Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 05:10 AM   #1

Stupid , Install of SS motion controls and bell crank

Been reading all the reviews and thought ,oh well might as well try these. I did front motion controls first, went on real easy. Since I was under front I went ahead and installed the. Bell crank. My old one came off easy, the big nut was not as tight as some have experienced, just a good pull with a normal 3/4 drive ratchet and the nut was loose. I then used a regular ball joint separator, a couple wacks with a 1 pound hammer and it was loose , the three bolts that hold the OEM bell crank were not too bad , had new one on in 20 or so minutes. I did notice that my ole bell crank was not seized or very hard to turn so I was suspect if I would see much improvement . Now for the rest motion controls, I had a really stupid moment, I was cutting the air line around 3 inches from the air spring and was using a carbide tipped box cutter, my ole pipe cutter (ratchet type) had a couple bad places and you need a good clean cut ,anyway, laying under there, I actually told.my self to watch out because If I was not careful, I would cut my self , well I was not careful enough because I gashed my right arm( I am a lefty) right where all the little veins are, thought I had cut some main artery the way it started bleeding, scrambled out from under there , got blood everywhere, grabbed a couple clean shop rags and jumped in truck,drove to urgent care, bleeding had slowed a lot , had to sit there and fill out 8 or so pages of new patient crap, got 5 stitches, veins were all ok although one was nicked but doc said it was fine. Went back home crawled under there and finished the job. The stupid part is that I knew the way that cut was setting up that I had a chance to cut myself,but with my impatience I went ahead. I should have either gone and bought a new tubing cutter, they are cheap or used a pair of plyers to hold the tube which would have more than likely kept my right arm out of the way but I was under there and didn't want to crawl out . Oh , took coach for a trial run, lots of improvement as far as entering un even drives, not much improvement as far as steering goes but mine drove pretty well anyway but still a good idea to replace that OEM bell crank from what all I have read , I will know more as far as improvement when I hit interstate later.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

Glad the injury was fairly minor. I know first hand that once you under the coach it is hard to want to crawl back out even if you know that is the best way to fix the problem

Please let us know how the MH handles and steers. I am still looking to do this to mine. Also what products did you use and what MH do you have? Ill be watching this one.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

I have a 2002 fleetwood revolution , the motion controls are super steer brand as is the bell crank. I did drive it after I stall , definitely better when turning into a drive or entrance that has a hump or swell or , usually motorhome will wobble left to right several times when I enter or exit my drive bit now it just does one wobble and stabilizes real quick. I will need to take on interstate for a real test.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

I have a 2002 fleetwood revolution , the motion controls are super steer brand as is the bell crank. I did drive it after I stall , definitely better when turning into a drive or entrance that has a hump or swell or , usually motorhome will wobble left to right several times when I enter or exit my drive bit now it just does one wobble and stabilizes real quick. I will need to take on interstate for a real test.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing many years ago. I was laying on my side, trimming a rear dual mud flap and knew I was trimming in an awkward position, but did it anyway. Sure enough, I sliced my wrist. I could look in and see parts moving.

The worse part, when I arrived at the ER, I realized I looked like I had been working in the fields all day, covered in dirt.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone who has spent a lot of time doing mechanical work has done something similar. I started wearing cloth gloves then a friend re-introduced me to leather.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

Yeah, I had just done both front motion controls and the bell crank, even though I had recently cleaned under the coach I was purty dirty in the Urgent care. A dang wrist cut can really poor blood ,I got bac and looked atside of coach where I had crawled out from under, and there was blood spattered all on the side not to mention a few puddles underneath so I was nasty.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #8

I'd say about 95% of my injuries working on things were preceded by me thinking: "I shouldn't be doing it this way." Over the years I've gotten better at listening to this little voice. For some strange reason, hand holding items I was drilling in a drill press, was the hardest habit to break.

My previous rig was on a Chevy P chassis and I replaced my worn bell cranks with SuperSteer bell cranks. In my case the driver's side bell crank was shot at 50K Passenger side wasn't bad but I replaced it anyway. Took out some of the slop in the steering.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install