Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

God bless. Good to hear that you and your family is ok.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #16

Jeff, That's a great story with a bad situation which turned into good. It's bad enough to be stuck in traffic, but to be in a motor home and helping others is out standing.

There are nice people out there and you are one of them.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Jeff, That's a great story with a bad situation which turned into good. It's bad enough to be stuck in traffic, but to be in a motor home and helping others is out standing.

There are nice people out there and you are one of them.
XX2
Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Compassion for other people is the mark of a true hero. Thank you Jeff.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #19

Good show. I suspect all those you helped were greatfull. It feels good to be able to help others.

This happened to us a few years ago and I was stranded about 22hrs in a "Canadian" blizzard with 6ft + snow drifts in whiteout conditions with freezing temps. The two of us were on our way to link up with I-75 south and this storm caught us a bit off guard, however I travel with full tanks and fortunately I had topped up with propane and diesel about 30 Miles before and had full water and empty grey and black tanks and a good supply of food. Had a 40'DP at the time.

There were hundreds of cars and trucks stranded and we were all in the same circumstance. The police and other rescue people were evacuating people with snow vehicles as best as they could but one person decided to walk to safety. He was found later, dead of exposure. Most of the stranded people were accustomed with winter driving and a foot or two of snow usually dosen't slow them down much, but the high winds made visability impossible to move as the snow built up and completly covered many vehicles.

Our RV had a variety of stranded motorists in and out. Never took names or a count of how many cups of coffee, tea, soup, hot oatmeal and other snacks we served or how many ladies and children used the bathroom. (Men were directed to the lee side of a semi behind us). We were warm and with heated tanks and water bay we were not concerned with freeze up. Our cell phones got a good workout also as people called loved ones to report in and for a time we hosted the police who coordinated some activities from our RV. Several cruisers were stranded also and some ran out of fuel as did many other vehicles in the attempt to keep warm.

I have a lot of experience with winter travel and survival, and all I can say, I am glad we were prepared and could help people.

Another testimonial re travelling with full fuel and water and other provisions just in case of some unplanned event.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #20

There are plenty of good people out there, the trouble is the media and sensational journalism would rather create the news, than report it.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know about your faith but I like to say " share the gospel and if you have to, use words". Well done and God bless you.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
And I am a better person for it - today.
Jeff
Boy howdy! Very nice. It would be a pleasure to know you.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bet your ladies room was the most popular place around!
Thank you for your kindness.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisflyer View Post
I don't know about your faith but I like to say " share the gospel and if you have to, use words". Well done and God bless you.
Astute quote memphisflyer.... Mind if I share it ?

The wife is from Cordova and I know your area well !

To the OP, MANY would have been afraid, many would have been closed off, but you and yours stood out from the rest !

Well done !
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Very positive and refreshing story and comments. It is nice to see the no one here is
trying to " blame" or " hold someone responsible" for what happened and did thier best to get through it & help others.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #26

Update!
"paying it forward" is alive and well... We are still at the truck stop. Subway and McDonald's out of food. Local Ladies from the area cooked several crockpots of chili and cornbread and brownies. Came around about 6pm knocking on doors inviting everyone in the lot, to come inside for a free hot meal. It is truly unbelievable the charity of total strangers. Paying it forward is the only way to live! If you don't know what it is, look it up. And change your thinking. The Lord puts you in people's lives and people in your life for a reason. This chapter is far from over, but has really been heart warming. Will see what the morning brings and make a decision to continue or try to go back home. Stay safe... And pay it forward, Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Bless you for being one of the good guys.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Very cool. I hope everyone with an RV thinks about this next time the situation they are surrounded with gets bad. Makes me think about all the petty problemd I read about on the forums. My hats off to you and your family.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote