Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2022, 05:16 PM   #1

Stuck Coach

I sold our coach yesterday. He drove to Green Bay (90 miles) and pulled into a festival grounds where there were power pedestals. The area is intended for tents and autos. There had been rain so the ground was soft and he just drove in and the coach settled in the soft sod area. Once the drive wheels slipped he was done. I drove over there today to clarify some problems he was having with the lights and AC units. He just didn't remember what I had shown him the day before. He says the city will come over tomorrow with a payloader and pull him backwards from the rear hitch which is rated for 15,000#. I suggested he get a professional tow truck company that knows what they are doing. He's thinking the payloader will work. My concern is How much pull can the rear hitch/frame withstand before something bad happens??? Probably have to tug it 20-30'. Has anyone been in this fix and how did it go. I have my money, but hate to see him damage his new full time home.

I should add that when I was there, I check the power pedestals and they are all dead. He hasn't had a good first day.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
First rule of being in jail, get out of jail. Sorry, old golfing term we used but holds true here, don't make it worse. Bite the bullet and pay the professional. No way in hell I would pull my coach out from the back. The coach has to weigh close to 40,000 pounds.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:35 PM   #3

Pull straight back from the hitch the same direction you came in from! The hitch and chassis will handle it. Doesn’t sound like it got buried, I’m sure even a HD pick up could pull it out!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At Gillette, WY one year I saw probably 30 or more RV's all pulled out from the rear. Tractors and 4 wheel drive vehicles and not one tow truck. I drove out nice and slow and didn't get stuck. When I left they were still pulling RV's out.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #5

I'm thinking that if a gradual pull up to 15-20,000# would roll it back onto firm ground, but I would rather have a professional do it than a city employee with a payloader. The hitch would certainly take that much pull, but a pro would know what to do.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #6

I used to be involved with towing and recovery, long time ago. We had 30 and 60,000lb bed winches for a reason, heavy stuff in mud takes a lot to pull. In the tougher jobs we would send multiple units, some used for anchors. No way hooking up to a 15,000lb hitch is a good idea in soft ground.

Sounds like an expensive lesson for the new owner. It will likely be a lot more expensive if yanking by the hitch. Pay the pros. It will hurt but if(when) the hitch gets torn loose a whole bunch of expensive to fix stuff will have to be repaired along with still having to pay the pros to yank it out.

Is it possible to use some blocking under the leveling jacks to raise up the tires and put some sort of wood (or?) ramping in the hole?
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
I used to be involved with towing and recovery, long time ago. We had 30 and 60,000lb bed winches for a reason, heavy stuff in mud takes a lot to pull. In the tougher jobs we would send multiple units, some used for anchors. No way hooking up to a 15,000lb hitch is a good idea in soft ground.

Sounds like an expensive lesson for the new owner. It will likely be a lot more expensive if yanking by the hitch. Pay the pros. It will hurt but if(when) the hitch gets torn loose a whole bunch of expensive to fix stuff will have to be repaired along with still having to pay the pros to yank it out.

Is it possible to use some blocking under the leveling jacks to raise up the tires and put some sort of wood (or?) ramping in the hole?
He ran the jacks down without blocking and they just extended into the ground. They all retracted except one in the back that he will have to dig out to break the suction. He'll have a real education in his first 24 hours of ownership.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
His best bet is probably pulling it from the hitch. What more secure location can they drag it from?? There is nothing up front that has any structure. If you reach under the front too far, you'll tear up the generator and fiberglass.

When these coaches settle in the mud, they're almost on the ground. No way can you get under them to do anything without ripping apart fiberglass. There is plenty of framework around the hitch. I would chain it around any frame they can reach and then bring the chains up under the hitch. As they pull, it will also lift.

Make sure the tag is dumped and the pressure is on the drive axle.

A few years ago, Mr T, a member on here, got is 45' Country Coach caught in the mud in a long driveway. A professional came out and drug it out by strapping through a front tire. That did several thousand dollars' worth of front-end damage.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I got stuck once...following the CG's directions on how to exit the park...got out by a tow truck hooking on to my rear hitch. He pulled easily and told me to put the Allison in R, but just let it idle, not to accelerate. Rolled right out.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:04 PM   #10

Just heard from him. When I told him he should buy a roadside assistance plan for the future, he said he already had Coachnet from his previous MH that he just sold. He going to forgo the payloader and call for a pro. Maybe all will end well.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
He ran the jacks down without blocking and they just extended into the ground. They all retracted except one in the back that he will have to dig out to break the suction. He'll have a real education in his first 24 hours of ownership.
Without being there to see it I'm thinking a chain wrapped around each frame with likely two winch lines.

Likely gonna be a substantial landscaping bill to go with it. Ugh!
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Just heard from him. When I told him he should buy a roadside assistance plan for the future, he said he already had Coachnet from his previous MH that he just sold. He going to forgo the payloader and call for a pro. Maybe all will end well.
Good luck with that.... coachnet sent complete bozo's to me when I was broken down. One guy actually wanted to LIFT the coach by putting the boom under the hitch and towing it 40 miles backwards like that.... I kicked him out.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Good luck with that.... coachnet sent complete bozo's to me when I was broken down. One guy actually wanted to LIFT the coach by putting the boom under the hitch and towing it 40 miles backwards like that.... I kicked him out.
I had just the opposite experience. When I needed help, they located the proper truck for the task and sent him when he was done with the call he was on. He knew exactly what to do. I think coachnet and other services are just a locating service for area towing companies and unless they get bad feedback regarding a contractor, they don't know to remove them from their call list. Just guessing on that.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I got my previous coach stuck in a field like that. Awful feeling.

A friend pulled me out easily with his jeep hooked to my hitch. That Coach was 26k lbs. I did not think it possible.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote