Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

Suggestions for Rear View Camera

Hi - we are fairly new to the MH set and I think that a rear view camera would be a wonderful thing for safety and to help eliminate blind spots. We recently purchased a 97 Dutch Star - it has a rear view camera that gives a view of the towed vehicle, but not much else. Has anyone had success in adding rear view camera(s) so that we can see what's going on around and behind us?Thanks
gands070386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

there are several types of rear view cameras on the market- becareful on the connections for power and output- these can get loose and unit not work well, some unit require drilling holes for routing the wires( this is why I returned th one I had- did not want to put holes in my Jeep ), be careful which one you buy and how it is wired.
Camper Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The camera is best used to just see the towed vehicle and immediately behind RV. Learn to adjust and use side mirrors. Most large vehicles don't have long range rear cameras, you need to keep eyes ahead, not what's behind. See this video to learn how to adjust mirrors.

RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Community Moderator

i bought my rv not long ago. it had a backup camera but po told me it didn't work. after done with mechanical things, tires, etc, in last two weekends i dug in and made it work. so you can consider what i am telling you is a first hand experience.

first things first - what are needed:
there are two parts of it: head unit which is mounted to your front panel; and a camera, which is to be mounted on your back wall facing toad. There is an rca cable sending video from camera to head unit, and power sources to camera as well as to head unit. In most configs, it is required that a signal line telling camera to start sending image be in place (only vehicle is in reverse gear).

second: what are good -
my head unit from po was a good one, alpine iva-w505. it has 7" lcd with radio, dvd player and gps. it works great now with sharp image but i wouldn't recommend it because it is not user friendly on menu, and each time when power is disconnected you will need to go through a routine to set it right; otherwise you will only hear audio but no video. a simpler and good one seems to be pioneer in the market now but you will still need to bypass the video restriction by installing a relay (the default is when driving it only allows audio maybe by law. i bypassed it so that even I am driving the dvd can still play - safety harzard, be careful .
the camera is a little tricky too. there are two types of lens in market, ccd and cmos. ccd is much sharper and richer in color, and cost more. if a camera box does not label ccd it's surely a cmos. mine is kenwood ccd-2000, which has a wide viewing angle of 130 degrees (i can see wide and far away, but this model has been discontinued). you may check online/ebay what other new models are out there. recommendations: ccd, wide angle at least 100, with night vision.

installations:
if you are a diy type person with experience in electronic or computer hardware, installation should be in no time, knowing you have an older backup camera system in place - that said the cable and power sources are already ready. otherwise, car stereo stores typically charge $70-100 for the installation, not bad.

hope this helps, good luck!!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Just one other option. I don't know the name of the manufacturer, but there are rear cameras that allow you to pan up and down...so you can either see what's closest to your rear bumper (close up of just your towed) or focus further back (will I really be able to fit into that parking spot?). The panning was done right on the screen (I think).

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
COSTCO has a very nice rear view camera system on their web site. Its top quality and exspandable. All cables will run outside, unless yours has thru access, the MH and down the frame rails so be prepared to get down and dirty. It took me about 3 hours to install. The actual calera setup is made by Rearview Camera systems
Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com
Its cheaper to purchase thru COSTCO
Good luck and have fun
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Do a search for threads on this site and you will find several different ideas. In the Members Gallery of pictures under my name you can check out the dual camera system I installed. I bought the system thru Rear View Camera Systems on-line. It is best to call them and make sure you are getting the complete dual camera system with 2 long cables (66Ft. ea.). The installation is not alot of fun, but quite an improvement over my old single toad-looking B&W system. One color camera points down to the Toad. The other looks out back at rear traffic. Easy to switch between them using the tiny remote control. It is a wide angle view that helps pick up approaching traffic like your rear-view mirrors. So far, it works great.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I did the same as SuperGewl and ordered the RearViewSafety unit from Costco but I got nervous about the install so I had my RV Repair Facility install. The Monitor would not fit correctly in the old location so they made up a OEM looking bracket and trim and were able to use the original wiring without trying to feed new wire 40' back. Works very well and I have it on constantly so I know if traffic is coming up to pass or following close behind, etc.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Community Moderator

the op is post-n-gone, although we tried to help him
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera