Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Wink Sumo Springs, How do you like them?

Been considering buying these for my RV. Any body use them and do you have them only on the rear, on the front or both? Are they worth the investment. $500/pair
Thanks
Ken1San is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1San View Post
Been considering buying these for my RV. Any body use them and do you have them only on the rear, on the front or both? Are they worth the investment. $500/pair
Thanks
Yes, worth the $1200 to have them installed. Be advised they do NOT soften the ride, as they actually add to the springs stiffness (increase the spring rate). They do decrease the body roll and do away with the jarring collision of the springs with the factory bump stops. If you drive I-10 in LA or I-57 in IL, you will definitely notice the difference in ride quality.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1San View Post
Thanks
I’ve got them front and back. You have to describe what you’re trying to solve so people can help with suggestions. I’ve done the CHF and then a rear sway bar (made the biggest difference) and then added the Sumo’s. All this about 5000 miles between each change. While they helped some rocking the sway bar stopped the truck and wind push the most.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

I installed them on the front of my Workhorse chassis. I thought they softened the bumps at slow speed but they didn't make a huge difference on more larger impacts, nor would I expect them to.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have Sumo Springs both front and rear. Did the install myself in about 3 hours. Fronts were a piece of cake but the rears required some drilling and were a bit more labor intensive.

I also did the CHF both front and rear, 45 minute job.

I also added a Roadmaster Stabilizer to front. Another 45 minute job.

The difference in ride and handling is AMAZING !!!! The Sumo's and CHF pretty much eliminated the Roll and Sway while turning and when Trucks pass at Highway speeds. Unlike previous posts, I noticed a much softer ride on bumps and Bridge joints. Yes it is a firmer ride but defiantly not Harsh. VERY SMOOTH ride compared to Before install.

I still have some wander in my steer tracking but hope to eliminate this next month with New tires and ALIGNMENT.

Bottom Line for SUMO SPRINGS !!!!!!
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed them on mine but I don't feel the cost benefit ratio was totally worth it. Then again each install is different as to benefit. The DIY install wasn't to bad, just need to think things through. And a lot of grunt work.

Toughest part is removing tires and supporting chassis. The tire removal was just a matter of feeding my 10 year GS a little more and a longer pipe.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I installed them on the front of my Workhorse chassis. I thought they softened the bumps at slow speed but they didn't make a huge difference on more larger impacts, nor would I expect them to.

This makes me think I don't want them as they won't solve the crashing over bridge joints.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
This makes me think I don't want them as they won't solve the crashing over bridge joints.
Me too. But 1Motorhome says it DID help on bridge joints. However he's on an F53 chassis, not WH.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

I traded my 1999 E450, C for a 2017 E450, A, that came with sumos in the front.

I perfered the ride of the old chassis without the sumos.

The new chassis seems to rebound faster, stiffening up the ride.

I'm getting the caster increased next month and will have them removed. Then I can see how it handles heading back north.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 2018 32' Class A, I installed Sumos front and rear And Bilstein RV shocks
Old 02-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
On my 2018 32' Class A, I installed Sumos front and rear And Bilstein RV shocks
Along with a rear track bar and front steering stabilizer, ride and handling is great!
Old 02-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #12

Replacing empty air with polyurethane will not soften the ride but will reduce body roll. Then again CHF or thicker sway bars also reduce body without stiffening the ride all the time.

My recommendation is if you want to reduce body roll, adjust or get new anti roll bars that's what they are for.

If you need a helper spring because your leaf are sagging get a helper spring like a Sumo or Air bag, that's what they are for.

No one can seem to explain the physics behind adding a Sumo on top of your leafs and somehow its now softer.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
My Sumos - front and rear - made the RV sway less and firmed up control. It hasn’t made the ride any harsher but has made it more controlled on bumpy roads. I like the result and feel it was worth the cost.

I would like something to help with bridge transitions, though. BANG!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #14

I would put them on again in a heartbeat. I installed them myself and they were worth every minute I spent doing it. My wife no longer panics when we go around a curve. They were worth absolutely every penny I spent on them.
Gcbegoon is offline   Reply With Quote