay for towing? If not, suggest you get one. No motorhome owner should be without one, imho.
Agree 100% with this one. Itís been a couple years so Iím doing from memory but check the service when you sign up, I think most have a ďlockoutĒ for a few days after you purchase to avoid you getting in trouble, buying service and immediately using. I could be wrong but my fuzzy memory seems to think there was a provision for that when I bought ours.
Blastvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Change the starter.

Had this problem with my Suburban, same symptoms.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
You're asking for mechanical advice on a forum. None of the folks who are giving you advice have had eyes or hands on. No offense, but you're not asking questions that demonstrate you have a skill set to make a logical diagnosis or effect a repair.

So no matter how well-intentioned their advice, it can't possibly be accurate, and if you start parts changing based on the advice you receive from a discussion list, you'll certainly be unnecessarily be spending money that would be far better spent on the services of an experienced mechanic. Penny-wise, pound foolish.
The advice to enlist in a roadside assist program is excellent advice.

Sorry for your problems. Yes, buying a used coach can be costly. But it's a mechanical piece of equipment. It WILL break, it costs money to repair. That's a given you must be prepared for.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #13

If it's a gas RV find videos for your brand trucks that year how troubleshoot start and alternator charge issues. After cleaning battery cables. I would disconnect clean starter wires and sand the nut face as well. GM used starter with two cables as bond for rest of chassis power around that year. Many times I had to sandpaper those cables even though they looked fine when I or a friend changed a starter . One or two good starts and then nothing. A good set of jumper cables on batt neg to best ground you find on engine can help test bad engine ground.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Too late now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote