RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNut711 View Post
I checked and all of my Michelin XZE tires had 100 psi in them, so I reduced the amount in the front tires to 90 psi in hopes that getting more 'rubber on the road' will reduce the agressive 'hunting' that the front did on it's initial run.
Again, Thanks Mucho for all the help.
GunNut711 (McCord)
Please tell us you are not lowering the psi to 90 without weighing your coach. If it still "Hunts" at 90, are you going to try it @ 80 psi? If so, then you are a good example why there should be a required certification for correct operation of a motorhome or at least a Sticky here to help the uninformed new owner. If you haven't done it, Go weigh the darn thing and get it right.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #16

O.K. Crasher & Mr. T, thanks for your help.
I just know there isn't a weigh station in this little 'one horse' town, but I'll find one and weight it.
We don't carry a lot of weight in it over what is the normal weight.
Thanks,
GunNut711 (McCord)
GunNut711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNut711 View Post
O.K. Crasher & Mr. T, thanks for your help.
I just know there isn't a weigh station in this little 'one horse' town, but I'll find one and weight it.
We don't carry a lot of weight in it over what is the normal weight.
Thanks,
GunNut711 (McCord)
Until you get a valid weight, you would be wise to keep the tire pressures at the psi listed on the placard near the driver's seat. In all likelihood, it is higher than you will need, but it's a safe pressure . Once you have the weight you can set the pressures to the correct level using the tire manufacturers load inflation table. I would follow that with an alignment to assure you that the new tires will wear evenly and the coach will handle well. Good Luck
Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Please tell us you are not lowering the psi to 90 without weighing your coach. If it still "Hunts" at 90, are you going to try it @ 80 psi? If so, then you are a good example why there should be a required certification for correct operation of a motorhome or at least a Sticky here to help the uninformed new owner. If you haven't done it, Go weigh the darn thing and get it right.
You described the exact reason for the placement of the Federal Tire Placard in every vehicle. Most people run less in search of a smoother ride ,but Goodyear says this:
IMPORTANT: It's a common practice for RV owners to lower tire pressure in their search for a smoother ride. This is not only dangerous, it's relatively ineffective, as the difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operating conditions are compromised. Tire inflation pressure should always meet at least the minimum guidelines for vehicle weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You described the exact reason for the placement of the Federal Tire Placard in every vehicle.
From your past posts, it's obvious that you do not deviate from the psi values on the placard. That's fine for you or anyone else that feels the same. If I had stuck with the pressures on the placard of my coach, the front would have been on the verge of being under inflated, with the drive and tag 20-30# over inflated. By using Michelins load inflation table, I am now safe on the steer and 5 psi above what they recommend for the load on the drive and tag. Approaching 50,000 miles, all tires have even wear and they all run at a safe temp and pressure. Two more years at 70,000 miles I will replace them and continue with the same inflation plan that the tire manufacturer recommends. In most cases, the placard pressures are fine for those who do not want to take the time and effort to follow the load inflation tables. I've followed the tables on every vehicle I have owned since I discovered them. I've never had a tire failure due to incorrect inflation. Travel safe.

Tags
allegro, tiffin, tires