Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #15

x2 for the Toyo's
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #16

Alpha 99....and others......the short answer is the information I received about Michelin taking 255 80R 22.5 out of production CAME FROM MICHELIN...not a dealership....from a couple calls I made to both the factory and to corporate. Plus, no Michelin dealers could find 6 manufactured recently....6 could be found around the country, but most were produced in '12 or earlier. I spent 2 weeks trying to figure our what to do.....I am glad you were able to get tires, I was satisfied once both factory and corporate told me they were taken out of production that they were not available. Strange !!!
normpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Why would Michelin stop production of what seems like a very common size tire? Is there an equivalent replacement from them? I need to replace my 07's in the near future.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Old 08-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
x3 on the toyo's ! put M154's on last october right before our trip to florida. Also changed out 4 out of 6 rims to accu ride's. 265/75/R22.5. Very nice riding tire

edit: Ran into the same issue with michelin last year. I contacted a few tire places near us and found out the michelins were on 6 month back order, this was sept 2014
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
Why would Michelin stop production of what seems like a very common size tire? Is there an equivalent replacement from them? I need to replace my 07's in the near future.

Craig and Joan

I'm guessing that they switch between tire models and sizes on each production line, rather than continuously producing each model and size of tires simultaneously on separate lines. Temporary shortages like this happen with every tire company. I wanted Yokohamas, but none were available at the time. Same with Toyo.

265/75 is nearly identical in size and load rating, but Michelin doesn't make any of them. The next closest thing is 275/70, which Michelin does make, but only in higher load ranges. I bought the 275/70R22.5 XZA2 Energy, and am happy with them after 2000 miles of driving.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 08-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post

Craig and Joan

They haven't stopped production, they do slow production down at this time of the year so warehouses aren't stuck with excess inventory, and have to eventually sell 'old' tires. My Michelin XRV 255/80/22.5 were manufactured the third week of June, 2015. DOT 2515, as pictured above.

If you need these, contact www.simpletire.com. Inventory changes DAILY!

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tire companies don't produce all tires all the time. The produce a bunch going by previous sales and predictions of needs. Some lines/sizes they do produce all the time but not the RV ones as they can produce more than needed in a short time.
Ran into that when I upsized the fronts on our Dutch Star. Having the same "problem" with our front and tag as they take a 365/70 and they're out of stock right now. Supposed to be in production right now though, but with the wife having cancer just don't want to spend the $$ right now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
They haven't stopped production, they do slow production down at this time of the year so warehouses aren't stuck with excess inventory, and have to eventually sell 'old' tires. My Michelin XRV 255/80/22.5 were manufactured the third week of June, 2015. DOT 2515, as pictured above.

If you need these, contact www.simpletire.com. Inventory changes DAILY!

Cheers!

Ok. That makes more sense!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #23
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Hi Mel,

I don't know who told you Michelin had 'discontinued' 255/80R/22.5 tires, but they are WRONG.

Two weeks ago I ordered 6 Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5 tires and they were installed last week. I love 'em. They were manufactured late June, 2015, less than a month old.

Amazing the amount of wrong information on the Internet.

Been riding Michelin's on at least 20 different vehicles the past 40 years. Never a blowout, not even a flat tire, just a great ride.

Next time check here:

Cheap Tires Online | Find the Best Deals on Tires | SimpleTire.com
No one told me Michelin had discontinued that tire size. I said that Michelin seems to be the only manufacturer making that size. The sidewalks are so soft (thus the nice ride) that they tend to show stress tacks earlier than other tires.

Do a Google search on "Michelin RV tire blowouts" and you will be shocked at the disasters people have experienced. Not saying Michelin is a bad tire maker (have them on my car), but just question their RV tire quality.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
No one told me Michelin had discontinued that tire size. I said that Michelin seems to be the only manufacturer making that size. The sidewalks are so soft (thus the nice ride) that they tend to show stress tacks earlier than other tires.

Not true in my case. Yes, my OUTSIDE tires (all tires three months from being five years old), had cracks. But when we removed them to replace with new Michelin XRV tires, the inside rears look like new - not a single crack.

So, it is apparent the cracking was due to 1. Sun Exposure and/or 2. Application of petroleum or silicon based tire treatments, which I have since learned is a no-no. In fact, Michelin warns against using any of these in their literature (now I know better). On these tires I will use only soap and water or possibly Aerospace 303, which is water based, and Michelin states water based treatments are ok.

Regardless, they backed them up with their warranty and I don't know any other manufacturer who would do that in a case like this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote