Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Surge Protector Advice.

After an incident with a circuit breaker on my CG pedestal, that somehow failed and under load only let 37v come through one line. Long story about what it took to diagnose it but I'll skip that. It took out the capacitors and control board on my Colman Mach 6535 basement AC. 1 new 50 amp breaker and $850 later all is good, but it has pushed me over the edge to go ahead and buy a surge/voltage protector.

I want one that has the replaceable module, reads of course the voltage and correct orientation of the incoming lines, open neutral, ground etc.

Now I also have one other situation involved. I winter in Mazatlan Mx, and Mexico in general is not known for power grid stability. 30 amp only is available and my beloved beach "trailer park" as they call it.

To handle the fluctuations in voltage I use a "self regulating voltage transformer" No you will not find one in the US. This is nothing more than a transformer in a box with some electronics that monitor the incoming voltage. In the trailer park, I have seen it as low as 109 and high as 139. Yes, the sola 4000 works. They use them all over in Mexico. No matter if the voltage is high or low it puts out a steady 117 to 121 volts. It is wired in a 30 amp RV extension cord. Plug the plug end in just like any 30 amp, cut it in the middle and install the transformer. You just cut it, run the hot leg in, hot leg out and the neutral and ground get wired straight through. Then at the outlet end, use a dog bone to plug the 30 amp into the 50 amp RV cord. So it is just like using a dog bone on a 30 amp service except it has a transformer in the middle.

My question is this. If I buy a good 50 amp surge protector, can I just plug it in the dog bone between the 50 amp outlet and plug? Do you use your 50 amp surge protector on a 30 amp service by just using a dog bone, then putting the surge protector in the 50 amp line? We never have had surge or lightning problems there, just the wide swing in voltage.

I'm not immune to buying a 30 amp and a 50 amp for when I am in the states, but if I plug a 30 amp into the receptacle, then the transformer, would that not shut all my power down if the voltage made a big swing?

I'm thinking the best way is to put it in after the transformer, but a 30 amp or 50 amp surge protector?

Thoughts?

And I know everybody has a favorite, but how about a recommendation on brand and model.

Thanks
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You say that the transformer is in a 30 amp cord.

You should place the surge protector after any transformer device.

Thus the input to the surge protector is 30 amp. Buy a 30 amp EMS unit otherwise with a 50 amp EMS you'll be adding another dogbone or two.

In our 5th wheeler that is setup for 50 amp I have a EMS unit hard wired inside the RV. Never a question if it is being used or not. And it does not matter if I plug into 30 amp service using a dogbone, 30 amp to 50 amp. In reality I have a 30 foot power cable that functions as a dogbone. 30 amp male, 50 amp female to RV connection. I also carry a 50 amp main power cord plus 30 foot extensions for both and every adapter known to the RV world.

Even with a built-in EMS I always use a simple plugin power tester before I connect the RV's power cord. I may use a stack of adapters to go from 30 or 50 amp feeds to the 120 20 amp female needed for the tester.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you go up to the Google search box & type Progressive Industries, you'll get more reading material on the subject than you ever need to know.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend the Progressive Industries EMS series 50A protection devices, either the HW50C hardwired or the PT50X portable! You can't go wrong with either of those!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #5

A 50amp EMS will protect everything on down, ie 50a, 30a or 20a with the appropriate dogbone connection(s). A 50a will just cost a bit more. Won’t regret having one!!
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:31 PM   #6

I too recommend Progressive Industries
Our RV park in NC took a lighting hit - fried the Progressive unit , but saved MH electronics
Progressive replaced unit for free
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I too recommend Progressive Industries
Our RV park in NC took a lighting hit - fried the Progressive unit , but saved MH electronics
Progressive replaced unit for free
+1

I would also highly recommend Progressive Industries! When I bought my Progressive EMS 4 years ago, it stopped working the first month that I had it. I don’t know what went wrong but I contacted Progressive and they said that they would send me a replacement. Since I was headed south from VA the next day, I said I would come to their office in Apex, NC and pick it up. When I arrived, they did not have any of the same model that I had purchased so they gave me an upgraded model instead. No issues since then and I will never connect to shore power without it!
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:41 AM   #8

Progressive EMS...yes....another vote!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice