Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 06:55 AM   #15

Sorry, I missed his previous post.

Clearly you do not need a second surge protector. It will have no additional function except to pad the sales person's sales records.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #16

Thanks everyone
Old 05-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Sorry, I missed his previous post.

Clearly you do not need a second surge protector. It will have no additional function except to pad the sales person's sales records.
I disagree. In wiring homes I have always installed a whole house surge protector like the Eaton stand alone unit or the Schneider breaker type. That said, I can’t count the times a lightning strike close by will also take out anything with an integrated circuit board. Consider your RV. Items that have a built in ic board: water heater, furnace, refer, microwave, tvs, dvd, amp, converter, ac units, laptops, subwoofer etc. All these items also require a point of use surge protector, either a power strip with integrated surge protection or a stand alone point of use surge outlet. In my RV, I have a progressive industries HW50C unit that has an integrated sacraficial surge protector but I also installed a whole house surge protector in the first two slots of the main panel, and for sensitive electronic equipment I also use stand alone outlets and in other locations, like my converter in the basement, a power strip.
Surge protectors are rated in joules of suppression and they sacrifice themselves to protect your gear. I’m simplifying here but generally the higher the number, the more protection they offer. The HW50C is rated around 2800 joules. My stand alone surge protectors power strips are rated at 4500 joules, the stand alone outlets are rated at 3200 joules. I have 3 layers of protection. Consider the cost of every ic circuit board in every appliance alone. Most electricians know that point of use surge protection is warranted to further protect all those pieces of equipment, especially considering the low cost of point of use suppressors. Most high joules rated power strips cost 20-30$. Alsoconsider where you do the majority of your camping. Are they older campgrounds with failing electrical infrastructure? Do you camp in the east or the west? East coast electrical storms wreak havoc on electrical systems; Just ask any south Floridian how much they spent on repairs after a storm even with a whole house surge suppressor. Paul R.Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:31 AM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a reason for double protection in some instances. On my coach, Newmar uses a Surge Guard, combination unit. It's both a surge protection unit and transfer switch. It gives surge protection with over and under power protection. The only issue, if it takes a hit, you lose your transfer switch. Consequently, many of us run a second portable 50 amp SurgeGuard unit at the pedestal. The pedestal unit will take the hit in a surge situation and is cheap to replace at $100.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:42 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My thoughts on portable vs hardwired. Both.

I have Progressive Industries hardwired full EMS. Plus Hughes Watchdog surge only portable at the pedistal.

Belt and suspenders surge protection.

If a surge large enough to do damage to the units, hopefully the external will protect all in coach. If the hardwired also gets damaged, I'd be glad to have had double protection.

Can get basic check of pedistal - right at the pedistal or before even putting the coach on the site.

As for a malfunction of the hardwired, the Progresduve EMS has a bypass switch. Disables all the checking/gating functions.

In the possibility of theft - the portable surge only is less costly than the full EMS. Protection remains.

Additionally I carry wire cable blocks that would allow me to readily physically remove the hardware EMS or transfer switch from the circuit if need be. If need to remove for service I still have the portable fir surge protection.

Any surge only portable can be used. The Hughes provides Bluetooth app for voltage and amps on my phone. Readings I don't otherwise have in my coach.

Imho. Ymmv.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:04 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Progressive 50amp EMS unit hardwired in my power bay, next to my transfer switch. I also have a 50amp Progressive basic surge protector which I plug into the pedestal. It has lights on it to tell me if the power is correct for boh legs, correct wiring, reversed polarity, open neutral, open ground. I always plug it into the ped first, turn on the power, and if all is good, I turn the power off, plug in the coach, and power back on. The Hardwired EMS will not connect the coach if the amp and voltage level is not what it wants to see. I am protected from many potential power problems including brown outs, which can be as dangerous as a surge. I am also protected from lightning as much as one can be. Any problems and the EMS will shut off the power.

So yes I use two surge protectors if you want to look at that way.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:51 PM   #21

Hi, I see you have the same kind of EMS surge protector I do by progressive industries. Who I guess now is out of business so I can’t figure this out. I am parked at someone’s house and have my AC on low and it shuts off with an X flashing at the end and no code errors which is weird. It just stops resets and starts itself and then shuts down again or it may not. Have you had a problem like this thank you, Lynn.
Roofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Progressive Industries is still in business. Link below: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Under the 'Contact Us' tab there are phone numbers for Customer Service and Technical support:

Customer Service:
Phone: 1-800-307-6702 press 1
Fax: 1-800-799-3779

Technical Support
Phone: 1-800-307-6702 press 2

tech.progressive@oneasg.com

Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:29 AM   #23

Ours came with a built-in surge protection system. I added a Progressive 50 amp pedestal surge protector for two reasons. One, it checks the pedestal voltage and power quality BEFORE I plug in my RV. Second, it's a LOT easier and cheaper to replace than the built-in system if something goes bad.
Hermes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes2 View Post
Ours came with a built-in surge protection system. I added a Progressive 50 amp pedestal surge protector for two reasons. One, it checks the pedestal voltage and power quality BEFORE I plug in my RV. Second, it's a LOT easier and cheaper to replace than the built-in system if something goes bad.
The main reason I have the EMS is all the EXTRA analysis and protection it provides. The built in surge suppression only provides basic surge suppression, while the progressive EMS protects against all sorts of things like low voltage, high voltage, and a plethora of other conditions that can damage all that sensitive electronics that is present on all modern RVs. I would never plug into any campground pedestal without it.
It has saved my bacon more than once with low voltage shutoff at campgrounds when everyone is running all of their ac units.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:42 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
Hi, I see you have the same kind of EMS surge protector I do by progressive industries. Who I guess now is out of business so I can’t figure this out. I am parked at someone’s house and have my AC on low and it shuts off with an X flashing at the end and no code errors which is weird. It just stops resets and starts itself and then shuts down again or it may not. Have you had a problem like this thank you, Lynn.
This is news to me that they are out of business. Please, if you are going to post this type of information, verify it is actually true.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:07 AM   #26

Two thoughts -

I prefer to plug a unit into the pedestal and see the readings of voltage, etc on each leg, and overall health of the pedestal circuit - BEFORE plugging in the coach. Yes, belt and suspenders.

Also, a surge protector/ EMS will not protect devices inside the rig if there is an internal short circuit. I once did that by mistake. The plug bar for power for several of our tv/entertainment system devices we kept in an enclosed cabinet.

I was replacing the DVD/Blue-ray player and did not realize there was a significant amount of dust on top of the plug bar. It shorted as I went to plug in the new unit before removing the old one.

Good news was the the GFCI circuit blew, and the breaker for the circuit. Had to replace both, along with the plug bar, the TV, the DVD (both), the Dish receiver box, and a couple other things the DW had plugged into that circuit. But only that one circuit.

My fault for not checking. Now I put painters' tape over every unused outlet on a plug bar.

Recently my Progressive Industries Portable at the pedestal was fried and had to be replaced. Electric company blew a transformer. First replacement in the middle of Saturday night was good.

Second replacement during a normal business day, well, something was wrong.

Now I'm unhappy about the $350 to replace it. But they are readily available a couple places in Fort Worth or Waco.

The surge protector/ EMS is supposed to sacrifice itself to protect the coach. It did its job properly.
OldBaldFat is offline   Reply With Quote