Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sumo Springs or Air Bags

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34PBD. I plan to upgrade my suspension by installing either Sumo Springs or Air Bags. I am not sure which one will give me a better ride and handling. I know the air bags are more expensive, however I would rather spend more and solve the problem than to continue to spend more trying to improve the ride. I have already replaced the shocks, tires, and added a steering stabilizer. Is there any Vacationer owners out there that has done this. I will appreciate some advise.
Mike G W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G W View Post
Hello everyone. I have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34PBD. I plan to upgrade my suspension by installing either Sumo Springs or Air Bags. I am not sure which one will give me a better ride and handling. I know the air bags are more expensive, however I would rather spend more and solve the problem than to continue to spend more trying to improve the ride. I have already replaced the shocks, tires, and added a steering stabilizer. Is there any Vacationer owners out there that has done this. I will appreciate some advise.
Do you have the Ford or Workhorse chassis?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say Air Bags do you mean Kelderman Air Ride suspension (about $4k in parts) or Firestone air bags (about $1500 in parts)?
You do realize that it is a Motor Home and not a luxury sedan
It will never ride like one.

If you are in or near Oregon then give these guys a call; Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc.
They do a real bangup job on the ride and drivability of a MH.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:30 AM   #4

Quote:

What are you looking to improve with the ride?

Some examples:

1. Less sway from wind and trucks
2. Less side to side roll when turning or entering driveways, etc.
3. Less jarring from rough roads, pot holes, pavement transitions
Old 11-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First, yes I do realize the obvious it will never ride or handle like a car. I am trying to reduce the side to side rocking when entering driveways, besides just creeping. I also want to reduce the exaggerated lean on curvy roads and when turning corners.
Mike G W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
First, yes I do realize the obvious it will never ride or handle like a car. I am trying to reduce the side to side rocking when entering driveways, besides just creeping. I also want to reduce the exaggerated lean on curvy roads and when turning corners.
I think you have a Roadmaster chassis.
You may want to try posting in "Roadmaster chassis". You may get better info by posting there than you will here.

Located under RV Forums - Chassis Club - Roadmaster Chassis

I looked a little bit there but did not find any good info for Roadmaster Chassis and Sumo's. Most posts I found regarding Sumos referenced Ford/gas chassis.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

I have the same issue turning into some driveway s.I thought maybe it was bad shocks..
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote