Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #15

Has anybody had one stolen from the pedestal? We are trying to figure out if it's worth it to have one hardwired into the RV itself.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
I just purchased the progressive hardwired 50 amp with the remote display.... Haven't installed it yet... Buddy of mine learned the hard way - 8K worth of damage because he didn't have one... Now has a portable one... Another friend has a portable one with the theft guard that locks it to the pedestal.... Too much troubled for me... Rather pay s little extra and have zero hassle hooking up...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stolen? No. Left behind? Yes! Luckily, friends were still at the park and mailed it to us. :-)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surge Guard here too. It is more money, but do the research and you'll probably agree. Either way, you want to protect the big investment.
Good Luck and let us know what you do and find.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Stolen? No. Left behind? Yes! Luckily, friends were still at the park and mailed it to us. :-)
That's great!

DH is worried that when we, say, are gone sightseeing for the day that somebody will make off with it. He's seen the locks but they looked sort of flimsy. If the chances of one getting stolen are slim, then I just as soon get the portable one.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless locked they are pretty easy to steal, so if that is a concern then having it built-in is a good way to go. I just noticed that Camping World has the built-in units on sale, and can be installed for about $130 more.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #21

Go built in, but wire it so you can wire around it by moving a plug end in case it fritzes out (stuff happens). Best of both worlds.
I have SurgeGuard hard wired w/remote display in coach because that's what the mfgr installed. If I was doing it myself, I'd go Progressive w/the remote display. Takes a while to wire in, but you can read power input from inside the coach on the display.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
We have the portable progressive 50 amp unit. It was the added peace of mind that was compelling. I found that a lot of pedestals have the cover that you can lock. And for the rest I bought the cover lock at CW. As for will it be stolen? Well I guess anything can be stolen including your power cord and stuff left around.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h
Has anybody had one stolen from the pedestal? We are trying to figure out if it's worth it to have one hardwired into the RV itself.
I installed my portable in the compartment where the plug is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3477811476.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	26137

Never have to handle it and no one knows it's there.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We have the built in Progressive 50 amp EMS and a 50 amp Autoformer installed in the electrical bay so we have good surge protection and over/under voltage protection. Like EngineerMike says above, we have installed both components with 50 amp male plugs on the inputs and 50 amp females plugs on the outputs. This way if something goes wrong with one of the components, it can easily be removed from the circuit for repair. There is controversy (of course) among people with this setup as to which component should be first in line - the Autoformer or the Progressive EMS. So, the male/female connectors give us the ability to put either component first as the need arises.

We don't worry about power problems with this setup and so far have not suffered internal equipment failures resulting from campground power issues.

Last but not least, these components can be moved from old motorhome to new motorhome without much hassle if and when you upgrade so they will be with us for our entire RV-ing lives. A worthwhile investment that will pay for itself over and over again.
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know about other folks. However, there is no way I will hook up to a pedestal without surge protection. I don't think there is much significant difference in Progressive or Surge Guard. However I believe that the Progressive lifetime warranty plus their excellant customer servive was the reason I bought the Progressive 50 amp portable. I bought the portable because if there should be a problem with it I can by-pass it if I want to. I've had mine for 2 yrs and never had it stolen. If yoou're worried about leaving it behind then you're not unhooking your power from the pedestal.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Bought a good bicycle stainless steel lock for my portable Progressive Industries product. Wrap around several time and locks with key. If somebody really wants to steal something, they probably could no matter what you do. If you don't need pedestal power to your RV when you leave for awhile, unplug and lock in one of your bays. I bought portable so I could transfer to another RV if required, bypass if required and Progressive offers a lifetime warranty.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just a quick note to clarify the difference between Surge Protection and electrical pedestal protection. There are devices that will do both and others that ONLY provide surge protection.

A surge protector will ONLY absorb the significant electrical spikes that occur whereas there are devices called EMS ( electrical management system) that will evaluate the quality of the electrical service being provided at the pedestal BEFORE allowing it into your RV and provide a level of surge protection for the electrical spikes.

Neither will protect you from a direct lightning strike.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too heartily recommend a surge guard system. Our has saved us several times and paid for itself several times too. I would add that it doesn't matter which type of RV you have. You need the surge guard. Everyone has air conditioners, TVs and microwaves that could be damaged by high or low voltage or surges.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote