RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

Surge Guard Transfer Switch - "Hums"

We have a 50 Amp fixed Surge Guard Transfer Switch model 40250 installed in our 2014 Fleetwood Southwind (located under a drawer in the rear bedroom).
When connected to shore power we get a loud "Hum" that can be heard half way through the coach.
The manufacturer has discontinued this model, but, will not admit they had issues!
I am outside of the warranty period, so no claim back to Fleetwood.

Questions:
1) Is this normal to have the Hum?
2) Where is your Transfer Switch located (is it in a service bay)?

We are attending the Fleetwood Rally this January in Florida and Fleetwood's Service Techs are scheduled to re-locate the Switch into the utility service bay, but still interested in hearing from others with a similar issue and how your addressed it.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The hum is the result of the alternating current. Some newer ATS are being built with direct current solenoids that eliminate the hum. You can try tightening the screws or use padding, but you probably can't make the noise go away completely.

Is That Hum From Your RV Automatic Transfer Switch Driving You Crazy?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Not uncommon, at all ... my switch is in my electric bay, enclosed. I don't notice the noise, although I'm sure it's there if I listen for it. Moving it to your service bay will likely eliminate or greatly reduce your awareness of the noise.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Surge Guard 41260 here. No noticeable hum. Even with my head in the power bay where the switch is located. You might be cheaper / better to replace the transfer switch rather than relocate.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.trvnclassifieds.com/display.php?id=4009
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #6

That would be unusual in my expirience. The ATS should be wired so that it is unpowered when on shore power. When the genset runs, that should power that solenoid which will then close and isolate the RV from shore, and apply 120 Vac from each leg of the Genset.

So if you have a buzz from the ATS on shore power, first thing I'd check for is dirty, corroded, carbonized contacts. The 2nd thing would be a loose wire on the ATS terminals, 3rd would be a miswiring.

An ATS MIGHT develop a buzz on shore power if the built in surge suppression circuit has a weird component failure I suppose.

Finally, a solenoid coil will vibrate if it's not built correctly. The fix for a buzzing coil of that size is toothpicks. Plastic or wood...jamb them in any accessible hole between the coil and frame.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW--Here is a discussion on rvforum about the transfer switch and reply #3 (Gary) starts discussion on a 40250 humming. Surge Guard Model 41260 Transfer Switch Problem
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
TRC Surge Guard transfer switch with built-in electric monitoring isn't a good idea in my belief. The nature of a surge protector is that it sacrifices itself when hit with a surge. That would mean replacing the whole unit because the surge protection is bad. I'd buy an ATS and a separate surge protector/EMS. Progressive Industries EMS have a lifetime repair/replace warranty. TRC Surge Guard is a 12-month warranty only. If it fails or sacrifices itself after that, your only recourse is to buy another one.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
TRC Surge Guard transfer switch with built-in electric monitoring isn't a good idea in my belief. The nature of a surge protector is that it sacrifices itself when hit with a surge. That would mean replacing the whole unit because the surge protection is bad. I'd buy an ATS and a separate surge protector/EMS. Progressive Industries EMS have a lifetime repair/replace warranty. TRC Surge Guard is a 12-month warranty only. If it fails or sacrifices itself after that, your only recourse is to buy another one.
Progressive also uses the 'sacrificial' type of surge protection. But in both the Progressive 50 amp and 30 amp models I bought, it is easily replaceable. Uses a plug-in connector so if it's defective, just unplug and replace. Excellent product. I have no idea if their competitors have the same helpful design or not.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Surge Guard has no parts or repair service. After a year, you're SOL.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
My Surge Guard 40100 does have a relay on the shore power side, about 3-4 second delay when plugged in. It is located under the bed and has slight hum but I can only hear it when bed is raised. According to my manual on it the surge protector shuts off this relay but I wouldn't rely on it as manual states it cuts off @ approximately 90 volts. That is way to low in my thinking.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

My 40250 hummed too, but it lasted several years and I don't think the hum is anything other than an annoyance. Didn't hum all the time - it seemed to depend on a variety of conditions that I could never fully isolate. Changes in campground voltage seemed to be part of it - the hum might come and go, and maybe weather as well (temperature and humidity?). A hum is just vibration that happens to be in the audible range.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The TS relay can collect iron filings on armature that will prevent complete closure of relay.
When everything is disconnected run a dollar bill through the armature of relay and even the relay contacts to clean everything and see if that makes a difference.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have worked in the electronics field for 45 years long before the digital world back in the days when it was all relays it was common practice to quiet a humming relay by placing a piece of electrical tape between the armature and the contact plate if you have access to do so this will usually help quiet the buzzing.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard, switch, transfer switch