Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 07:43 AM   #1

Sun visor suggestions

Hi! We have a 2015 Fleetwood Excursion. It doesn't have see through visors like our old coach had, just the electric curtain that doesn't work while driving.

A hat and sunglasses just isn't enough on long drives, so I'm hoping to get some ideas on what else we could do to block the sun more if we're driving towards it. I'm trying to avoid spending $500+ on installing another set of see through curtains, and the time involved with installing them as we have a trip coming up in a few weeks.

Any cool ideas for something that might work better? Thanks!
Zonearc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry a couple of sunshades that use suction cups to hold to the window. I think they are primarily made for baby protection in cars. They work well and are movable to work at any angle. They are see through and retract like a shade.
Just google car sunshades for kids.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have a powered sun shade, would not drive without them and if they failed I'd replace. New ones are expensive though.
You might check salvage yards.
https://rvinteriors.visonerv.com/cgi...M360543/s1.pl?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:12 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cut the brown wire for the programming function at the end. Lower either curtain for shade.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:31 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have wrap around sliding curtains or powered roller shades? If they're the powered shade that comes down, lower it to where you want it before you start driving. It will be limited to going any lower, but you can raise it any time.

Again, you need to tell us what shades you have! If they're one of the powered roller shades, the "drop" is usually adjustable. I have mine set to go lower than my eyeline, which gives me plenty of adjustment for sun.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #6

We have a singular, 96" long electric power shade. It's a 3 wire setup with a rocker switch on the dash. The motor was bad so I replaced it with this one (same model #):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28315473373...2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Since we drive long stretches, I don't want to stop the coach to lower the shade as the sun sets. So, can I cut one of the wires to prevent the "safety"? This would be very helpful.

Also, I did get some of those suction cup ones for the side windows. They work good enough there, but I can reach mine to adjust it while driving. On the windshield, that's not going to happen, so an electric option is dream.
Zonearc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #7

When I know we will be travelling into the sun, I close my shades all the way, then fold them up in half, using spring clothes pins, I pin them up. Works like a charm. Free fix.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:41 AM   #8

I got a set of sun shades from a school bus supply co. They are wide abt 24 in and I can maneuver up and down as I’m driving to adjust for the sun. Traveled west last summer from nj to vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce, goblin valley Utah and back and they were great.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
These are tough to beat. Timeless, no batteries required......
https://www.rosenvisor.com/store/p16...or_System.html
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #10

I would love to find replacement lens for mine they were/are missing. I guess I would have to send email inquiry "hate those". I can find ones for aviation models. Kind of hate company sells high end product but replacement parts a nightmare or distribution model makes near impossible.
I have seen photos through them it would be hard to find colored acrylic with close to the same clarity or characteristics .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
These are tough to beat. Timeless, no batteries required......
https://www.rosenvisor.com/store/p16...or_System.html
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:33 PM   #11

I decided to contact Rosen today they got right back to me . $38 to $45 per lens. They should have at least have let you know repair parts available . Maybe no compete deal with distributors mine are pretty old lol. Depending on the three sizes. These visors run about $400 I believe. Mine are "Protector" model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I would love to find replacement lens for mine they were/are missing. I guess I would have to send email inquiry "hate those". I can find ones for aviation models. Kind of hate company sells high end product but replacement parts a nightmare or distribution model makes near impossible.
I have seen photos through them it would be hard to find colored acrylic with close to the same clarity or characteristics .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:51 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
My previous coach has small "polarized" see through "air plane" type sun visors that offered little help as they required manual adjustment which I couldn't while seated a driving. As such, I purchased this "sun visor kit" which has tightly woven but see through material that attaches to the windshield with suction cups --> https://www.activervupholstery.com/s...sIncluded.html

I ordered the 54" wide x 16" tall visor and trimmed the length to fit the windshield. The tightly woven material used for this visor is the same used for MCD motorized visor for my current coach.

Hope this info is helpful.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote