Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Surge protection

Do I need a surge protector on a 2015 Phaeton that has an EMS.
Hd19735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
EMS is the management of your power, not the protection of systems.

Unless it came with one, you need it.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not sure why a motorhomes -especially new ones- do not come equipped with a surge suppressor. Probably the cost.

If you pull into a campground and hook up a water supply virtually everyone uses a water regulator. Without it you could blow seals or worse. Think of a surge protector as the same thing but for you electrical system. Our Progressive Industry 50 Amp builtin protects (like the water regulator) against too high of a current, polarity issues and current that is too low.

Without the surge protecter you can damage electrical components in your coach.
IMO it is just prudent and a basic monitoring necessity similar to an oil gauge.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 AM   #4

Until you get one installed, you can help yourself with low-voltage situations by getting, a "Kil a Watt", available on line or at most big box stores.
It will tell you what the actual voltage is within your coach (as well as watts and other info). For $13, it's money well spent.

Lightning strikes are rare, but can happen. Low voltage can happen at any park that gets full on hot days, and has perhaps an older power grid supplying it. It's fine when you get there, then volts start dropping around dinner time.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hd19735 View Post
Absolutely and I stronly recommend a Progressinve Industries HW50C. Have it mounted (or you can do it yourself) in the electrical bay prior to the transfer switch. If you have the remote display unit (also recommended) you can mount that anywhere in the coach.

The Progressive will protect you from high or low voltages, mis-wired pedistals, frequency problems, open grounds, surges, etc. and, it has a lifetime warranty.

BTW, your transfer switch has a small amount of surge protection built in and you do have some, albeit limited, protection already.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Absolutely and I stronly recommend a Progressinve Industries HW50C. Have it mounted (or you can do it yourself) in the electrical bay prior to the transfer switch. If you have the remote display unit (also recommended) you can mount that anywhere in the coach.

The Progressive will protect you from high or low voltages, mis-wired pedistals, frequency problems, open grounds, surges, etc. and, it has a lifetime warranty.

BTW, your transfer switch has a small amount of surge protection built in and you do have some, albeit limited, protection already.

Totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hd19735 View Post

The confusion on this subject arises from the names people use. If your Phaeton has a built-in Electrical Management System-- EMS-- the important thing is to know just what aspects it manages. Is it primarily a switching device, or does it monitor and guard against failings in the electricity, like high or low voltage, lost neutral, hot neutral, surge suppression, etc.? This is important. This is the kind of thing the Progressive Industries unit does.

You ask "...Do I need a surge protector on a 2015 Phaeton...". If you already have a full function EMS, I'd say no. In any event, do not buy anything that only bills itself as a surge protector. A power surge is the LEAST likely problem you might encounter-- about as likely as a lightening strike. It's the low voltage and lost ground/neutral that are the real bugaboos that could damage your equipment, be dangerous, and are more likely in campgrounds- particularly older parks. That's why a full-function EMS is recommended.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of the new transfer switches have all the bells and whistles built in. We replaced our old "2008 model year" with a new TRC 40250. It has all the features of the the PI PT50C or the hard wired equivalent.

We are running a Power Master VC 50 in front of the PT50C and both in front of the transfer switch. The new transfer switches are expensive so hopefully the protection in front of it will sacrifice itself and save the switch should an issue arise.

http://trci.net/products/surge-guard...s-hardwire-rvc
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Imagine running water to your coach without some form of a pressure regulator. Lots of bad stuff can happen. Same sort of situation with electricity but WAY MORE expensive. Folks well tell you it has never happened to them. Me - I've got a fairly large investment in my coach and $320 to insure that it doesn't get fried at an RV park is fairly reasonable.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote