Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sun Screen, Yes or No

We are thinking that we should get a sun screen for our motorhome. Because we have a kitchen slide the awning extends very high to stay above it. A few questions about sun screens. Should it hang to the ground, or stay above it? Or should we stake it out on an angle? Any brands of sun screens that we should look at?

Or will the sun screen overly complicate getting the awning put away in case of wind?

Our awning is about 19' long, so I assume we would want a 17' or so long screen. Thanks for the advice.
TBorstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
ShadePro.com has some nice ones. These zip together so you can leave the top portion that mounts to your awning in place and will roll up with the awning.

I angle mine out to give more room and leave about a foot above the ground for flow and for our little dog to be able to get around with no problems. She doesn't see as well these days.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

We live in Las Vegas where our coach is stored on our driveway in the hot sun, I bought solar screen material from Lowe's and had a local upholsterer fabricate exterior solar screens for all our coach windows.

The screens have snaps so they could be attached to the coach. They work great, and I can even drive our coach without removing them except for the front and side cockpit windows. Our coach also has dual pane windows which helps reducing inside heat.

I highly recommend them.

Best of luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My awning comes straight out. While it stops rain, it isn't so good at shade. I installed a Shade Pro, 2 piece. 4 feet stays on and rolls up fine when I put the awning in. 6 more feet sipper on when I need more shade. I do stake it out on an angle when we need a little more room on the patio. It works great for us.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:46 AM   #5
RV LIFE Support Team

We have MCD day/night shades and keep the day shades down a majority of the time. We also bought the carefree awning. The upper half rolls up with the awning. I don't think we have zipped on the bottom half yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-7015...arefree+701509

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBorstad View Post
We are thinking that we should get a sun screen for our motorhome. Because we have a kitchen slide the awning extends very high to stay above it. A few questions about sun screens. Should it hang to the ground, or stay above it? Or should we stake it out on an angle? Any brands of sun screens that we should look at?

Or will the sun screen overly complicate getting the awning put away in case of wind?

Our awning is about 19' long, so I assume we would want a 17' or so long screen. Thanks for the advice.
I had screen type shades on all of our previous txt/5vrs.
Hanging short of the ground by a foot or two worked for us, and we used tent stakes to keep it from flying in the breeze.

However with our coach and the auto retraction system I find we can't add anything extra the mechanism in fear of jamming it up.

And especially having something hanging from the awning that is secured to the ground that would work against the auto retracting system.

But if yours is the manual pull out type, you will benefit from having extra shade.

It should be no problem rolling up and in with the awning. Just be sure to keep it clean and free of mold.

Dtw
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into these products.
TBorstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm getting ready to make my own. It will be 20' long and 6' tall. There will be maybe 3-4' under it when the awning is in the position we like it. I will use four bungees from the bottom to stakes in the ground. It will be angled outward the same as the awning tie-downs.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #9

Use our awing sun screen a lot, but very cognizant of wind. Have the 2 piece type with about 18" that stays in the awing track.

While I often use tie down straps on the awing when breezy, I've also noticed the sun screen can create a down force on the awing structure. Recently, I noticed my tie down straps had slack I them on a breezy day (gusts proably to 20) and I looked at the "track" on the awning arms and saw they had been pushed in several inches, even with the adjusting knobs being fairly tight...... It was obvious that the screen was being pushed by the wind, so I decided to take the screen down at that point.

So it's not only the "up" on the awing you need to be cognizant of, but also the additional "down" pressure a sun screen can create given the appropriate wind conditions.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm getting ready to make my own. It will be 20' long and 6' tall. There will be maybe 3-4' under it when the awning is in the position we like it. I will use four bungees from the bottom to stakes in the ground. It will be angled outward the same as the awning tie-downs.
Good for you!
Check out RochfordSupply.Com - I but a lot of material from them - frequently have seconds & close-out fabrics at bargain prices. I do RV / Boat canvas work as a PT "hobby" business. These are not all that difficult to make.
Recently I've seen some on power awnings that folks want to retract frequently and they put a short 2 ft or so piece on the awning roller and attached the lower larger section w grommets in both and "S" hooks (crimped to the lower so they don't loose them) looked quick & simple to attach / detatch

Good Luck

We have a new-to-us coach coming and I'll need to figure out how I want to make mine as it has an electric auto-retract awning which will be new to me.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Made our own from shade cloth found at WW. used it twice on the TT when parked facing East. The sun was bad and this helped even though it did stop the little breeze that we did have. That was 5 years ago. Now I just put miles on the screen rolled up in the storage bay and have not used it in 5 years. Might start leaving it at home.

Your situation will be different and you might look at where and how you park to see if you need one. It also restricts the access to only the ends of the awning.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Good for you!
Check out RochfordSupply.Com - I but a lot of material from them - frequently have seconds & close-out fabrics at bargain prices. I do RV / Boat canvas work as a PT "hobby" business. These are not all that difficult to make.
Recently I've seen some on power awnings that folks want to retract frequently and they put a short 2 ft or so piece on the awning roller and attached the lower larger section w grommets in both and "S" hooks (crimped to the lower so they don't loose them) looked quick & simple to attach / detatch

Good Luck

We have a new-to-us coach coming and I'll need to figure out how I want to make mine as it has an electric auto-retract awning which will be new to me.
Thanks for the link !
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

We bought the Carfree one from Amazon where we can zip off the bottom part. It rolls up in the awning. Works great. Since we never leave our awning out unless we are home this works great. We cannot reach our awning without a ladder so all and all this has been a great solution for us.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
Made our own from shade cloth found at WW. used it twice on the TT when parked facing East. The sun was bad and this helped even though it did stop the little breeze that we did have. That was 5 years ago. Now I just put miles on the screen rolled up in the storage bay and have not used it in 5 years. Might start leaving it at home.

Your situation will be different and you might look at where and how you park to see if you need one. It also restricts the access to only the ends of the awning.

That's why I am making mine to clear the ground about 3-4', allowing the breeze to come through!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr