Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
It's kinda like a seat belt, you may only need it once - but which once?
BINGO!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
For me, power problems are defendant on the time of year, time of day and where one is. Age of the CG seems to have no effect. My voltage regulator and surge protector have kept the coach well protected. The voltage regulator gets the most exercise (low voltage problems). Based on the number of low voltage readings I get, it gets exercised way too often.

I wouldn't be without both of these appliances.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #17

2 summers ago we were in the northeast and had to move to different sites a few times due to low voltage. Once, we left the park as every site theat was open had issues. Older parks and many RV's using AC due to the heat seems to be the cause.
As a result of that trip, I picked up an autoformer and now use that with the SP to give me some insurance/comfort
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #18

Interesting thread. I am in the process of installing a Progressive 50A Hard Wired in my coach because I thought it might save me some money replacing TV's Computers Etc. From what I read here I was right. Thanks for the validation.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #19

Don't forget that some /most surge guards protect against high voltage also. I was in a campground this spring that was mostly empty. My Progressive tripped on both mornings when the voltage exceeded 132v. That can do just as much damage as low voltages.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
About mid summer last year one of those 100 degree weekend, at camp ground the 50 amp plug in was shorted out due to earlier flooding so I plugged into 30 amp only running one A/C, spoke to manager and did not have any more spots to get and he said could not get maintenance out to change 50 amp plug out so I said if you have the 50 amp plug I will change it out so he got it and I changed it out to get 50 amp that is it as far as power surge or outage, I don't have a power surge protector, but as far as your A/C it is protected by your board timer which keeps your compressor from coming back on before 2-3 minutes , I would worry more about the electronics TV, sat receiver ,refrigerator these voltage sensitive items.

Happy RVing,James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #21

We just took our camper to our first CG/first full hook up. We were pro active and bought a 50 amp hardwired surgeguard. I was extremely glad as 2 days into our trip, we lost power- the CG had 200+ sites, and at least the whole are we were in lost power and we had the trailer humming, it was nearly 100 out so the A/c was going, I had the coffee on, water heater, fridge, lights, radio... (Granted, it was kind of nice when everything shut down as we were in the mountains of Julian, CA)! Funny how noisy it is when everyone has A/C going! We opted out of the more expensive portable (my hubs is a high voltage electrician so I trusted him on this decision at least!) and the only thing we found that seemed to possibly happen later is a breaker on the genny tripped :0/ We still aren't really sure about WHY, but it did!
LadyFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Once in a park in Palm Springs, the voltage got so low the surge protector shut off the power. Another time, it warned that although I was plugged into a 50 amp plug, one leg was dead. Although they are expensive, they are worth the money. IMHO.
Jack
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I recently purchased a surge guard and my first campsite assignment revealed low voltage on one leg so I moved to another site . My question is , if you have surge and voltage protection, I am curious how many parks have power problems. I would like to hear from you if you have an opinion. I would to keep the discussion to park power and not a referendum on which surge protector to have.
Thanks,
Randall
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
For me, power problems are dependent on the time of year, time of day and where one is. Age of the CG seems to have no effect. My voltage regulator and surge protector have kept the coach well protected. The voltage regulator gets the most exercise (low voltage problems). Based on the number of low voltage readings I get, it gets exercised way too often.

I wouldn't be without both of these appliances.
I totally agree with GaryKD. I use both the PowerMaster Voltage Booster in conjunction with the Progressive Industries HW50C EMS unit. More often than not, you will experience low voltage problems versus high voltage problems. By using a voltage booster, those that use them are oblivious to the low voltage unless they are monitoring them full time.

When other people are without power to their coach due to their SG unit shutting down for low voltage, those that have the voltage boosters still have quality power. Then you will have those people that don't have any power protection for their RV and they won't know the difference when the voltage is low until someday later when stuff doesn't work correctly anymore. And they won't have a clue as to why because it will be well after the fact and most likely at a completely different RV Park. More than likely they will be replacing A/C's, microwave, and other low voltage sensitive electrical equipment.

I have only been down for high voltage once in a RV Park in Tok Alaska. I simply switched over to their 30 amp service in the same box and had no more problems for the one night we were staying there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #24

One day on a trip, my SurgeGuard would not let me connect to a campground site. It would allow power for a minute or two, then shut down.

The voltage measured OK when I checked it.

So I told the camp manager we would not stay. He insisted that noone else was having a problem. He checked the voltage and even connected a load on the site's plug with no apparent problems.

Nevertheless, I left. I still wonder if it was a floating neutral or undulating voltage or something else that may allow unprotected units to operate although it may be damaging or dangerous.

Whatever the case, I appreciated my SurgeGuard for keeping me safe and sound.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #25

on an earlier post i commeneted about my surge protectror that i had put in. this week i heard a slight buzzing while outside the rv, and traced it down to a small single plug in surge protector that i had put in the outlet that the fridge plugs into. it seems ,even though i had the large "surge guard" installed ,i still had a surge come past it and blew out the small one at the fridge. that really says a lot for the "surge guard " unit---not
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
on an earlier post i commeneted about my surge protectror that i had put in. this week i heard a slight buzzing while outside the rv, and traced it down to a small single plug in surge protector that i had put in the outlet that the fridge plugs into. it seems ,even though i had the large "surge guard" installed ,i still had a surge come past it and blew out the small one at the fridge. that really says a lot for the "surge guard " unit---not
Isn't it possible that the small one just failed and wasn't killed by a surge which had gotten past your big one?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I recently purchased a surge guard and my first campsite assignment revealed low voltage on one leg so I moved to another site . My question is , if you have surge and voltage protection, I am curious how many parks have power problems. I would like to hear from you if you have an opinion. I would to keep the discussion to park power and not a referendum on which surge protector to have.
Thanks,
Randall
Randall, I have only been in campgrounds here in Texas (1 in Kansas). I only have experience with 6 campgrounds. I do have an ems I installed last year.

I have had low voltage park problems with 4 out of 6 campgrounds in the summer, here in Texas. The intense heat and multi mega coach a/c draws on the average CG electrical infrastructure is too much. The only time I've had issues is in the mid to late afternoons, low voltage drop offs and the ems actually cut power several times. This was not an issue in the two CG's that were newer, pricier (50-60 overnight). I think many of the older CG electrical systems just weren't set up to handle so many coaches with 2 or 3 A/C drawing power in the late afternoons/evenings when the temp is so high.

Indeed a couple of times, I actually had to unhook from park power and run off the Genny.

But the non miserable heat time of year, no problems with any CG power so far.....

As I said, limited experience, but that's been mine.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Isn't it possible that the small one just failed and wasn't killed by a surge which had gotten past your big one?

Rick
rick, i opened it up and one of the "MOV" components had been burnt and blown open, which tells me there was a surge to do that