Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

SunPass and EZPass

Preparing for an upcoming trip north, we purchased 2 EZPass modules for the MH and toad from NC. They're presently covered in FL under the SunPass.

I was concerned about the EZPass in FL, because they work here as well, so I called the NC office to find out how to store theirs in the SunPass states to avoid double tolls. They told me not to worry as I would not be double billed.

What say you and where/how do you store the duplicate transponders if you have a similar situation please. Thanks!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Preparing for an upcoming trip north, we purchased 2 EZPass modules for the MH and toad from NC. They're presently covered in FL under the SunPass.

I was concerned about the EZPass in FL, because they work here as well, so I called the NC office to find out how to store theirs in the SunPass states to avoid double tolls. They told me not to worry as I would not be double billed.

What say you and where/how do you store the duplicate transponders if you have a similar situation please. Thanks!
I wrap the one not in use in double aluminum foil and put it in a drawer. Have never been charged double.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
There are times when I'm towing a car so I'll have two EZpass's. In order to avoid a double toll, EZPass provides a foil lined bag to store the extra transponder. Once its in the bag, its invisible to the toll booth.

But its good information to share that NC has a pass that is compatible to both SunPass and EZPass.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post

Lies! You will be double billed. That is why they want to sell you the RF Shield Bag:

https://www.sunpass.com/rfBag
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

In Florida the toll for a 3 axel motorhome and a two axel car is less than a 5 axel vehicle. I have been tempted to buy 2 sun passes.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Lies! You will be double billed. That is why they want to sell you the RF Shield Bag:

https://www.sunpass.com/rfBag
I concur that you WILL be doubled billed!

Use foil or an RF bag as mentioned by others.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
In Florida the toll for a 3 axel motorhome and a two axel car is less than a 5 axel vehicle. I have been tempted to buy 2 sun passes.
The only problem is that they will bill you for 5 axles on the first pass and then 2 more for your toad. This has happened to me many times. The system is not sophisticated enough to recognize that the tow vehicle is separate. I have had to fight with Sunpass to get my money back for the extra 2 axles they billed for. They will eventually review the camera shots and refund you, but what a hassle... and for those that don't review every charge, you are getting screwed by Florida.

Best to either deactivate the toad pass, or put it in a foil bag. Since I use the decals, I am forced to go online and terminate my pass temporarily (not stolen, but just deactivated) when towing on one of their toll roads.

I once asked one of their agents what would happen if someone was riding my tail too close in a passenger car. Could the system bill me for 4 axles? The answer was "it happens".
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Good to know. You only need one SunPass here. It's on my toad but when I'm towing it with the Motorhome, it knows we're four axles total. Only one SunPass with both vehicles registered.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:35 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I wrap the one not in use in double aluminum foil and put it in a drawer. Have never been charged double.
+1 That is the way we store ours or you can keep the cellophane bags they come in and keep it in that.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 AM   #10

We have 2 EZ Passes, one for the MH, other for our toad. Toads gets taken down and put in foil bag that came with the device when we tow it.
I don't think EZ Pass and Florida Sun Pass are compatible. Would be nice if Florida would allow EZ Pass.
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
I concur that you WILL be doubled billed!

Use foil or an RF bag as mentioned by others.
The two NC EZPass transponders came in a bag but I don't know if it's an RF one or not. Think I'll wrap them in the bag in 2 layers of aluminum foil and put in a lower drawer on the MH. When we leave Georgia into South Carolina I think we're in no-man's land because it's not either on the SunPass or EZPass ,and their Palmetto Pass is really only if you're going to the islands I believe. Continue with the SunPass into North Carolina, and then we we go into Virginia,
stop, take out and install the EZPass and leave it on with the SunPass until we leave Virginia again on the way south to avoid the double billing.

Will be visiting Maryland, Delaware, NJ, Pa and NY, with a possible side trip to MA (going through CT, that doesn't require one) with the EZPass. Just have to remember the Virginia switch on the way up and down!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandorr2000 View Post
We have 2 EZ Passes, one for the MH, other for our toad. Toads gets taken down and put in foil bag that came with the device when we tow it.
I don't think EZ Pass and Florida Sun Pass are compatible. Would be nice if Florida would allow EZ Pass.
They are compatible. We have a NC "Quick Pass" which is compatible with EZ Pass, Sun Pass, GA Peach Pass, etc. We have used it in all states with no problems.

https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/rates.shtml
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey15 View Post
They are compatible. We have a NC "Quick Pass" which is compatible with EZ Pass, Sun Pass, GA Peach Pass, etc. We have used it in all states with no problems.

https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/rates.shtml
No, SunPass and E-ZPass are not compatible. But, North Carolina has come up with one that is compatible with both SunPass and E-ZPass, as well as Georgia's Peach Pass. Note that North Carolina has two versions of its Quick Pass, per their website:

- NC Quick Pass - works in NC, GA, and FL
- NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass - works in those three, plus all of the E-ZPass states.

How it is that NC can get one to work with all four of those systems, but FL and E-ZPass can't work with each other, is beyond me.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
No, SunPass and E-ZPass are not compatible. But, North Carolina has come up with one that is compatible with both SunPass and E-ZPass, as well as Georgia's Peach Pass. Note that North Carolina has two versions of its Quick Pass, per their website:

- NC Quick Pass - works in NC, GA, and FL
- NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass - works in those three, plus all of the E-ZPass states.

How it is that NC can get one to work with all four of those systems, but FL and E-ZPass can't work with each other, is beyond me.
And I neglected to say that the NC Quick Pass E-ZPass also works with the Illinois I-Pass too.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote