Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Suggestions requested on RV choice

I'm considering making a change in RVs. My husband and I purchased a Thor ACE 29.3 but since then, he passed away due to a rare fatal illness and since the ACE was his choice, I'm thinking of making my own choice. I don't want to go any less than 27' as I like the room and my kids also use it. I want something that is made better than this RV; lots of nice touches but cheaply made.

Questions: Would you trade or sell outright? Diesel or gas? Suggestions of rigs to consider?

Thanks....
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by russue125 View Post
I'm considering making a change in RVs. My husband and I purchased a Thor ACE 29.3 but since then, he passed away due to a rare fatal illness and since the ACE was his choice, I'm thinking of making my own choice. I don't want to go any less than 27' as I like the room and my kids also use it. I want something that is made better than this RV; lots of nice touches but cheaply made.

Questions: Would you trade or sell outright? Diesel or gas? Suggestions of rigs to consider?

Thanks....
Very sorry for your loss.

You can open up this to a million different opinions. I'm assuming your kids are adults? Are to sticking to a "Class A" motorhome or are you considering other types?

If the kids are going to be using it often, I would suggest all of you go together to shop.

What is your budget?

A diesel pusher will usually be in the larger heaver coaches. They cost more (on average), but depending on manufacture and model, they have better finishes. Generally, they cost more to maintain.

If the RV you have now is in good shape and you want to go through the 'motions' of selling it yourself, you can usually get a little more than a dealer will trade it in for.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry for your loss, I lost my wife of 30 years just over a year ago.
The MH I have was my choice, DW wanted to keep the old one, but let me have my way anyway.
Been kind of toying with downsizing but I haven't seen anything that would do for me.

Here in WA state we pay sales/use tax on the difference between the new rig and the trade when going through a dealer. That can save a bunch or cost a bunch depending on the deal. Personally I don't want to bother with trying to sell it myself.
There are lots of variables when making a choice, what is important to me might not be to you.
Answer Bill's questions, that gives us something to start with.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I know I didn't have all the information. Yes, my kids are adults with small families. Yes, I want to keep with a Class A. I've always considered gas because while I know people swear by diesel, I can't see the cost benefit. And if I do trade in, I don't want to pay out more than another $50k.
russue125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

I would recommend finding what you want and research pricing. Then just drive to the dealer of your choice and trade up for what you want.

The dealership is going to lowball your trade just to find out where you are money wise. Don't be offended, that's just the way it works. Be firm and make them adjust the new coach down and your trade up until you get to a fair price. Remember that the dealership has to make some money. You, like me, are talking about low priced gas and there isn't much room for you or the dealership to win win.

What brand do you have in mind?

I knock REV group around on here. However, they have a good product -- due to acquiring multiple brands -- and using the best suppliers and techniques from the bunch.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

We are sorry for your loss, but by continuing to RV you will keep the memories fresh. I can't add much to the advice of the others, but don't rush. You have time and use it to seek and explore. One thing I will add is if you or somebody you trust knows an independent diesel shop, the 10 year cost of a diesel is compatible to gas. The routine maintenance per occurrence is higher, but then interval is much longer, plus the difference in the chassis makes the diesel seems to most to be easier to drive.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We like Newmar as a good balance of quality and price. We ordered two DSDP's and probably should have ordered another one rather than going with the Magna. The late DW fell in love with a new 2015 DSDP 4375 literally an hour after signing the contract on the Magna.
I would agree with wanting to stay with a gas rig for your use and ability. DP's are not for everyone.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks....
The diesel choice is not an easy one, but if you can do or afford the extra cost of maintenance and a possible breakdown, then that's the way to go, but finding one you like, under 36ft might be tough and just depending how long you're willing to go. That said, the bigger the better until you get to the tag axle models and that's another decision with usually being in the 42 - 45ft range.
If you're looking for top quality throughout in a DP then don't first head for the entry door to look inside, like most everyone does, but instead look in the back for a side radiator and yep, I'm stuck tight on this concept. Having one will pretty much insure a quality build. Then go inside and decide if you like the floor plan. Not saying that there aren't nice coaches out there with a RR, but this advice, cuts through the chase, considerably.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I know I didn't have all the information. Yes, my kids are adults with small families. Yes, I want to keep with a Class A. I've always considered gas because while I know people swear by diesel, I can't see the cost benefit. And if I do trade in, I don't want to pay out more than another $50k.
You can do it all for an extra 50K, including a DP. It'll just be a little older than some like. Go for 1 1/2 baths if you want a little more convenience and in the way of privacy when traveling with family.
I'm partial to older American Coaches and if you, i'd be looking at an 05 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E with the 400HP CAT engine and side radiator, the extra Bath, twin leather couches, solid wood throughout...etc...etc...
They were very popular, so there were many sold and there's a lot of them around and surprising what some seller might take for one who needs to sell. Ask me how I know and in like new condition as well.
Don't go under the 05 however and prior to the introduction of the Liberty chassis, along with a smaller engine. Don't know what else might be lacking, but it's a bunch, I think.
Remember, a well made yacht, whether for land or sea, can be made to look good and go on forever.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote