Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Surge protector

We just purchased our first motorhome (we have a lot to learn!). My question is, how can we tell if it has a built in surge protector for plugging into land power at campgrounds, or if we need to purchase one? We have a 2006 Newmar Kountry Star 39' diesel. Thanks for any input you may have.
apfleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I haven't heard of any RV's that come with one built in.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Progressive HW50C hardwired surge protector with a remote display. Look in your bay to see if you see anytime of display.

Another indication will be if there is a time delay from when you plug in your power. Mine has a 15 second delay, enough time to analyze the power and either let it connect or disconnect.

Some of the transfer switches have surge protection. Find out what kind of the transfer switch you have.

Last recommendation is to call Newmar and ask for a build sheet or info on your coach.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

There is a box in the electric cabinet, IOTA ITS-50R Automatic transfer switch. I was searching online to see if that has anything to do with surge protection...
apfleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfleide View Post
There is a box in the electric cabinet, IOTA ITS-50R Automatic transfer switch. I was searching online to see if that has anything to do with surge protection...
That is strictly an automatic transfer switch and doesn't appear to have any surge protection at all. As mentioned before, the Progressive Industries HW50C is an excellent surge protection/power management system. It protects against over voltage, under voltage and surges. It has a display that shows voltage and amperage on each leg, plus the frequency and any fault codes. Mine has protected me twice from under voltage on faulty pedestals. It is an easy self installation, or if you don't feel qualified an electrician can do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI-HW50C.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	127139  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I haven't heard of any RV's that come with one built in.

There are actually quite a few that come with a transfer switch with surge protection built in. My 2014 Bounder is one of them.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Brian, your built in Transfer switch that is labeled "Surge Guard" has zero true surge, protection at all. Nothing for low voltage, nothing for high voltage, nothing for bad power poll connections,or bad grounds. After owning numerous rv's I know of none that come equipped with one either, other than salesmen telling you it has. Unless it is added in the order it is the buyers responsibility to install one or not
Old 05-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Brian, your built in Transfer switch that is labeled "Surge Guard" has zero true surge, protection at all. Nothing for low voltage, nothing for high voltage, nothing for bad power poll connections,or bad grounds. After owning numerous rv's I know of none that come equipped with one either, other than salesmen telling you it has. Unless it is added in the order it is the buyers responsibility to install one or not

Here is the info straight from the manual, as you can see it covers all the things you say it doesn't. There are several other units that come with them as well, at least the manufacturers models that we carry at the dealership I work at. Not a salesman by the way.

Straight from the manual:

Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.

Remote LCD Display

Plain English

Voltage and Current Indication

Fault Identification

Multi-mode surge suppression (fuse protected).

2 minute 15 Second Reset Delay Protects A/C

Auto Reset on Power Restoration

Protects against:

Excessive voltage, Low (<102V) and High (>132V)

Miswired pedestal

Open neutral

Open ground

High/low frequency

Reverse polarity

3350 Joules of power surge protection.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
apfleide

You wrote that you had an "IOTA ITS-50R Automatic transfer switch"

This transfer switch I believe is prone to problems and was part of a large recall. Do some checking and see if it needs to be replaced.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:30 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several ways to determine if you have a Surge Protector. Look in the area of your pump control and or generator control panel. See if there is a meter or power display device. If so then yes you do.
Another place to check is in the electrical bay where the Transfer Switch is located. You can also follow the end of the shore power cable to see what exactly it connects to, if it goes directly to the Transfer switch and the Transfer Switch is not a combo Surge Protector then you don't have one.

If you don't have one and want one there are a multitude of them out there. So choose wisely.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

You can buy a portable one or have one installed in a Bay. I have a one installed near the power cord--very handy and don't have to hassle with plugging one into the power pedestal
macbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After owning numerous rv's I know of none that come equipped with one either, other than salesmen telling you it has.
Simply not true at all. My 2004 American Tradition came with full power protection built into the transfer switch, and other higher-end models from Newmar, American Coach, and Country Coach did the same. It was standard equipment, not even a factory option. Nowadays, newer models often have them even in the lower and mid price range.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Djbmsu why do you make the statement built in transfer switch doesn't have those protections, just for my info. Do you think the portable ones work.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Now I am concerned that I don't have one but this is what I do have.
And this is what it says in the manual for my model #

"The Surge Guard line of automatic transfer switches ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps. Additional features include:

Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
Provides the following protection:
Open neutral
Reverse polarity
Time Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)
Multi-mode Surge Suppression
Mechanical interlocking contactors.
UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4636.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	127681  
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote