Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 04:12 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions

I ordered the test harness today; I am going to go through the troubleshooting guide just to make sure.

I only want to fix this once.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Armed with a spare battery and the test harness I was determined to figure out the problem with the step today.

The step would not budge. The troubleshooting guide says that if the step harness is disconnected from the chassis harness and connected to a 12V battery, the step should work. If it does not work, the control module or step motor is faulty.

I managed to get my hand on the motor plug and pulled it off. My meter showed 12V output from the control module.

I plugged the harness back to the motor and the step came out!

Further investigation showed that the step motor is a one size fits all China replacement. The harness plug fits into the motor but does not lock into the motors connector. Until the step was out, I couldn't see that the problem with the plug was that the connector on the motor is missing the locking tab.

I hope that motor does not fail as long as I own the coach. That plug is never coming out again.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:32 PM   #17

Well, persistence pays off!! ...and the need for a step.
But good on you and now you have a step motor test harness!
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:12 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Step worked fine and then all of a sudden, nada.

I went to the storage facility, step worked, drove 3 miles home, step didn't work.

This is beyond getting old. I am not a limber young man anymore.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Step worked fine and then all of a sudden, nada.

I went to the storage facility, step worked, drove 3 miles home, step didn't work.

This is beyond getting old. I am not a limber young man anymore.
Did you try hitting the end of the motor with a hammer? As previously stated, those DC step motors develop dead spots and a mechanical thrashing can jar any corrosion and cause the motor to operate.

In the past - after troubleshooting for weeks, I read about the hammer - gave my motor a tap and lo and behold it operated. I removed the motor, disassembled and cleaned the commutator by putting the armature in a drill press and using some wet/dry fine emery cloth to polish the copper commutator poles. After a good clean up and reinstall, it worked great as I waited for a replacement motor to show up - I now carry the old one as a spare.

Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:31 PM   #20

Did you move the magnet? 2 screws to take it off, hold it near the switch and see if the steps close. Move it away and see if they open. Do that a few times and see if they work each time.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:51 PM   #21

I had the same problem, replaced the motor and all is well
dblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:40 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Tried moving the magnet, no bueno.

Next time I have it in the driveway, I guess I will pull the motor and order a new one.