Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Yesterday I was in Elkhart trying to convince MORryde sales to install a kit of Rubber Shackle on the rear axis. Unfortunately, they don't seem to consider the F53 business as a business opportunity. So be done with that project!

But yes, more weight where it is allowed and / or softer springs combined with Sumo's seem to be the way to go... when the CHF is already done of course!
Were you asking about MorRyde installing their RS (rubber shackle) system on the F53?
MORryde International, Inc. RS Suspension System

Their website looks to read like they DO offer it already(?).

We had a similar system from Sulastic on a 1 ton pick-up...the difference was like night and day after install. Would have already upgraded, but Sulatic does not offer a model for our RV
Sulastic. Leaf Spring Shackle

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Were you asking about MorRyde installing their RS (rubber shackle) system on the F53?
MORryde International, Inc. RS Suspension System

Their website looks to read like they DO offer it already(?).
The F53 chassis has 2-3 different wheel size and differential ratios for 6 various frame length and 4 axel capacities.
That is probably why you have to fill a spec sheet prior to ordering... and they may not carry much supply of each
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #73

Sumo spring added to my Tiffin 22K Workhorse chassis. Virtually eliminated porpoising. Reduced side-sway significantly. Tied the coach to the chassis much better. I felt like I had better control of the motorhome. Ride was a little smoother but expansion joints at bridges were still a problem.
MaggieMay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #74

Back to the Sumos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I put Sumo Maxiums on our little 18,000 lb coach without any other add-ons. I think the ride is about 20% better than before and the sway is about 40% better. The ride height went up 3.4" in the front and 2.75" in the rear when loaded to 17,120 lbs gross. The coach does still wander a little more than I would like, so a rear track bar is next.
Now I am considering (again) the install of the Maxiums for the front.

Will I mount them so they are compressed to the point where they lift the MH by 3'' ? Hum... I tend to believe that doing so, you greatly reduce the sway BUT you also reduce the total travel of the balloon AND miss the sweeter portion of the progressive rate.

Those who report big improvement in the comfort may have installed them so that the balloon is barely compressed once the MH is at rest. I expect they absorb most of the vibration and impact from bad roads when they are not pre-compressed.

Comments? Reports?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:09 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sumo Springs F53 specs

Tricolor, I'd be very surprised (a bit concerned) that the Sumo install would raise the chassis by 3" as Beau338 mentioned.

I'd call down to Sumo (Super Springs in Carpenteria CA, ask for Chad) and ask him to recommend the best setup for your chassis. They are specd by the chassis year of manufacture, not the coach year of manufacture (my chassis is Aug '07 build date; coach is 2008 Sightseer 29R on 190" 18K chassis - Jan '08).

I installed Sumo Maxims both front and rear in Nov 2016. Without a big story, I ended up installing springs intended for the 20-22K chassis (rears are 5600# capacity at 50% and 8.5" high vs. 3000# and 8.0" for the 16-18K chassis; fronts for both setups have 2600# capacity with difference being the spring for the 20-22K chassis is 7" high vs. 6" for 18-22K chassis).

Overall, my chassis height increased about an inch in both front and rear vs. the OE chassis height; I can certainly live with that especially when carrying full fuel and water. So, I'd be surprised if the chassis could be raised 3" from OE.

The bottom line is, in addition to earlier upgrades (SS Track Bar, RM 1.75 sway bars, Koni FSDs), my chassis goes down the road exceptionally well, even during 40 MPH cross winds and passing heavy trucks. The 'jounce' I used to get over expansion joints and rough pavement has gone from a jarring "jolt" to quiet and comfortable "thud". If you are good with tools and have a bottle jack with stands, plus a good drill and bit, you can install them in a couple of hours.

And Beau338, if you're following, add the rear track bar. You will notice a difference.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbud View Post
Tricolor, I'd be very surprised (a bit concerned) that the Sumo install would raise the chassis by 3" as Beau338 mentioned.

Overall, my chassis height increased about an inch in both front and rear vs. the OE chassis height.

The bottom line is, in addition to earlier upgrades (SS Track Bar, RM 1.75 sway bars, Koni FSDs), my chassis goes down the road exceptionally well, even during 40 MPH cross winds and passing heavy trucks. The 'jounce' I used to get over expansion joints and rough pavement has gone from a jarring "jolt" to quiet and comfortable "thud".
Which Sumo did you install... the Maxium, right?

Did you take the final measurement after driving it for a few miles, so it was fully back to it's ''rest'' position?

Were you not satisfied of the ''drivability'' after the earlier upgrades?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine in the front only. I talked to the Sumo application engineer to get the right spring for my chassis. The installation was near to nothing for me (because my son did this), but not a big deal for my son either. My unit is extremely light in the front, and I did not see any measurable high increase there. The Sumos are very minimally compressed.
I did not feel any improvement in the right quality as it goes for softness, but a dramatic improvement for side to side sway. Passing Semis don't bother me at all anymore! Most of the time I either realize it only that I am passed, when the noise gets loud, or if I see them through my side window.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
Which Sumo did you install... the Maxium, right?

Yes, I installed the Sumo Maxim, front and rear. Liked the idea of the spring being connected to both lower leaf and frame rail. Note in my post I installed PNs that are specd for a heavier chassis. Be sure to check their website or call Chad at Super Springs 800-898-0705.

Did you take the final measurement after driving it for a few miles, so it was fully back to it's ''rest'' position?

Yes.

Were you not satisfied of the ''drivability'' after the earlier upgrades?
The initial upgrades (sway bars and track bar) made a huge difference vs. stock setup with Bilsteins. I had come out of an older Winnebago on a P-30 chassis and had installed the track bar and steering mods (from Henderson Line Up in Grants Pass OR) to alleviate rear wandering (passing larger vehicles). When I first drove the F-53 I was convinced the darn thing was going to roll just leaving a driveway! I called Henderson's and they recommended the upgrade to Koni FSDs, their SS track bar and upgrades for the 1.75" Roadmaster sway bars early mentioned. The improvement was VERY significant, but I still had the harsh ride of a front straight axle, especially over expansion joints, RR tracks, rough roads (with the horrible jolting that frightened not only DW but the dog as well). A friend of mine had Henderson's install the same upgrades I had installed myself plus the Sumo's on his identical coach (2008 29R). He had so much praise after the install that I pulled the trigger. I'd do it all over and should I ever purchase another MH on an F-53, I'll replicate everything. Actually, I have to remind myself I'm pushing 20K lbs around 20 MPH curves and the DW thinks I'm a hero for making the MH so quiet on harsh roads.