Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Surge guard

I recently purchased a surge guard and my first campsite assignment revealed low voltage on one leg so I moved to another site . My question is , if you have surge and voltage protection, I am curious how many parks have power problems. I would like to hear from you if you have an opinion. I would to keep the discussion to park power and not a referendum on which surge protector to have.
Thanks,
Randall
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We bought our surge protector for the specific reason your describing....kinda validates me spending the money
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #3

After 8 years of full timing, I'd say very few parks have power problems. From Alaska to Mexico's Yucatan and far south Western coast. Then the mid-west and northern states.

Have had to move on maybe 3 times in 8 years. I check it before I plug in. Usually, you can visual the outlets and if the terminals are all burnt and the plastic crumbling, that's a tip off. I don't have a surge protector. It's on my list though.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
3 CGs

First one (home base) Started off without a proper ground. That was corrected and then low voltage which had to be corrected for the most part. There was an additional problem caused by malfunctioning transformers feeding the CG on 3 separate occasions. All 3 times my SP shut down my RV because of low voltage and then restarted with problem was solved.

Second one had low voltage and I had to move.

Third one

I also like the fact it makes sure my generator has started putting out good, clean power before it lets it connect to my RV.

I have a huge appreciation for my Progressive Industries HW 50 amp SP with a remote read out in my coach.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on where you go. There are some smaller and older parks that have problems, but most are ok. We have traveled across the USA and Canada and Alaska multiple times and rarely find a problem. Not never, but rarely.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We've logged 45,000 miles through 36 states (tomorrow we'll be going in to Canada for the first time) and about 1400 CG nights. We have a Surgeguard but have never once had to change sites due to power... that I can recall.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
In our 12.5 years of rving, we had one case where the Surgeguard would not connect due to an issue with the power. After hookup we have had another 7 or 8 times the Surgeguard turn the power off or there was a power failure while we were away. The power turned back on at some point prior to us returning home.

However, we started using a Surgeguard after our very first long trip in 1999. We made it from FL to a VA campground were we had a power spike that burned out our transfer switch and a couple of GFI's. From that point onward we have always had a Surgeguard.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
we have never had a problem --- not that we are really road warriors but we have been traveling daily and doing a lot of one night camping ... so we've seen a lot of parks and never had an issue. (so far)
Webetravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Traveled 62,000 miles to 49 States and all 10 Cdn Prov. we didn't have any Surge or EMS protection and didn't even have volt meters inside( plug in type ). Never had any issues ( lucky ). In current MH , we traveled for the first three years with a PI smart surge protector but had volt Meters plugged in to lines 1 & 2 and had to leave one CG due to 102 volts. This year we have traveled out West with a 50 amp portable PI EMS and have had to change sites twice in Monument Valley , had to leave Carlsbad NM and were temporarily shut down due to low voltage about 4 more times. It was brutal out West this year temperature wise and I believe this was the cause of most of these situations. My EMS is the best improvement I have added in a long time. One other thing. I've been in Upstate NY for the last 5 weeks and the CG I'm in had an electrical problem that took almost a week to solve. We were shut down by the electricians at least a dozen times without warning. My EMS handled all these without issue.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Clifftall brings up another good point. The most common problem identified by the various power monitors may be a low voltage situation. Over time low voltage can damage a number of items in your rv such as air conditioners. I had forgotten about that when I posted above.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

we were just in a virginia campground and a strong lightning storm came thru during the night and woke us up. the park electric blinked off several times ,and each time our surge unit kept the power to the mh from coming back on for 2 1/4 minutes, which keeps the ac units from bogging down and blowing the breaker. if nothing else it does protect from those kind of stroms.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This year we had power issues in FL - 30A plug Hot and Neutral reversed, and this last weekend low voltage. Over the past 5 years, 35000 miles and 100+ CGs have had at least one issue per year. The worst was the loss of the neutral IN THE CG system. Had 240VAC but no power could get thru the EMS. Other campers had some things that worked (probably defective - grounded). 1st thing I bought for the MH, even before gas. Saved unknown dollars and a lot of aggravation. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's kinda like a seat belt, you may only need it once - but which once?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc
It's kinda like a seat belt, you may only need it once - but which once?
Agreed. Also , insurance. It's real expensive until you need it, then it becomes cheap.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote